Netflix

Old Feb 5th 2011, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Netflix

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I guess I'm not up on modern technology - I assumed streaming was the same as instant play. I have an old fashioned tube television so not sure streaming would work on that. I suppose I could go out and buy a new flat screen, but my philosophy is - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

What she didn't tell you is her vision is so bad she can only see clearly on a big screen TV

Love you really JG
Old Feb 5th 2011, 4:45 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Netfliks

I said "Netflix has almost cured my of my piratical tendencies. I might dump my newsgroup provider soon, as they both cost about the same a month." to which you replied.....

Originally Posted by N1cky
I hate it when people rip things off they should be paying for, movies, music, games. Just cough up.

Cough up for what? I am paying about twice what users just of Netflix pay, as I pay for Netflix and a newsgroup provider.

The extra I pay is my convenience charge, as Netflix improves, I am less inclined to pay that convenience charge. But for foreign language films, for example, I am willing to pay the extra, so I can get subtitles I can re-size and position, so that I can read them.

Last edited by kimilseung; Feb 5th 2011 at 4:47 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 4:56 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I said "Netflix has almost cured my of my piratical tendencies. I might dump my newsgroup provider soon, as they both cost about the same a month." to which you replied.....

Cough up for what? I am paying about twice what users just of Netflix pay, as I pay for Netflix and a newsgroup provider.

The extra I pay is my convenience charge, as Netflix improves, I am less inclined to pay that convenience charge. But for foreign language films, for example, I am willing to pay the extra, so I can get subtitles I can re-size and position, so that I can read them.
Perhaps they're talking about coughing up for the percentage of content you are still viewing for free. To be fair, you did say that you were "almost cured".
Old Feb 5th 2011, 4:56 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I'm not up on modern technology - I assumed streaming was the same as instant play. I have an old fashioned tube television so not sure streaming would work on that. I suppose I could go out and buy a new flat screen, but my philosophy is - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I dont know what instant play is.

Most TVs will hook up for streaming
RCA cables will do the trick with a Wii or a WD media player.
See if your TV has the yellow, red and white connectors; even if it does not, there are adaptors, you plug the aerial and the RCA cables in to the adaptor, then just the aerial cable in to the TV, and press a toggle button on the adapter.
No need for flat screen - I have an old fashioned 3:4 TV too, streaming works just fine.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 4:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you DG. I don't have wifi, or wii or any systems hooked up to my hdtv other than a multiple holder dvd player. I wouldn't know what to buy or if I would even want the expense and trouble owning a blu-ray, wifi, laptop, notebook, iphone, fancy texting phone, don't have internet connection on my simple cell phone and that is fine with me.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 5:03 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by crg
Perhaps they're talking about coughing up for the percentage of content you are still viewing for free. To be fair, you did say that you were "almost cured".
But it is not for free (for me), and never has been; As I stated newsgroup provider and Netflix costs about the same per month.
I think this is a big misunderstanding of what fueled and fuels most piracy.
Most people pirate for convenience, not to save money, Netflix is one of the first services to rival the convenience of piracy and as such is likley to reduce piracy. I pay for both, for the convenience each offers.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 5:04 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know what instant play is.

Most TVs will hook up for streaming
RCA cables will do the trick with a Wii or a WD media player.
See if your TV has the yellow, red and white connectors; even if it does not, there are adaptors, you plug the aerial and the RCA cables in to the adaptor, then just the aerial cable in to the TV, and press a toggle button on the adapter.
No need for flat screen - I have an old fashioned 3:4 TV too, streaming works just fine.
If the TV only has a coax cable input, they can get an RF Modulator from Radio Shack for $30.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103095

They plug the RCA cables into it. I bought a DVD player in 1998 for $450 bucks. In order to connect the RCA cables to the TV, I tried running it through a VCR so I could connect it via coax. The macrovision protection kicked in which makes the picture go dim to bright every minute or so. I thought the player was bad and returned it. Then someone told me about macrovision and RF Modulators. I had to go back and buy the DVD player all over again. The kicker is that when I bought the player back it didn't come with the 2 free movies they had been offering. :-/.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 5:08 pm
crg
American Expat

But it is not for free (for me), and never has been; As I stated newsgroup provider and Netflix costs about the same per month.
I think this is a big misunderstanding of what fueled and fuels most piracy.
Most people pirate for convenience, not to save money, Netflix is one of the first services to rival the convenience of piracy and as such is likley to reduce piracy.
But you're paying the newsgroup provider for bandwidth/storage/interface and not the content itself. The newsgroup provider doesn't own the rights to the content either.

You may be paying something, but it isn't all to the right people, and it isn't the amount that you'd have to pay to the owners of the content especially since some of the content isn't even for sale in that form.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I think all newly introduced Blue-Ray players now have the streaming capability built into it but you need to connect it to a router. It can be connected via hardwire (standard) or via WI-FI (optional) to the router.

Last year I purchased a Sony Blue-Ray player with the hardwire capability only for $120 but could have purchased their WI-FI capability player for about $40 more. I suspect the price is cheaper now. My Blue-Ray player currently supports about 40 different video streaming web sites and the software is regularly upgraded to support more sites.

Many new flat panel TVs now have the streaming capability built into it.

Netflix allows up to 5 streaming devices (Blue-Ray players, computers, TVs with streaming devices, ROKU devices, Wii, XBox360, PS3, etc.) to access their library with one subscription so if you have any of those streaming devices in your home, you should be able to watch Netflix from any room if you have enough streaming devices.

If you have the $8 or $9.99 per month plan, you will only be able to watch only one streaming movie at a time but if you have the 2 or 3 disc plan, you will be able to watch 2 or 3 streaming movies at a time.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 5th 2011 at 5:41 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 5:33 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by crg
But you're paying the newsgroup provider for bandwidth/storage/interface and not the content itself. The newsgroup provider doesn't own the rights to the content either.
Thats why its called piracy

Originally Posted by crg
You may be paying something, but it isn't all to the right people, and it isn't the amount that you'd have to pay to the owners of the content especially since some of the content isn't even for sale in that form.
And this system of limiting avaliabilty results in some material not being avaliable ever, in your market, if you follow the expectations of the distributors. Many movies will never be avaliable on Netflix, TV, local cinema or DVD if you honor their encoding system. It pis*es my off no end, that I have to import DVDs to be able to see them, and pay or them, and faff around to bypass the region encoding, I mean region encoding on something that will not be released in that region anyway.

I have a thing for Korean cinema, and much of it does not get a release of any kind in region 1 or 2 (except with Japanese only subtitles); some films like, "Quiet Family" might get a release 5 or 6 years later, or something like "Bungee Jumping Of There Own" will never get a release in an English language region. I have stack of imported DVDs, I really got annoyed with the whole region issue on our shared birthday, before we were married, we met up in New York, half way between us, to celebrate our birthdays, I get the Spaced DVDs, took them with me, but they would not play in the DVD player at the amaprtment we had rented; so we went out and bought DVDs off the street to play. I probalby spend more of my income on media than most, and I am happy to play along if they play fair, but I do not feel that they do. At a time of globalization it is a nonsense how the market for media is organized.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 6:23 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Thats why its called piracy

And this system of limiting avaliabilty results in some material not being avaliable ever, in your market, if you follow the expectations of the distributors. Many movies will never be avaliable on Netflix, TV, local cinema or DVD if you honor their encoding system. It pis*es my off no end, that I have to import DVDs to be able to see them, and pay or them, and faff around to bypass the region encoding, I mean region encoding on something that will not be released in that region anyway.

I have a thing for Korean cinema, and much of it does not get a release of any kind in region 1 or 2 (except with Japanese only subtitles); some films like, "Quiet Family" might get a release 5 or 6 years later, or something like "Bungee Jumping Of There Own" will never get a release in an English language region. I have stack of imported DVDs, I really got annoyed with the whole region issue on our shared birthday, before we were married, we met up in New York, half way between us, to celebrate our birthdays, I get the Spaced DVDs, took them with me, but they would not play in the DVD player at the amaprtment we had rented; so we went out and bought DVDs off the street to play. I probalby spend more of my income on media than most, and I am happy to play along if they play fair, but I do not feel that they do. At a time of globalization it is a nonsense how the market for media is organized.
+1

Also, along with Asian films, almost impossible to get most Middle Eastern and North African films.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 9:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael

Last year I purchased a Sony Blue-Ray player with the hardwire capability only for $120 but could have purchased their WI-FI capability player for about $40 more. I suspect the price is cheaper now. My Blue-Ray player currently supports about 40 different video streaming web sites and the software is regularly upgraded to support more sites.
You can get players for about $70 these days, some even with wifi built in, but these cheaper players, which work fine, tend to be a lot slower booting up and getting to the movie menu and unlike Sony are probably quite slow to have firmware updates to add new features.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I only have the one disc at a time option too. I have (occasionally) not received my # 1 choice and they have sent me the # 2 on my list. However, on more than one occasion, my #1 choice became available a day or two after they shipped my # 2 disc and they sent it anyway and sent me an email saying it was a "freebie", which was very nice of them. IMO, they have very good service.
Same thing has happened to me several times, and I totally agree, Netflix customer service is outstanding.

Rene
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:21 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Same thing has happened to me several times, and I totally agree, Netflix customer service is outstanding.
It is good customer service. Another example is on a one disc plan, if your first choice has to be sent from a supply center other than your local one (hence a slight delay in the mail) they will send out a second disc (probably your second choice) from the local center, so that you get a disc, the next day.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You can get players for about $70 these days, some even with wifi built in, but these cheaper players, which work fine, tend to be a lot slower booting up and getting to the movie menu and unlike Sony are probably quite slow to have firmware updates to add new features.
Most players still come without wifi. Many of them advertise wifi ready but that doesn't mean that wifi is built in but you will need to purchase a wifi adapter.

When I bought my player, the cheapest Roku streamer (SD with wifi) was $79 but now the cheapest Roku streamer (720p with wifi) is now $59.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.