British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   MSN/internet help???? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/msn-internet-help-521232/)

mellybrown Mar 12th 2008 6:59 pm

MSN/internet help????

Since I plugged into our broadband connection (AT&T) the other day I cant connect to msn, or get onto any msn related websites. The broadband connection we have is through a cable and dials up - Ive been using wireless so long i forget how this works!! I can connect to msn if I connect to a wireless netowk, but now on the connection im supposed to be using. Hubby can connect fine on his laptop so its got to be something on mine??

any ideas????

BritishGuy36 Mar 12th 2008 10:03 pm

Re: MSN/internet help????

You're going to have to give more details.

What device connects to the actual internet "line" (cable?).

Do you have a cable modem, or a DSL modem (sorry if the answer to this is obvious to you guys stateside, but I aint there yet!).

Are you plugging your PC in via a router or directly to a cable modem with a netowrk cable?

When you say you can't get to "MSN", do you mean just MSN, or all websites? Can you get to any websites at all?

I can probably help you (I'm in IT), once I understand how you have things set up.

ugacrew Mar 12th 2008 10:41 pm

In addition to his questions....

Is the cable modem provided also a wireless one?

Do you know if your network card is enabled?

Do you have a wireless card?

How did you connect before with your computer/laptop because I assume it's wireless since that's what you were using before?

Is this a brand new system?

mellybrown Mar 13th 2008 12:16 am

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 6054790)
You're going to have to give more details.

What device connects to the actual internet "line" (cable?).

Do you have a cable modem, or a DSL modem (sorry if the answer to this is obvious to you guys stateside, but I aint there yet!).

Are you plugging your PC in via a router or directly to a cable modem with a netowrk cable?

When you say you can't get to "MSN", do you mean just MSN, or all websites? Can you get to any websites at all?

I can probably help you (I'm in IT), once I understand how you have things set up.

hmmm hope you can help - hubby works in IT but he dont have a clue lol!!!

Its connected network cable from laptop to router, then to the wall - its not a wireless service (apparantly).

I cant get on microsoft websites it seems - including windows live messenger which is the one really bothering me!!

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 6054983)
In addition to his questions....

Is the cable modem provided also a wireless one?

Do you know if your network card is enabled?

Do you have a wireless card?

How did you connect before with your computer/laptop because I assume it's wireless since that's what you were using before?

Is this a brand new system?

The router is use to get the wireless network if thats what you mean? I can pick up a wireless network no probs but its not mine!!

Ive used wireless and cable at home before with no probs - and wireless still works ok now.

I am SO frustrated with this - have tried everything could think of - and some stuff I didnt think of!!!

ugacrew Mar 13th 2008 12:18 am

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 6055509)
hmmm hope you can help - hubby works in IT but he dont have a clue lol!!!

Its connected network cable from laptop to router, then to the wall - its not a wireless service (apparantly).

I cant get on microsoft websites it seems - including windows live messenger which is the one really bothering me!!

The router is use to get the wireless network if thats what you mean? I can pick up a wireless network no probs but its not mine!!

Ive used wireless and cable at home before with no probs - and wireless still works ok now.

I am SO frustrated with this - have tried everything could think of - and some stuff I didnt think of!!!

Are MSN sites the only one's you are having a problem with?

Bob Mar 13th 2008 12:18 am

and what's the OS? XP/Vista/Mac animal of some variety?

mellybrown Mar 13th 2008 7:23 pm

yup just all microsoft sites.

and im running vista - hubby says this is the problem....

vista vs connection??

ugacrew Mar 13th 2008 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 6059050)
yup just all microsoft sites.

and im running vista - hubby says this is the problem....

vista vs connection??

Do you have a filter in place that allows you to block a certain websites? Maybe you blocked the msn.com domain somehow.

mellybrown Mar 13th 2008 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 6059065)
Do you have a filter in place that allows you to block a certain websites? Maybe you blocked the msn.com domain somehow.

nope have checked and it is allowed -this is SO frustrating!!!

and now the wireless has booted me off and wants me to pay $40 for the priveledge of using it - damn I want to check my mail!!!

ugacrew Mar 13th 2008 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 6059375)
nope have checked and it is allowed -this is SO frustrating!!!

and now the wireless has booted me off and wants me to pay $40 for the priveledge of using it - damn I want to check my mail!!!

Have you tried to access it using other browsers? Firefox, Opera, Netscape, and all that?

mellybrown Mar 14th 2008 12:06 am

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 6059385)
Have you tried to access it using other browsers? Firefox, Opera, Netscape, and all that?

just tried firefox and that dont work. Tried msn.com msn.co.uk microsoft.com and windows update - all dont work :curse:

ugacrew Mar 14th 2008 12:09 am

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 6060317)
just tried firefox and that dont work. Tried msn.com msn.co.uk microsoft.com and windows update - all dont work :curse:

Can you take your laptop to a hotspot, like a coffee shop or somewhere closer, and test whether you can get to the MSN sites from there? Also for a quick moment, disable your firewall and see if you can get out. Just do it briefly.

BritishGuy36 Mar 14th 2008 9:07 am

Possible reasons:

Issues with your ISP
A virus blocking access to MS sites to stop windows updates

Either way, the above suggestion is a good one - try on a different connection, see if you can get connection.