Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

My Wife is ready to try something I've wanted for a long time.

My Wife is ready to try something I've wanted for a long time.

Old Nov 7th 2009, 1:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Wife is ready to try something I've wanted for a long time.

Originally Posted by Englishtart
we still have a long wire leading from the back of the comp to the tv in the den, so my son can watch netflix instant movies in there! I'm sure there is a more tech' way of doing it, but no idea
if you've got a console, that would be the easiest way....360 streams netflix and ps3 and wii will get it soon, ps3 by december....
Old Nov 7th 2009, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
if you've got a console, that would be the easiest way....360 streams netflix and ps3 and wii will get it soon, ps3 by december....
he uses the 360 to stream them through, sorry i meant the wire goes from the comp to the 360, it's so he can get online thru the 360..
Old Nov 7th 2009, 4:11 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Windows Media Centre has built in Netflix streaming which is what we always use. We have a Vista machine (may eventually upgrade to 7 though) and the media centre is the best thing about it. It gets the tv line up and runs just like a regular DVR to record stuff off the antenna. Very simple.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 4:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
he uses the 360 to stream them through, sorry i meant the wire goes from the comp to the 360, it's so he can get online thru the 360..
get a wireless adaptor for it so it can hook online without the wire...
Old Nov 7th 2009, 4:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by neil
Windows Media Centre has built in Netflix streaming which is what we always use. We have a Vista machine (may eventually upgrade to 7 though) and the media centre is the best thing about it. It gets the tv line up and runs just like a regular DVR to record stuff off the antenna. Very simple.
aye, it's a good way of doing it, but most people who already have a console have a streaming media kit plugged into the tele and online already
Old Nov 8th 2009, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Okay -- once you mention buying software I know there's a problem!

For a decent hardware set up, use one of the new dual Atom boards with the integrated Nvidia graphics and the integrated HDMI. Use a flash drive for the OS and then you have no moving parts and less noise. For the NAS a single Atom board with the IBM graphics unit should be fine. Fit four big drives so you can run Raid 5.

For the software on the HTPC, I've actually moved off of MythTv and now use Boxee over Ubuntu. The NAS is loaded with FreeNAS (based on BSD).

The best remote control ever was.....and I hate to say it........the MS media center one! All the software I use is compatible with it.....so I assume MS stuff is, too!

Or if you're a wuss with loadsa money, buy a Popcorn Hour and a Buffalo NAS.
Good ideas. The Atom processors were not feasible when I built mine; so I went with an asus motherboard with integrated NVidia that took the AMD processors, which a) consumed low power and b) were easily and reliably under-clockable. Fanless is the way to go, obviously, so flash memory sounds good (again, not financially feasible when I built mine). I have the MS remote; it also comes with a good remote 'sender' that I used to control my cable box ... which is a whole other can of worms but lets not go there ...
Old Nov 10th 2009, 4:48 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was another baby

You are turning more and more into Grizzly Adams !