Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Is McCain too old for president?

Is McCain too old for president?

Old May 24th 2008, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is McCain too old for president?

I wouldn't necessarily write him off as too old wondering about his mental sharpness - many people stay quite sharp.

Thing is though, odds of something major happening health-wise do certainly increase, and then we'd have the VP as president.

However, on the republican side, that's who was chosen - if one were to dream up the ideal candidate, younger would certainly have been better. But he's the one that was chosen.
Old May 24th 2008, 2:01 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Sorry, but for me, age does come into it. McCain comes across on more than one occassion as a dottery auld fella. Not up to snuff. He kinda fell into the Republican nomination after the failures, spectacular and otherwise, of Thompson, Rudy 9iu11ani and Romney.

Back in 2008, McCain told Jim Lehrer:

Well, in 2004, I expect to be campaigning for the re-election of President George W. Bush, and by 2008, I think I might be ready to go down to the old soldiers home and await the cavalry charge there.

He constantly mis-speaks, contradicts himself and has surrounded himself with political figures who go against the grain of the issues he professes to fight for.
That's simply generalising though, judging him as a person is fine but that's not solely due to his age. You could see a 20 year old with one leg then assume that a 20 year old can't ride a bike as they all only have one leg.

The question should be is he too mentally unstable to be president, not too old. They're seperate things.

Also Off topic but what's with the sudden use phrase "Mis-Speak" I heard my boss say it the other day, when quite honestly he should have said mistaken or wrong. Is it a phrase that was commonly used before or just after Hilary used it?
Old May 24th 2008, 2:44 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
That's simply generalising though, judging him as a person is fine but that's not solely due to his age. You could see a 20 year old with one leg then assume that a 20 year old can't ride a bike as they all only have one leg.

The question should be is he too mentally unstable to be president, not too old. They're seperate things.

Also Off topic but what's with the sudden use phrase "Mis-Speak" I heard my boss say it the other day, when quite honestly he should have said mistaken or wrong. Is it a phrase that was commonly used before or just after Hilary used it?
It's been around awhile:

" "There if that I misspeak or say, Wite it the ale of Southwark, I you pray." Chaucer.
Old May 24th 2008, 3:11 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
The question was Is McCain too old for President not "Is 71 years old too old for President". In my book, he is - if it was someone else, then I might feel different.
Old May 24th 2008, 10:22 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
The question was Is McCain too old for President not "Is 71 years old too old for President". In my book, he is - if it was someone else, then I might feel different.
That is a very good point.I think age and the fact that McCain has out dated ideas is why many voters feel he...John McCain is too old.If the man had fresh new ideas and was the kind of person to be open minded his age wouldn't appear to be as much of a issue.

But all McCain seems to want to offer is old rehashed policies from the republican play book that have not worked well at all for the majority of Americans or for the world.These policies are usually dragged out and retitled to give it a different look by every conservative GOP leader including the Bush administration or by Bush 1,Regan and now McCain.

Trickle down economics is nothing but a political slogan that sounds good but in effect results in keeping this country's resources in the hands of the very rich. Fighting terrorism is a code word they like to use for rallying the public to spend much of our resources at the door step of all the arms dealers.Even John McCain is a form of repackaging the GOP brand.The republican big wigs figured that if they can bring out a person who is slightly open to spending a little money on protecting the enviroment(but not too much and no where near as enviromentally protective as a democrat would be) that they could say,see......we are interested in change also.

There is no difference between Bush and McCain on hugh issues such as the Iraq war which is bankrupting our nation,nor any seperation on their opinion on the kind of Supreme court judges to be selected to decide our civil liberties.I have no doubt that gas prices would be much lower if we had never invaded Iraq.The price of gas averaged $1.05 per gallon nationally before the war started.Instability in that region has with out question added at least $1.50 per gallon to what we would be paying today.Wars and embargos allways have that type of effect.A young creative thinking John McCain would be for a different direction from what has not worked in the last 8 years.
Old May 25th 2008, 6:17 am

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

He appears to be good for his age but I think if you ask anyone in their Seventies when they regarded themselves to be in their prime, they would probably say 40's/50's. Away from his age, he is also "old school" and will be no different to Bush.
I spoke to a "soccer mom" yesterday who regards herself as a Republican and she is unhappy with McCain, will not vote Democrat so is choosing not to vote at all.
Old May 25th 2008, 9:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

not to old perhaps, but he's far to crazy....
Old May 25th 2008, 11:10 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
not to old perhaps, but he's far to crazy....
Well at least he doesn't scream.
Old May 26th 2008, 6:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Well at least he doesn't scream.
you just put a horrid, horrid bedroom thought into my head.... ouch....
Old May 26th 2008, 6:54 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JEM3110
He appears to be good for his age but I think if you ask anyone in their Seventies when they regarded themselves to be in their prime, they would probably say 40's/50's. Away from his age, he is also "old school" and will be no different to Bush.
I spoke to a "soccer mom" yesterday who regards herself as a Republican and she is unhappy with McCain, will not vote Democrat so is choosing not to vote at all.
Those "soccer moms" are unhappy about alot of things.... like not enough whatever in their frappuchino.

McCain... a chip off the ol' block alright.
Old May 26th 2008, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I think he is too old. I can't really understand why anyone would want to work beyond 65 - even as president.

The only thing I can think of is that he fancies kicking of WW3 - the fact he's about to pop his clogs anyway means that it'll be no trouble to him
Old May 26th 2008, 9:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Although I admire John McCain for what he went through as a POW...I'm sorry to say I think he is past his sell by date to be President. I am not saying this applies to everyone in their early 70's but I feel it does apply to him. Recently when I hear him speaking I want to go to sleep ...he doesn't instill any confidence in me.
Old May 26th 2008, 3:01 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Although I admire John McCain for what he went through as a POW...I'm sorry to say I think he is past his sell by date to be President. I am not saying this applies to everyone in their early 70's but I feel it does apply to him. Recently when I hear him speaking I want to go to sleep ...he doesn't instill any confidence in me.
Good thing for you, that you put that qualifier in there, Lady.
Old May 26th 2008, 3:11 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Boring is appealing if it means "calm and rational." In this case I don't think it does.

There was an article in The Onion this week about having a triumvirate of McCain, Obama and Clinton ... just seeing the badly Photoshopped picture gave me the willies!
Old May 28th 2008, 3:28 am
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

You know you want to.....

Take the Bush / McCain Challenge

You too will think like 9 out of 10 Republicans, at first stating there is a huge difference between Gee Dub and the Maverick, then you'll flip-flop like the front-runner they're backing.

He voted with Bush 100% in 2008 (although we're only in May) and 97% in 2007. McSame indeed.

Enjoy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.