British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   News media, scrutiny of... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/news-media-scrutiny-818213/)

Dave2726 Dec 18th 2013 11:08 am

News media, scrutiny of...

Being the cynical individual that I am, I like to believe that the news media in Britain is sensationalist at best and I often see the results of this around me whereby people believe what they have said without question.

The phenomenon was recently played out with regard to the unfortunate helicopter accident in Glasgow where sadly, several people lost their lives. Having worked with helicopters all of my life as an Aerospace Engineer, I was able to apply a "crap" filter to the technical information in these news reports and found that even with reputable news organizations such as the BBC, the crap filter still needed liberal application.

I am curious therefore, of the BBCs latest endeavor to slate anything American and wonder perhaps if they're talking similar crap here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25374638

Not being an expert at all, though it would seem to me, that the process of having an immigrant visa and then being in possession of a valid PRC/Green card are two different events each pertaining an entirely different application process and subsequent scrutiny as part of that process. Interested for your views - I will caveat that I've not seen the video clip as I am at work and such things are banned here.

May the re-calibration of the crap filter commence!

hungryhorace Dec 18th 2013 1:54 pm

Re: News media, scrutiny of...

Originally Posted by Dave2726 (Post 11043111)
Being the cynical individual that I am, I like to believe that the news media in Britain is sensationalist at best

I couldn't disagree more. The English media is some of the best in the world. The BBC, for all its faults and wasted spending, is still probably the finest media organisation in the world. It's certainly the most respected. Our broadsheets are superb also.

Bob Dec 18th 2013 3:23 pm

Everyone does a crap job of US immigration stories, so this isn't really anything unexpected.

EB5 is the investment visa and yes, you basically are buying the visa to get into the country, which then becomes a greencard when you're here and it's a added bonus if you make a profit or even get your investment money back. That's a simplistic over view of how it works, but they're not really wrong.

Sally Redux Dec 18th 2013 3:37 pm

As it says, "The visas have been available since the 1990s, when Europeans were the main beneficiaries."

It seems to be newsworthy because Chinese citizens now represent a majority of the applicants.

Dave2726 Dec 18th 2013 3:38 pm

Fair enough! I am not that up on immigration issues anyway which is why I am here!

In any case, I can give expert opinion on the BBCs reporting of the Glasgow accident. Some of the things I read, purely from a technical point of view, were absolutely wrong and a couple of their claims/reports were technically impossible.

Bluegrass Lass Dec 18th 2013 3:40 pm

Just saw a media story the other day about Malta considering something similar. You invest so many hundreds of thousands, and in return you get an EU passport with full voting rights. A visas to live/work in the UK, with the right amount of investment also exists, IIRC.

hungryhorace Dec 18th 2013 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Dave2726 (Post 11043535)
Fair enough! I am not that up on immigration issues anyway which is why I am here!

In any case, I can give expert opinion on the BBCs reporting of the Glasgow accident. Some of the things I read, purely from a technical point of view, were absolutely wrong and a couple of their claims/reports were technically impossible.

I don't think you've experienced the American media yet. You will forgive the BBC everything when / if you relocate here.

I religiously watch Channel 4 News still each night. There is no news here that's remotely close to the same quality.

Just look at the 60 Minutes (an alleged 'quality' programme) PR piece they did for the NSA. Panorama wouldn't have aired that bullshit.

civilservant Dec 18th 2013 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11043375)
I couldn't disagree more. The English media is some of the best in the world. The BBC, for all its faults and wasted spending, is still probably the finest media organisation in the world. It's certainly the most respected. Our broadsheets are superb also.

As much as I hate to admit it, I find myself agreeing with all this. The 'news' here is just total rubbish - and honestly I can forgive the news media erring on 'technical' issues, as a commercial aviation buff most of the stuff put out after the SFO Asiana crash was tosh too, but they didn't know any better.

Sally Redux Dec 18th 2013 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11043587)
I don't think you've experienced the American media yet. You will forgive the BBC everything when / if you relocate here.

I religiously watch Channel 4 News still each night. There is no news here that's remotely close to the same quality.

Just look at the 60 Minutes (an alleged 'quality' programme) PR piece they did for the NSA. Panorama wouldn't have aired that bullshit.

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 11043728)
As much as I hate to admit it, I find myself agreeing with all this. The 'news' here is just total rubbish - and honestly I can forgive the news media erring on 'technical' issues, as a commercial aviation buff most of the stuff put out after the SFO Asiana crash was tosh too, but they didn't know any better.

Agreed. They may fall down on very technical/scientific issues but you'll be crying out for it when you get here.

Redwing Dec 18th 2013 9:46 pm

I agree. The news media in this country is normally not worth watching. That is why I watch PBS news hour, and listen to NPR.