Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

MSN/internet help????

MSN/internet help????

Old Mar 12th 2008, 6:59 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default MSN/internet help????

Since I plugged into our broadband connection (AT&T) the other day I cant connect to msn, or get onto any msn related websites. The broadband connection we have is through a cable and dials up - Ive been using wireless so long i forget how this works!! I can connect to msn if I connect to a wireless netowk, but now on the connection im supposed to be using. Hubby can connect fine on his laptop so its got to be something on mine??

any ideas????
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MSN/internet help????

You're going to have to give more details.

What device connects to the actual internet "line" (cable?).

Do you have a cable modem, or a DSL modem (sorry if the answer to this is obvious to you guys stateside, but I aint there yet!).

Are you plugging your PC in via a router or directly to a cable modem with a netowrk cable?

When you say you can't get to "MSN", do you mean just MSN, or all websites? Can you get to any websites at all?

I can probably help you (I'm in IT), once I understand how you have things set up.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:41 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to his questions....

Is the cable modem provided also a wireless one?

Do you know if your network card is enabled?

Do you have a wireless card?

How did you connect before with your computer/laptop because I assume it's wireless since that's what you were using before?

Is this a brand new system?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:16 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
You're going to have to give more details.

What device connects to the actual internet "line" (cable?).

Do you have a cable modem, or a DSL modem (sorry if the answer to this is obvious to you guys stateside, but I aint there yet!).

Are you plugging your PC in via a router or directly to a cable modem with a netowrk cable?

When you say you can't get to "MSN", do you mean just MSN, or all websites? Can you get to any websites at all?

I can probably help you (I'm in IT), once I understand how you have things set up.

hmmm hope you can help - hubby works in IT but he dont have a clue lol!!!

Its connected network cable from laptop to router, then to the wall - its not a wireless service (apparantly).

I cant get on microsoft websites it seems - including windows live messenger which is the one really bothering me!!

Originally Posted by ugacrew
In addition to his questions....

Is the cable modem provided also a wireless one?

Do you know if your network card is enabled?

Do you have a wireless card?

How did you connect before with your computer/laptop because I assume it's wireless since that's what you were using before?

Is this a brand new system?
The router is use to get the wireless network if thats what you mean? I can pick up a wireless network no probs but its not mine!!

Ive used wireless and cable at home before with no probs - and wireless still works ok now.

I am SO frustrated with this - have tried everything could think of - and some stuff I didnt think of!!!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:18 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
hmmm hope you can help - hubby works in IT but he dont have a clue lol!!!

Its connected network cable from laptop to router, then to the wall - its not a wireless service (apparantly).

I cant get on microsoft websites it seems - including windows live messenger which is the one really bothering me!!

The router is use to get the wireless network if thats what you mean? I can pick up a wireless network no probs but its not mine!!

Ive used wireless and cable at home before with no probs - and wireless still works ok now.

I am SO frustrated with this - have tried everything could think of - and some stuff I didnt think of!!!
Are MSN sites the only one's you are having a problem with?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

and what's the OS? XP/Vista/Mac animal of some variety?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 7:23 pm
Resident Sillycow

yup just all microsoft sites.

and im running vista - hubby says this is the problem....

vista vs connection??
Old Mar 13th 2008, 7:25 pm
Riding on silver wings

yup just all microsoft sites.

and im running vista - hubby says this is the problem....

vista vs connection??
Do you have a filter in place that allows you to block a certain websites? Maybe you blocked the msn.com domain somehow.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:28 pm
Resident Sillycow

Do you have a filter in place that allows you to block a certain websites? Maybe you blocked the msn.com domain somehow.
nope have checked and it is allowed -this is SO frustrating!!!

and now the wireless has booted me off and wants me to pay $40 for the priveledge of using it - damn I want to check my mail!!!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:29 pm
Riding on silver wings

nope have checked and it is allowed -this is SO frustrating!!!

and now the wireless has booted me off and wants me to pay $40 for the priveledge of using it - damn I want to check my mail!!!
Have you tried to access it using other browsers? Firefox, Opera, Netscape, and all that?
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:06 am
Resident Sillycow

Have you tried to access it using other browsers? Firefox, Opera, Netscape, and all that?
just tried firefox and that dont work. Tried msn.com msn.co.uk microsoft.com and windows update - all dont work :curse:
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:09 am
Riding on silver wings

just tried firefox and that dont work. Tried msn.com msn.co.uk microsoft.com and windows update - all dont work :curse:
Can you take your laptop to a hotspot, like a coffee shop or somewhere closer, and test whether you can get to the MSN sites from there? Also for a quick moment, disable your firewall and see if you can get out. Just do it briefly.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Possible reasons:

Issues with your ISP
A virus blocking access to MS sites to stop windows updates

Either way, the above suggestion is a good one - try on a different connection, see if you can get connection.