Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

My Wife is ready to try something I've wanted for a long time.

My Wife is ready to try something I've wanted for a long time.

Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:11 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Wife is ready to try something I've wanted for a long time.

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Scary, isn't it? But almost worth considering......
Oh hell no. I just got addicted to House. Nobody is touching my shit.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:14 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
That's a shame because that's almost a reason to keep it on.

All that Ken Burns stuff? Netflix. I used to like Antiques Roadshow, but now that it's gone I don't really miss it. My kids are too old now for the Sesame Street stuff and the Teletubbies freaked me out anyway.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:15 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Fight it!
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
To be more specific and in no particular order...

I don't like the ads. (Shamwow? That guy with the mullet selling gym equipment? That screaming guy that sells cleaners?) If you really listen to the verbage on some of these ads it makes no sense at all. Try really listening to it as though you were reading it on a printed page. They operate on the assumption that you are an easily manipulated idiot and that insults me.

The "News". Local news is a joke. The first 15 minutes is a recitation of the day's tragic deaths/murders/horrible/sensational crimes (and that's just the political events) followed by the weather that may or may not be accurate. National news is the same on a larger scale with a little more political bias added for flavor.

Entertainment. There are a few decent shows, they're not all horrible. Kid's programming is probably the worst, followed by the "reality" crap. What's that most recent one where the guy's mothers are trying to hook them up with various sluts? It seems like the rest are all cop shows or hospital shows dealing with yet more murder, rape etc... in graphic detail.

PBS. I used to like it. We don't get it where we live.

Alternatives. For weather and news I have the internet. Yep, there's still bias but I have a much wider range of choices and I am in control of what I want to see. I can dig around and look at all three sides of a story and then get different perspectives on it. I don't have to sit through 20 minutes of crap and commercials to get to the one story I was interested in. For emergency weather I have a weather radio. I also have a satellite radio that has a weather and traffic channel for my area 24/7. For entertainment we have books (My 10yo son reads at a 10th grade level and my 8yo daughter reads at a 7th grade level, both I believe are due to the very limited amount of TV they watch leaving plenty of time for reading) board games (my daughter likes Monopoly and my son just got Axis and Allies for Christmas) or just playing outside. We play all kinds of music on the sat. radio. I also use it to listen to BBC world service on the way to work in the morning and music on the way home. I bought a Wii for Christmas which surprised the hell out of my wife because I was anti video game as much as I was anti TV. I figured that at least with the Wii they have to move and use some hand/eye coordination. For movies we have Netflix where we can get all kinds of cool documentaries as well as more mainstream type movies and TV shows. That's in addition to the pretty good collection of DVDs/VHS here at the house.

To sum it up I'd say that everything good about TV is available elsewhere without having to take the bad along with it, and all in all, there are better things to do than park your arse in front of the box. When my kids are visiting my parents who have digital cable they are like zombies in front of the box, you have to snap your fingers in front of them to get their attention away from it.
I see. A lot of what you say makes sense I guess it depends how you approach the issues and select what TV you like.
Personally I select what I want to watch. As I said about 50% of my TV is British TV downloaded from the internet and networked to play through my X-Box.
We have PBS, The Sundance Channel and HBO which offers a lot of documentaries and movies if I can't find anything to download from UKNova.
Local news is a joke so I DVR the BBC news which is broadcast twice a day on PBS, not an option for you I know.
If I do watch Network TV it's a few shows that I generally DVR and watch after the kids are in bed without ads.
I like some of the reality shows such as Survivor and The Amazing Race, both offer entertainment and education on human nature and world travel ( I say that lightly but with a degree of truth).
Having said all this I would hardly describe myself as being anywhere near anti-TV I use it selectively as a form of entertainment and education.
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

In preparation for this I purchased the first season of "Little House on the Prarie" last night. If the kids whine about missing TV I'll put that on. Everybody likes LHotP.

Nellie.:curse:
You need to watch Norman Wisdom films
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:25 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Fight it!
I don't want to.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:26 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Ray
You need to watch Norman Wisdom films
Googling...
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:26 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to.
I had never watched it and then watched a 6 hour marathon of it.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:27 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.fox.com/fod/play.php?sh=house
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Love it! The cranky, drug addict, self-centered bastard of a doctor cracks me up. Am actually getting the dvd's from Netflix in case there are episodes we've missed.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:32 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

I must say I don't watch any of the mainstream network TV shows I see people posting about here.
Never seen House, Desperate Housewives, 24, CSI ( in whatever city), Heroes, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Murphy Brown or any of those comedies they are endlessly advertising such as 2 1/2 men, Will & Grace, The King of Queens etc. etc. etc.

Thumbs up for 60 Minutes & Jeopardy
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:35 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
I must say I don't watch any of the mainstream network TV shows I see people posting about here.
Never seen House, Desperate Housewives, 24, CSI ( in whatever city), Heroes, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Murphy Brown or any of those comedies they are endlessly advertising such as 2 1/2 men, Will & Grace, The King of Queens etc. etc. etc.

Thumbs up for 60 Minutes & Jeopardy
The only one of those I've ever watched more than 2 minutes of is House.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by neil
The only one of those I've ever watched more than 2 minutes of is House.
What was the name of that show with the skinny bird that was a lawyer? Never watched that but everyone went on about it
Everybody likes Raymond and Friends are 2 other shows I never ever watched
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:39 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Me too!!!! Actually it started a couple of weeks ago (when my evil sister came for my pie sister's graduation) when they were having a House marathon on one of the cable channels. Since she likes House and since she commandeers the remote wherever she goes - we watched House. I carried on by watching the Christmas marathons and in less than a month I've watched about 3,000 episodes of House.

I really need to get back to classes.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:39 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
What was the name of that show with the skinny bird that was a lawyer? Never watched that but everyone went on about it
Everybody likes Raymond and Friends are 2 other shows I never ever watched
Ali McBeal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.