Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

no green card lotto in UK..Why?

no green card lotto in UK..Why?

Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:09 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: no green card lotto in UK..Why?

Originally Posted by CoolHandFluke
my thinking is that life would be a lot more rewarding being in California, I wouldn't want to get away on vacay as much as I do here...
Yeah, there is a honeymoon period. But ultimately, you're doing similar things. Running errands. Driving to work.

To Sultan, there's a difference in the type of rain and how it is delivered. When I lived in Atlanta, we had torrential rain. It was so loud; large droplets flung down from the heavens with such force that rain would bounce up off the asphalt 18 inches. A rain episode was short, violent and spectacular. And then the sun came back out.
In Britain, at least as I recall, it sort of thinks about raining for five days. Overcast, drizzle.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

CoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really nice

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Best that it's not a surprise though, don't you think? I'm not telling you not to move here, I love California, just be aware that different isn't always better, that road leads to culture shock and disappointment.

As long as you are aware of the major differences - like health insurance, laughably shite vacation allowances, virtually no employee rights beyond very basic stuff you'll be grand. Try to look at it as an additive experience though, not that the US will replace the UK, but it will widen your outlook. Of course, if you're moving here for work and it's with an international company, you may be insulated from some of the more crappy aspects of employers compared with Europe.
yeah mate, iv got my eyes wide open, im a hard working guy, always have been, iv researched health care etc, im not phased by that, I think its a good thing, here in the uk the system is abused by the lazy, i look at the move as an adventure, a working vacation so to speak, I just think we would be happier, maybe not, im open to that too, but the uk wont be shut if we got the opportunity to try the us, at least we would have tried!
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like today may be the last day above freezing for a few months, it is when it blows that gets me.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:12 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
To Sultan, there's a difference in the type of rain and how it is delivered. When I lived in Atlanta, we had torrential rain. It was so loud; large droplets flung down from the heavens with such force that rain would bounce up off the asphalt 18 inches. A rain episode was short, violent and spectacular. And then the sun came back out.
In Britain, at least as I recall, it sort of thinks about raining for five days. Overcast, drizzle.
We get the heavy rain here too in spring during thunderstorm season. I like all rain in general - now, that doesn't always mean I want to be standing around outside in it but just the concept of it, the atmosphere of a grey sky and the smell of the concrete after it's over, all that poetic stuff. I enjoy overcast days every bit as much as a sunny day, though autumn is still my favorite time of year and round my way it can be reasonably sunny and warm during September and October. I don't think I'll ever like snow though, the novelty wore off that crap pretty damn quick once we moved out of an apartment and I had a job to drive to and a driveway to shovel.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

CoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really nice

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Yeah, there is a honeymoon period. But ultimately, you're doing similar things. Running errands. Driving to work.

yes you got that right! In the uk when its not raining it looks like it going to!!
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:14 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

yeah mate, iv got my eyes wide open, im a hard working guy, always have been, iv researched health care etc, im not phased by that, I think its a good thing, here in the uk the system is abused by the lazy, i look at the move as an adventure, a working vacation so to speak, I just think we would be happier, maybe not, im open to that too, but the uk wont be shut if we got the opportunity to try the us, at least we would have tried!
That's fair enough. Like I said, I'm not trying to scare you, I like it here just fine. Though I disagree with you 100% on healthcare, the US system redefines the word bullshit and if you're going to start down that 'benefits are for the lazy' road, look for someone else to walk it with you.

Do you actually have a visa in the works to come here in the first place, or are you just at the research stage for now?
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes Christmas Day.
so you work everyday but Christmas day?
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:17 pm
I have a comma problem

so you work everyday but Christmas day?
No, we also get New Year's Day off, Thanksgiving in November, Memorial Day in May, July 4th and Labor Day in September. Normally everyone gets those unless they work retail or they're a nurse or a paramedic or something like that.

Banks and schools get a few more days off than that though as do public sector workers. Not as many as the UK - I do miss my 12 bank holidays every year
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

That's fair enough. Like I said, I'm not trying to scare you, I like it here just fine. Though I disagree with you 100% on healthcare, the US system redefines the word bullshit and if you're going to start down that 'benefits are for the lazy' road, look for someone else to walk it with you.

Do you actually have a visa in the works to come here in the first place, or are you just at the research stage for now?
when I say benefits are for the lazy, I mean here in the uk it gets abused, there are obviously people who need and deserve it, but like you say I don't wanna talk about that stuff!!

just researching for now mate, and to be honest it don't look too good from my research so far, a criminal record doesn't help I guess!!! I was offered a couple of jobs when I returned from vacation in California last month, silly me thought that was the hard part done!! iv learnt fast since being on here its not !!!
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

No, we also get New Year's Day off, Thanksgiving in November, Memorial Day in May, July 4th and Labor Day in September. Normally everyone gets those unless they work retail or they're a nurse or a paramedic or something like that.

Banks and schools get a few more days off than that though as do public sector workers. Not as many as the UK - I do miss my 12 bank holidays every year
I guess the holidays or lack off would be a culture shock no doubt as iv worked for myself for the past 10 years !!!
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:21 pm
I have a comma problem

when I say benefits are for the lazy, I mean here in the uk it gets abused, there are obviously people who need and deserve it, but like you say I don't wanna talk about that stuff!!
No worries, we cool.

just researching for now mate, and to be honest it don't look too good from my research so far, a criminal record doesn't help I guess!!! I was offered a couple of jobs when I returned from vacation in California last month, silly me thought that was the hard part done!! iv learnt fast since being on here its not !!!
Best of luck either way - a criminal record doesn't necessarily mean outright denial, you just need to be more careful with the process.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

No worries, we cool.

Best of luck either way - a criminal record doesn't necessarily mean outright denial, you just need to be more careful with the process.
thanks mate, im giving it my all to get a visa, a huge up hill struggle, but I wont give in!!
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:27 pm
I have a comma problem

thanks mate, im giving it my all to get a visa, a huge up hill struggle, but I wont give in!!
Well you'll never get there if you don't at least try. As long as you're realistic about your expectations you'll be fine.

Not sure how the record affects other countries, but don't rule out Canada or Australia either.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Well you'll never get there if you don't at least try. As long as you're realistic about your expectations you'll be fine.

Not sure how the record affects other countries, but don't rule out Canada or Australia either.
austrailia is an option, although I never been there, I got family in perth…. Canada a definite no from me, toooo cold for my liking !!
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:47 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

austrailia is an option, although I never been there, I got family in perth…. Canada a definite no from me, toooo cold for my liking !!
Not all of Canada is cold. Check out the Vancouver area, British Columbia. There is some beautiful country there, if you like the great outdoors. Yes, that is a vinyard.

The whole of California is headed up that way anyway, thanks to the tectonic plates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.