Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

My British Pension story

My British Pension story

Old Nov 30th 2021, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default My British Pension story

Last November I applied for my government pension from the UK. I was going to be 66 in January 2021 so it said the application could be sent 3 months ahead. I sent off the forms plus my birth and marriage certificate. I checked to see if it had been signed for and it had....on January 15th!! So who knows where it had been for 2 months.

Fast forward to May 2021 and I receive my birth and marriage certificates back in an envelope but with no other correspondence. In June I called them and was told it was in process, no other information was needed and to check my bank account as payment would be sent very soon. Nope, nothing in June or July. Called again in August and was told I was in the " group that was being processed " so won't be long now. One more phone call in October and was told the delay was from the US social security office who had not verified my S/S and it would probably take another 4 to 8 weeks...

This morning I received notice from my credit union that I had a new deposit in my account.. And low and behold there it was and presumably back dated from January. I guess I'll figure that out when I get my snail mail information from the UK!

So i waited from November 19th 2020 to November 29th 2021 to get my pension that should have started in January 2021. God save the Queen
Old Nov 30th 2021, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My British Pension story

I feel for you... while mine did not take that long is was quite an effort.
My latest issue with them is that after receiving my pension, quite efficiently, for the past 3 years, they have now decided I am a tax resident in the UK (left in 2000) and have sent me a tax bill (this after all the necessary forms and certificates have been sent to them from the US IRS).
When I received the second tax bill I again sent all the forms and certificates stating I was a tax resident in the US (at another cost of $86.00) bucks, plus nearly $60 bucks for registered Fedex to the UK. They have yet to acknowledge this second proof of my non residence.. (I have notification of it being received though).
I've not paid the tax bills ......... we will see.....
Old Nov 30th 2021, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My British Pension story

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I feel for you... while mine did not take that long is was quite an effort.
My latest issue with them is that after receiving my pension, quite efficiently, for the past 3 years, they have now decided I am a tax resident in the UK (left in 2000) and have sent me a tax bill (this after all the necessary forms and certificates have been sent to them from the US IRS).
When I received the second tax bill I again sent all the forms and certificates stating I was a tax resident in the US (at another cost of $86.00) bucks, plus nearly $60 bucks for registered Fedex to the UK. They have yet to acknowledge this second proof of my non residence.. (I have notification of it being received though).
I've not paid the tax bills ......... we will see.....

I hope I don't have any more problems. Mind you I have to say everyone I spoke to in the UK was pleasant and polite unlike our conversations with SSA here!
Old Nov 30th 2021, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: My British Pension story

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

I hope I don't have any more problems. Mind you I have to say everyone I spoke to in the UK was pleasant and polite unlike our conversations with SSA here!

Think you will find that, now your payments have started, they will continue quite smoothly. They've never missed a month with me - keeping fingers crossed