Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

News media, scrutiny of...

News media, scrutiny of...

Old Dec 18th 2013, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Dave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really nice
Default News media, scrutiny of...

Being the cynical individual that I am, I like to believe that the news media in Britain is sensationalist at best and I often see the results of this around me whereby people believe what they have said without question.

The phenomenon was recently played out with regard to the unfortunate helicopter accident in Glasgow where sadly, several people lost their lives. Having worked with helicopters all of my life as an Aerospace Engineer, I was able to apply a "crap" filter to the technical information in these news reports and found that even with reputable news organizations such as the BBC, the crap filter still needed liberal application.

I am curious therefore, of the BBCs latest endeavor to slate anything American and wonder perhaps if they're talking similar crap here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25374638

Not being an expert at all, though it would seem to me, that the process of having an immigrant visa and then being in possession of a valid PRC/Green card are two different events each pertaining an entirely different application process and subsequent scrutiny as part of that process. Interested for your views - I will caveat that I've not seen the video clip as I am at work and such things are banned here.

May the re-calibration of the crap filter commence!
Old Dec 18th 2013, 1:54 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News media, scrutiny of...

Originally Posted by Dave2726
Being the cynical individual that I am, I like to believe that the news media in Britain is sensationalist at best
I couldn't disagree more. The English media is some of the best in the world. The BBC, for all its faults and wasted spending, is still probably the finest media organisation in the world. It's certainly the most respected. Our broadsheets are superb also.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 3:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone does a crap job of US immigration stories, so this isn't really anything unexpected.

EB5 is the investment visa and yes, you basically are buying the visa to get into the country, which then becomes a greencard when you're here and it's a added bonus if you make a profit or even get your investment money back. That's a simplistic over view of how it works, but they're not really wrong.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

As it says, "The visas have been available since the 1990s, when Europeans were the main beneficiaries."

It seems to be newsworthy because Chinese citizens now represent a majority of the applicants.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Dave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really nice

Fair enough! I am not that up on immigration issues anyway which is why I am here!

In any case, I can give expert opinion on the BBCs reporting of the Glasgow accident. Some of the things I read, purely from a technical point of view, were absolutely wrong and a couple of their claims/reports were technically impossible.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw a media story the other day about Malta considering something similar. You invest so many hundreds of thousands, and in return you get an EU passport with full voting rights. A visas to live/work in the UK, with the right amount of investment also exists, IIRC.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 4:19 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave2726
Fair enough! I am not that up on immigration issues anyway which is why I am here!

In any case, I can give expert opinion on the BBCs reporting of the Glasgow accident. Some of the things I read, purely from a technical point of view, were absolutely wrong and a couple of their claims/reports were technically impossible.
I don't think you've experienced the American media yet. You will forgive the BBC everything when / if you relocate here.

I religiously watch Channel 4 News still each night. There is no news here that's remotely close to the same quality.

Just look at the 60 Minutes (an alleged 'quality' programme) PR piece they did for the NSA. Panorama wouldn't have aired that bullshit.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 5:44 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I couldn't disagree more. The English media is some of the best in the world. The BBC, for all its faults and wasted spending, is still probably the finest media organisation in the world. It's certainly the most respected. Our broadsheets are superb also.
As much as I hate to admit it, I find myself agreeing with all this. The 'news' here is just total rubbish - and honestly I can forgive the news media erring on 'technical' issues, as a commercial aviation buff most of the stuff put out after the SFO Asiana crash was tosh too, but they didn't know any better.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I don't think you've experienced the American media yet. You will forgive the BBC everything when / if you relocate here.

I religiously watch Channel 4 News still each night. There is no news here that's remotely close to the same quality.

Just look at the 60 Minutes (an alleged 'quality' programme) PR piece they did for the NSA. Panorama wouldn't have aired that bullshit.
Originally Posted by civilservant
As much as I hate to admit it, I find myself agreeing with all this. The 'news' here is just total rubbish - and honestly I can forgive the news media erring on 'technical' issues, as a commercial aviation buff most of the stuff put out after the SFO Asiana crash was tosh too, but they didn't know any better.
Agreed. They may fall down on very technical/scientific issues but you'll be crying out for it when you get here.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. The news media in this country is normally not worth watching. That is why I watch PBS news hour, and listen to NPR.