Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Never thought I'd live to see this day..

Never thought I'd live to see this day..

Old Feb 22nd 2019, 9:40 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Never thought I'd live to see this day..

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-heterosexual/
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 9:20 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Never thought I'd live to see this day..

I can't believe there are 4 Constabularies that don't have a single black officer!
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 9:31 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I can't believe there are 4 Constabularies that don't have a single black officer!

Depends which constabulary and what you define as 'black'.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Not this old chestnut again but with a twist. Back in the day when I joined the boys in blue admittedly there were very few visible minorities in all of the forces. As the cries for affirmative action became louder then force attempted to hire visible minorities and in particular black officers after the riots in Toxteth, Moss Side and Brixton areas.I distinctly remember a high ranking officer from one of the forces in the Midlands being asked would that force be hiring and why had they so few. His answer was Yes I would hire them providing they meet the current hiring standards and as to why his force had so few he stated well if they are not applying then how can he hire them. He was never promoted further after that.
I have seen and worked with visible minorities hired and once they had graduated they were put to work in areas where residents of their ethnicity lived. Some were not very well received by these residents. Some cultures have a complete lack of trust with the Police to begin with so hiring people from these cultures becomes somewhat difficult.
Introducing quotas didn't work either as the targets set were not met.
Is it harder for a visible minority to be hired by some forces compared to others I would say yes for a variety of reasons which would include a racial bias towards certain groups.

I also tend to think in todays world some would not apply due to the pay they receive and the shit they have to put up with is much different to my time.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

When the aliens turn up humanity has no chance. Too immersed in PC 'issues'.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 2:46 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Look on the bright side, if you hadn't lived to see the day you'd be dead.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not surprised at all.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Depends which constabulary and what you define as 'black'.
Regrettably, in the USA - and in Britain, too, these days - a person is often described as "black" when he or she has the barest trace of African blood. I think it was the slave-owners in the British American colonies who first did that, and it's a shame that Western descendants of Africans choose to continue the fiction. So a light-brown person with African blood is called "black", whereas a black person from southern India is "not black"! Here in the Caribbean, we tend to speak of "American Blacks", while describing non-white persons of other nations as whatever their actual colours are. When I first came to Cayman I was uncertain of where "black" began or ended, so I asked a young employee in my office what colour she would call herself. "Dark chocolate", she told me with a smile - and that was spot on!
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

Now it would be how you self identify.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Now it would be how you self identify.
True. Now there's a Dutch man who wants to change his age.
Old Feb 24th 2019, 1:59 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

This reminds me of the current Asian-American lawsuit against Harvard. Harvard has spent millions and delayed for years in dealing with this lawsuit because they're well aware of the Pandora's box that will open if they are forced to truly reveal their admissions policies. For similar reasons, universities are often very cagey about the academic results of students who have benefited from Affirmative Action or similar pro-racial diversity admissions policies:
https://www.theatlantic.com/national...action/263122/

Of course, some argue (usually from those firmly in the pro-Affirmative Action camp) that minority students thrive under Affirmative Action. I have to admit that I find these arguments wishy-washy and cherry-picked if you take a look at the data. It makes sense that a less qualified student would do worse once accepted.
Old Feb 24th 2019, 2:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
This reminds me of the current Asian-American lawsuit against Harvard. Harvard has spent millions and delayed for years in dealing with this lawsuit because they're well aware of the Pandora's box that will open if they are forced to truly reveal their admissions policies. For similar reasons, universities are often very cagey about the academic results of students who have benefited from Affirmative Action or similar pro-racial diversity admissions policies:
https://www.theatlantic.com/national...action/263122/

Of course, some argue (usually from those firmly in the pro-Affirmative Action camp) that minority students thrive under Affirmative Action. I have to admit that I find these arguments wishy-washy and cherry-picked if you take a look at the data. It makes sense that a less qualified student would do worse once accepted.
Only if they are held to the same standards. You only had to look at the collapse in reputation of the South African higher education system to see what happens if this is taken to its logical conclusions.
Old Feb 24th 2019, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

The racism of low expectations.
Old Feb 24th 2019, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Regrettably, in the USA - and in Britain, too, these days - a person is often described as "black" when he or she has the barest trace of African blood. I think it was the slave-owners in the British American colonies who first did that, and it's a shame that Western descendants of Africans choose to continue the fiction. So a light-brown person with African blood is called "black", whereas a black person from southern India is "not black"! Here in the Caribbean, we tend to speak of "American Blacks", while describing non-white persons of other nations as whatever their actual colours are. When I first came to Cayman I was uncertain of where "black" began or ended, so I asked a young employee in my office what colour she would call herself. "Dark chocolate", she told me with a smile - and that was spot on!
That's because black has always been accepted as a synonym for a person of full or partial Sub Saharan Ancestry. So while many South Asians are black in the skin tone sense, they aren't black in the racial African sense. Same logic is why light skinned East Asians were never considered "White" despite having a fair skin tone. Black, white, red, brown, yellow weren't ever just descriptive of skin tone, they always carried association with racial classifications and origins.

Last edited by Boomhauer; Feb 24th 2019 at 10:51 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2019, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
That's because black has always been accepted as synonym for a person of full or partial Sub Saharan Ancestry. So while many South Asians are black in skin tone sense, they aren't black in the racial African sense. Same reason why light skinned East Asians were never considered "White" despite having a fair skin tone. Black, white, red, brown weren't ever just descriptive of skin tone, they always carried association with racial classifications and origins.
Well, not everywhere, of course. For me, growing up in Australia in the 1940s & '50s, a black person ("blackfella") was a full-blood Australian aborigine. And I seem to recall reading somewhere that the original use, in British English at least, of what we must call "the N-word", was for Indian-Indians in and from India. (Is that correct?) The US and UK usage would have derived from the African slave-trade. I myself have never considered "black" as having any racial connotation, except in the US and UK. Not even in the West Indies, as I indicated before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.