Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Drove to Canada recently? What's the Covid requirement?

Drove to Canada recently? What's the Covid requirement?

Old Dec 6th 2021, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drove to Canada recently? What's the Covid requirement?

Planning on driving to Quebec, crossing at Detroit. Am fully vaccinated and have the booster vaccine (Pfizer)

I talked to US customs and border patrol and they said I need a PCR test , I think they said 3 days prior to entry. I would also need to fill out an app called CanArrive. US CBP said I would have no issues returning to the US.

I plan to cross over into Canada and return the same day. Any US citizen been to Canada recently?
Old Dec 6th 2021, 8:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drove to Canada recently? What's the Covid requirement?

Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
Planning on driving to Quebec, crossing at Detroit. Am fully vaccinated and have the booster vaccine (Pfizer)

I talked to US customs and border patrol and they said I need a PCR test , I think they said 3 days prior to entry. I would also need to fill out an app called CanArrive. US CBP said I would have no issues returning to the US.

I plan to cross over into Canada and return the same day. Any US citizen been to Canada recently?
I am a USC but live in Canada. Last Tuesday I went to the US for a few hours, then back to Canada. What you have posted above was true then, but it seems to change very quickly.

FWIW we were waved through the US border (we have NEXUS), no questions asked, all Canada was interested in was ArriveCan.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I am a USC but live in Canada. Last Tuesday I went to the US for a few hours, then back to Canada. What you have posted above was true then, but it seems to change very quickly.

FWIW we were waved through the US border (we have NEXUS), no questions asked, all Canada was interested in was ArriveCan.
When the US Border Patrol supervisor told me that all I needed was a negative PCR test no later than 72 hours prior to entry into Canada, I forgot to ask him if that same test was good for US entry, or if I needed another PCR test done in Canada.

Last edited by Boomhauer; Dec 6th 2021 at 11:02 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2021, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need a Covid test to enter the USA via land.
Old Dec 7th 2021, 1:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My stepdaughter went to Canada last month to visit her children. She is a US PR.and had to do the same as you have described. No issues on the return to the US from New Brunswick.
Old Dec 7th 2021, 11:27 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I am a dual UK/US citizen and drove into Canada for the day a month or so ago from Buffalo, NY. I did need a PCR test taken within 72 hours, and I did need to fill in a form on the ArriveCAN app, but it was all pretty straightforward. Coming back to the US they only checked my passport, and the car boot. I used a drive through PCR test from CVS and my US passport in both directions.