Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Never thought I'd live to see this day..

Never thought I'd live to see this day..

Old Feb 25th 2019, 12:04 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Never thought I'd live to see this day..

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Well, not everywhere, of course. For me, growing up in Australia in the 1940s & '50s, a black person ("blackfella") was a full-blood Australian aborigine. And I seem to recall reading somewhere that the original use, in British English at least, of what we must call "the N-word", was for Indian-Indians in and from India. (Is that correct?) The US and UK usage would have derived from the African slave-trade. I myself have never considered "black" as having any racial connotation, except in the US and UK. Not even in the West Indies, as I indicated before.

It's a corruption of negro, which is Spanish for black and originally referred to any dark skinned person. Its use as a perjorative came later.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It's a corruption of negro, which is Spanish for black and originally referred to any dark skinned person. Its use as a pejorative came later.
Yes, indeed, but to which people(s) was the English variant of the Spanish word first applied in English? In writing, let's say. I have an idea Kipling used it - as a descriptive, not as a pejorative - but he wouldn't have been the first.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 1:27 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, indeed, but to which people(s) was the English variant of the Spanish word first applied in English? In writing, let's say. I have an idea Kipling used it - as a descriptive, not as a pejorative - but he wouldn't have been the first.
With its current spelling? 1800s, to those of Sub Saharan African origin. Mark Twain springs to mind.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

With its current spelling? 1800s, to those of Sub Saharan African origin. Mark Twain springs to mind.
OK, thanks, Brit. Always good to know useless facts;I'm a sucker for them. Roll on the next pub quiz!
Old Feb 25th 2019, 1:52 am

OK, thanks, Brit. Always good to know useless facts;I'm a sucker for them. Roll on the next pub quiz!
I suspect it would be quite the edgy pub quiz that featured that as a question!
Old Feb 25th 2019, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I suspect it would be quite the edgy pub quiz that featured that as a question!
Oh yes, I'm sure you're right! Although... the word is used more than you might think, down here - as a term of social disparagement, but with no conscious racial function. Never by white expats, under any circumstances, but the natives of all colours are surprisingly tolerant of its use. When we were newcomers here forty years ago we were invited to the home of a coloured Caymanian family for a meal. There weren't enough chairs for everybody, and being new I hesitated to take one of them. One of the other guests - a native Caymanian, but white - waved me into the last chair, saying cheerfully, "the floor's good enough for us n.......s" and sat there. Nobody reacted in any way. It shocked me rigid at the time, though I've gotten used to it since. Well, more or less!
Old Feb 25th 2019, 1:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Regrettably, in the USA - and in Britain, too, these days - a person is often described as "black" when he or she has the barest trace of African blood. I think it was the slave-owners in the British American colonies who first did that, and it's a shame that Western descendants of Africans choose to continue the fiction. So a light-brown person with African blood is called "black" ….! …..
It has long seemed bizarre to me that it is the one thing that white racists and ethnic minorities agree 100% on - even the smallest discernible percentage of non-white ancestry makes you black.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It has long seemed bizarre to me that it is the one thing that white racists and ethnic minorities agree 100% on - even the smallest discernible percentage of non-white ancestry makes you black.
I don’t think my 1% is going to count for much if I try and pull an Elizabeth Warren. I’m the whitest man alive.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 4:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t think my 1% is going to count for much if I try and pull an Elizabeth Warren. I’m the whitest man alive.
So you're just playing the white man.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So you're just playing the white man.
Yep, passing for white!
Old Feb 25th 2019, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do not rule it out, not something I have done but people I know who have had some surprising results.

With Reparations on the horizon could be a worthwhile investment.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
Do not rule it out, not something I have done but people I know who have had some surprising results.

The idea that I am eligible for reparations because my great-great-great-great grandmother was a slave in Maryland 200 years ago just shows what a ludicrous concept it is.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The idea that I am eligible for reparations because my great-great-great-great grandmother was a slave in Maryland 200 years ago just shows what a ludicrous concept it is.
Not just Slaves, you might be able to claim under multiple categories.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 6:28 pm

Not just Slaves, you might be able to claim under multiple categories.
Such as?
Old Feb 25th 2019, 6:29 pm

It's been on the horizon for decades, but no matter how long you keep on walking, you never reach the horizon. Discussion of reparations for slavery more than 150 years, and at least 3-4 generations, later is just political rhetoric and quite frankly nothing more than mooting of a blatant electoral bribe!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.