Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Was in my first tornado last night.

Was in my first tornado last night.

Old Apr 24th 2011, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was in my first tornado last night.

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I always thought that to be the safest place, well if you weren't in a shelter. I wonder why.... I mean I've seen a program where they were under an overpass (they got out of their vehicle and were up as far as they could go under the overpass. It seemed much safer than being out in open.
I'd guess if the tornado hit the bridge or very nearby, flying debris from the collapsing bridge would be a problem as would the compressed air under the bridge causing a faster airflow. A sort of "venturi effect" taking place. Think of air pushed ahead of an arriving train in the metro.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
I'd guess if the tornado hit the bridge or very nearby, flying debris from the collapsing bridge would be a problem as would the compressed air under the bridge causing a faster airflow. A sort of "venturi effect" taking place. Think of air pushed ahead of an arriving train in the metro.
Reminds me of the advice for earthquakes - the original 'wisdom' was to get under a desk, etc ... but a more refined piece of advice is to lie NEXT TO an object like a desk - so that when a heavy object (like your roof!) falls down, it will crush the desk, and the crushed desk will act as 'filler' to stop the roof from crushing you ... a sort-of cavity will be created adjacent to the crushed desk. Similar advice for beds - don't get under the bed, lie immediately adjacent to it.

Here's a better explanation:
http://grassrootscontemplations.word...-usual-advice/

Excerpt: "The first building I ever crawled inside of was a school in Mexico City during the 1985 earthquake. Every child was under its desk. Every child was crushed to the thickness of their bones. They could have survived by lying down next to their desks in the aisles. It was obscene — unnecessary.

Simply stated, when buildings collapse, the weight of the ceilings falling upon the objects or furniture inside crushes these objects, leaving a space or void next to them – NOT under them. This space is what I call the ‘triangle of life’."
Old Apr 24th 2011, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

ABY, I'm so glad that you all came through this OK, and trust that there are no lasting traumatizing effects for any of you. I have been through 4 tornados, and they always sounded like a freight train coming through, with fatalities occuring in 2 of them. Having been involved in rescue afterwards, and seeing the devastation in St. Louis, I am simply amazed that nobody seems to have been killed there.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:59 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Steer pike , I'm pretty certain that advice has been discredited. I'll see if I can find the link

Here you are http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/triangle.asp

Last edited by Zoe Bell; Apr 25th 2011 at 1:01 am. Reason: Link added
Old Apr 25th 2011, 4:03 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

You lived in the St Louis area how long and never got close to one???

I've lost count of how many times my mother in law has been in her basement this year due to tornadoes in the area, they're just over the IL border in Edwardsville.

Last edited by MrEmjoy; Apr 25th 2011 at 4:06 pm. Reason: Added a D
Old Apr 25th 2011, 4:07 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
No shit. We spent Tuesday night in a hotel because of the incoming storms. The fact that our entire mo-bile estate shakes when the washing machine agitates doesn't really encourage a restful night when the sirens are going off. I dunno what we're going to do about that though, can't afford to drop $70 bucks every time a storm comes in.
Can you dig a shelter?
Old Apr 25th 2011, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Odd how things work out. Driving from Kentucky to Kansas City and collide with a tornado in St. Louis. Timing, fate, luck... I don't know.

The family and I were driving west on I-70, we were along side the St. Louis international airport. It was raining hard, then all of a sudden the streetlights all went out, transformers were blowing up, the wind increased to a level I have not experienced. My wife was driving, and we happened to be coming up to an overpass. We pulled under it and all hell broke loose. The truck started shaking, the wind noise increased to a roar, we couldn't see anything out of the windows, it looked like being in a carwash x1000. I had the kids get on the floor and put their pillows over their heads, my wife was driving so I had her lay on the seat and I layed over the top of her. Debri was hitting the truck, the impacts sounded like we were being hit by large rocks fired from a cannon. All this happened in the space of 30 seconds. And then it was over.

My truck... the windshield is cracked all over, there are numerous dents, the passenger side is ripped open like a sardine can, headlight busted out, a piece of metal of some kind ripped my front tire... but that can all be fixed. I'm just glad we we're OK.

We were stuck on I-70 from 8pm until 1am when the power lines that were down in front of and behind us were cleared and enough debri cleaned off the road that traffic could resume.

All in all, as far as life experiences go, one tornado is enough for me.

I'll post pics of the truck when I can.
Wow... very glad to hear you're all ok.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 6:46 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Holy quick-thinking, ABY-man! Glad to hear you made it through that. If it happened to me, I'd lose about 50 pounds, all of it brown.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

And Speaking Of The Weather;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43F7qJTmRFs

Jim.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
And Speaking Of The Weather;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43F7qJTmRFs

Jim.
Why not have the real thing?

Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

gatsbygirl8 will become famous soon enough

Glad you and your family are all ok. We're just across the way near Alton, IL and heard the sirens blaring all over town on Friday night. We lucked out where we are, but the photos of the airport and nearby Granite City are awful.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:15 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

A few pics...

Me about to change the tire. That strip of metal put a slice in it. Sidewall, of course.

Looking East on I-70 from under the FeeFee overpass. You can see the power lines down just in front of that truck.

Same thing. This is where we sat for 6hrs until the wires were removed (There were more down in front of us) and enough debris was cleaned up that they could resume traffic.

Top front corner of the driver's door.

Bedside got whacked. Apparently by something blue.

I don't how hard something has to hit to shear sheetmetal like that. It also broke my headlamp.

The rear driver's side door. The piece that's curled inwards is the front edge, I tried to "uncurl" it and couldn't even get it to move putting my (substantial) weight behind it. My 10yo daughter was on the other side of that door.

Last edited by another bloody yank; Apr 26th 2011 at 12:59 am.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:18 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Can you dig a shelter?
Trying to save $$ to move out of here and into a real house. I could spend some savings on a shelter, but it would take longer to save enough to move that way. It'd cost quite a bit. I really don't know.

Last edited by another bloody yank; Apr 25th 2011 at 11:21 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:24 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

Trying to save $$ to move out of here and into a real house. I could spend some savings on a shelter, but it would take longer to save enough to move that way. It'd cost quite a bit.
All the best with moving!

You were really lucky to come out of that as well as you did! Sheet metal isn't the easiest of things to rip like that. Tornadoes can do some scary things with seemingly harmless objects!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Trying to save $$ to move out of here and into a real house. I could spend some savings on a shelter, but it would take longer to save enough to move that way. It'd cost quite a bit. I really don't know.
Gosh stay safe and good luck with moving....keep us updated please....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.