November Elections

Old Nov 5th 2014, 3:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: November Elections

Originally Posted by Boiler
..... Matters more of course as to how things pan out now, having the likes of Reid sidelined has to be positive.

Anyway on to 2016.
As I see it, the Republicans have about 18 months to prove they can do something useful, and find an electable presidential candidate, otherwise the pendulum will swing right back in 2016.

If they can't/ don't/ won't then they don't deserve to be in office. Given that they successfully found electable candidates in 2014, unlike in 2012, I am cautiously optimistic that the vast majority of Republican members of Congress will recognise that it is more useful to be an elected pragmatic conservative than an unelectable purist.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I need a party that will base their policies on scientific, logical, data driven, provable processes and policies.
That will keep their nose out of naive ideological social experimentation, but respect and support peoples right to social equality.
That recognizes religion as a cultural/historical artifact.
And that recognizes the middle class as being the socioeconomic driver in this country.

Probably won't find it here.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hotscot
But, but...that would take more than one sound bite and the American public just won't accept that.

(Good summary.)
The American Public that vote either way will in the main vote D or R no matter what.

I find it very doubtful that Ebola, Syria whatever in themselves resulted in more than a handful switching, my assumption would be either a general dissatisfaction or perhaps those voting for Change pissed that they were conned.

Like last time my assumption is that it is up to the Repubs to lose in 2016.

If you are a Dems the good news is that they are more than capable of doing so.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

But, but...that would take more than one sound bite and the American public just won't accept that.
How about this sound bite or a sign.

Bush about Putin: "I looked in his eyes and saw his soul."

Nothing other than that has to be said.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

I need a party that will base their policies on scientific, logical, data driven, provable processes and policies.
That will keep their nose out of naive ideological social experimentation, but respect and support peoples right to social equality.
That recognizes religion as a cultural/historical artifact.
And that recognizes the middle class as being the socioeconomic driver in this country.

Probably won't find it here.
Or anywhere else.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
You appear to underestimate the steely determination of the GOP, and their primary voters, to put forward the best available candidate for president in 2016.
I don't have much faith in the GOP to nominate the right candidate; although to be honest, in Romney, they probably did nominate the best candidate for 2012, it just wasn't good enough.

In 2016 the overwhelming front-runner for the Democrat nomination will be Hillary. The difficulty with her is her very strong polling among white women - that would take away a good chunk of the support the GOP usually gets in an election.

How do you neutralize that ? - the best way would be to nominate a woman but there are none in the field for the GOP presidential nomination and no credible candidates for the VP ticket. Another problem is that the party remains dominated by social conservatives; that will prevent it from broadening its base and appealing to the young. A more moderate candidate would have a good chance, but they would have to get through a very tough GOP primary; that means you have to shift to the right, and then back again when it comes to the main campaign. Clinton by contrast will have a very easy primary.

I think Jeb is the best of the GOP 2016 field but he is vulnerable to the far right on immigration and education and it will be hard for him.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Given that they successfully found electable candidates in 2014, unlike in 2012, and 2010
FIFY.

This year they didn't have any witches.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
In my opinion, it the same problem that the democrats have had since Obama came into office which is that they can't seem to get a positive message out and in this election, it was much worst in that they didn't even try to but instead tried to hide from issues. The republicans on the other hand don't have to explain how they are going to solve problems but only have to be against anything that is not working correctly.
  • Obamcare: Republicans are still beating up on Obamacare but when polled, about 65% of the Americans don't want it repealed. The republicans claim that Obamacare will just raise the cost of healthcare but the healthcare inflation has been the lowest in over 50 years.
  • Budget Deficit, Taxes, and the Economy: Americans love tax cuts and a low budget deficit but during the Bush administration, the budget deficit turned from surplus to an average budget deficit of 7.5% per year. However Americans were happy since the republicans gave them tax cuts, inflated housing prices that they could use as a piggy bank, and unemployment was low. Initially the republicans beat up on Obama about the budget deficit but during fiscal year 2014 (Oct 2013-Sept 2014), the deficit dropped to 2.8% and the republicans remained quiet and so did the democrats. Although the US economy has performed better than any other developed economy with the economy constantly expanding (although at a moderate rate) where it will soon be the longest continuous expansion in history, continuous job creation, and a low unemployment rate compared to other countries, the republicans say the economy is bad and the democrats say .That's understandable since Americans no longer have their piggy bank, under employment is still high, and they haven't been getting the tax cuts that the republicans seem to deliver on but the democrats run away from the issue.
  • Gridlock: Republicans say it's all Obama's fault but Obama tried to engage the republicans on Obamacare by duplicating Romney's health care plan and the Heritage Foundation republicans plan proposed as an alternate health care plan during the Clinton administration and opposed a "single payer" plan since there wouldn't be any republican support but even with that plan, not one single republican would discuss supporting the plan or any version of the plan other than a total free market plan. On the other hand, the republican house tried to repeal Obamacare 50 times which is a likely record and the Tea Party has said many times that "compromise is a bad word" and the only thing that is acceptable is their way on all issues.
  • Ebola: The republicans have a good sound bite to make Americans afraid of Ebola and the problem is caused by Obama. Although no American has died from Ebola, the fear and blame is there and the democrats don't even attempt to explain that they are trying to control it in Africa and not just trying to create hysteria.
  • Iraq and Syria: The republicans have blamed Obama for everything that has gone wrong in the middle east never mentioning that the Iraq war has caused a lot of the problems. The republicans don't have a plan but all say they would have bombed Syria and armed the rebels but don't mention that our allies in the Middle East armed the rebels and that is the primary problem.
  • Russia and Ukraine: This is Obama's fault but the republicans haven't said what they'd do except punch Putin.
When the democrats ran this year's campaign, they kept their heads down and distanced themselves from Obama hoping that nobody would notice those issues. Maybe be they can't explain those issues to he American public but if they don't try, they are guaranteed to lose.
Thx. I didn't need you to prove my point, but thanks anyway.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
I think Jeb is the best of the GOP 2016 field but he is vulnerable to the far right on immigration and education and it will be hard for him.
I agree but 3 Bushes and 2 Clintons.

I especially liked G. H.W. Bush and like Jeb but that's not much of a name for a president (going from a Muslim to a redneck). Even G.W. Bush I liked but I didn't understand why we were going intro Iraq, didn't like his close ties to the religious right, he surrounded himself with neo cons, and by no means was a fiscal conservative.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

On first glance I was actually surprised about the many left leaning props that were passed last night.

Gun background checks.
Many minimum wage agreements
Marijuana
etc.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:20 pm

.... I didn't understand why we were going intro Iraq, .....
So you had that in common with W!
On first glance I was actually surprised about the many left leaning props that were passed last night.

Gun background checks.
Marijuana
etc.
I don't know that they are "left leaning" issues.* Americans are natural libertarians. ..... If the Libertarians could find a way to get from where they are, to a majority in Congress, they'd turn the US into a one party state.

* Personally I don't give a stuff if losers want to waste their life doped-up on weed or for that matter, end it with heroin. Nor what they do with other consenting adults behind the privacy of their own front door. I can just do without hearing about it on prime time TV or in parades through the center of town.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 5th 2014 at 4:27 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:21 pm
Account Closed

Gun background checks.
Marijuana
etc.
The only issue that strikes me as left is Gun related. I thought that was just one Dem State but may have missed it.

I know Hickenlooper who seems to have survived just was backing away from the Dem legislation passed in Colorado and MJ among people I know is not a party issue.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gun background checks.
Marijuana
etc.
What was more surprising were some of the states that passed minimum wage referendums (Alaska, Arkansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota).
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:26 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

[*] Obamcare: Republicans are still beating up on Obamacare but when polled, about 65% of the Americans don't want it repealed.
95% of all statistics are made up...

A new survey finds that 51 percent of people who used the government-run Obamacare health insurance exchanges in the past year say they will not to do so again when open enrollment resumes Nov. 15.
Half of Obamacare exchange users plan to bail out: Survey.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:29 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

We aught to bring in Gun Control to the debate

Interesting timing of this release of documents.

Justice Dept. turns over 64K pages of withheld Fast and Furious documents - Washington Times

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.