Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Was in my first tornado last night.

Was in my first tornado last night.

Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:08 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Was in my first tornado last night.

Odd how things work out. Driving from Kentucky to Kansas City and collide with a tornado in St. Louis. Timing, fate, luck... I don't know.

The family and I were driving west on I-70, we were along side the St. Louis international airport. It was raining hard, then all of a sudden the streetlights all went out, transformers were blowing up, the wind increased to a level I have not experienced. My wife was driving, and we happened to be coming up to an overpass. We pulled under it and all hell broke loose. The truck started shaking, the wind noise increased to a roar, we couldn't see anything out of the windows, it looked like being in a carwash x1000. I had the kids get on the floor and put their pillows over their heads, my wife was driving so I had her lay on the seat and I layed over the top of her. Debri was hitting the truck, the impacts sounded like we were being hit by large rocks fired from a cannon. All this happened in the space of 30 seconds. And then it was over.

My truck... the windshield is cracked all over, there are numerous dents, the passenger side is ripped open like a sardine can, headlight busted out, a piece of metal of some kind ripped my front tire... but that can all be fixed. I'm just glad we we're OK.

We were stuck on I-70 from 8pm until 1am when the power lines that were down in front of and behind us were cleared and enough debri cleaned off the road that traffic could resume.

All in all, as far as life experiences go, one tornado is enough for me.

I'll post pics of the truck when I can.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was in my first tornado last night.

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Odd how things work out. Driving from Kentucky to Kansas City and collide with a tornado in St. Louis. Timing, fate, luck... I don't know.

The family and I were driving west on I-70, we were along side the St. Louis international airport. It was raining hard, then all of a sudden the streetlights all went out, transformers were blowing up, the wind increased to a level I have not experienced. My wife was driving, and we happened to be coming up to an overpass. We pulled under it and all hell broke loose. The truck started shaking, the wind noise increased to a roar, we couldn't see anything out of the windows, it looked like being in a carwash x1000. I had the kids get on the floor and put their pillows over their heads, my wife was driving so I had her lay on the seat and I layed over the top of her. Debri was hitting the truck, the impacts sounded like we were being hit by large rocks fired from a cannon. All this happened in the space of 30 seconds. And then it was over.

My truck... the windshield is cracked all over, there are numerous dents, the passenger side is ripped open like a sardine can, headlight busted out, a piece of metal of some kind ripped my front tire... but that can all be fixed. I'm just glad we we're OK.

We were stuck on I-70 from 8pm until 1am when the power lines that were down in front of and behind us were cleared and enough debri cleaned off the road that traffic could resume.

Glad you are all ok!!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Thank goodness you are all okay. Tornados are pretty frightening. Dodged 2 of them by narrow margins.

In Louisville, experiencing Heavy Rain right now.

Jim.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:27 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Glad it was just property damage. I've been in storms like that ... they come up so fast and just batter the hell out of everything. Power lines down, roofs torn off, windows broken, crazy debris scattered everywhere. Then you don't hear until later it was a tornado or tornado force straight winds. Luckily I've always been inside though. I would not want to be on the road.

I'll bet you guys were shitting your pants.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

And you live in a mobile home, don't you - I think there must be a connection!

Glad you are ok ... can't wait to see the pics!
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I'll bet you guys were shitting your pants.
Having seen the pictures of the near total destruction of the AA Terminal, at the Airport, I think the rest of us would have been shitting ours if were there, too.

Jim,
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

Frightening! So glad you all made it through in one piece.
We had an EF3 with 140mph winds touch down 5 miles from us two weeks ago and that's plenty close enough for me.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:33 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Having seen the pictures of the near total destruction of the AA Terminal, at the Airport, I think the rest of us would have been shitting ours if were there, too.

Jim,
No doubt.

It's the sound that is so horrific. Like the gates of hell itself have been flung open.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:58 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Just seen some footage on the news, looked really bad. Glad you are all ok
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 6:11 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very glad you and the family are OK! It must have been very bad being stuck on the highway that long because of the power lines.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you're all ok, it must have been a really frightening experience for you all.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'm very glad you and the family are OK! It must have been very bad being stuck on the highway that long because of the power lines.
If they didn't shit their pants initially they might have during the long wait! Happy that all of them are safe!
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 6:33 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just glad we we're OK.
And me! How terrifying, but think what a great story you've all got now.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you and your family are all ok, ABY. A pretty frightening experience. Were you able to get the truck fixed and carry on with your journey?
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 7:08 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Not an experience anyone should have. Very glad the only damage was to the truck and you are all OK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.