Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Mailing a small parcel from UK to US, low cost options?

Mailing a small parcel from UK to US, low cost options?

Old Apr 17th 2014, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mailing a small parcel from UK to US, low cost options?

From England to MidWest. Documents weighing around 8lbs. Low cost options that can deliver in 2.5 weeks? Looked up: UPS,FedEx,DHL and Royal Mail and their prices are too high and or takes too long.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 9:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mailing a small parcel from UK to US, low cost options?

Break it up into smaller packets and it'll be cheap.

You get a document rate for under a couple pounds I think it is and the regular royal mail should get here in about a week to 10 days.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Break it up into smaller packets and it'll be cheap.

You get a document rate for under a couple pounds I think it is and the regular royal mail should get here in about a week to 10 days.
Documents are inside a binder. Person in England won't want the hassle of separately mailing it in segments.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 10:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Documents are inside a binder. Person in England won't want the hassle of separately mailing it in segments.
Then at 8 lbs, going to have to suck it up and pay the expensive rate...
Old Apr 17th 2014, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Then at 8 lbs, going to have to suck it up and pay the expensive rate...
The rate I was told was £22 by Royal Mail and £41 by UPS but RoyalMail would take over a month. Last month Mom sent a parcel to England (about 7lbs) by USPS that arrived in a week and only cost about $30, so just surprised RoyalMail costs soo much and takes soo long.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 10:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

The rate I was told was £22 by Royal Mail and £41 by UPS but RoyalMail would take over a month. Last month Mom sent a parcel to England (about 7lbs) by USPS that arrived in a week and only cost about $30, so just surprised RoyalMail costs soo much and takes soo long.
Can slow boat it surface mail through royal mail and that is cheap.

Can take 6-12 weeks though, but usually this time of year can get it in a month, but you wanted it quicker than that so it's pretty much ruled out.

It's the weight that's the problem. You get a low rate for under a couple pounds, it goes up at 4 pounds and gets stupid every couple pounds there after.

What's the document? Something that couldn't just be stuck in an email and re-printed over here? Guess not?
Old Apr 17th 2014, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

I often send smaller packages (2kg - 4kg) using Airsure.
Usually takes 5-10 days.

I'll be flying UK to Mid-West next month if you get desperate ;-)
Old Apr 17th 2014, 11:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The rate I was told was £22 by Royal Mail and £41 by UPS but RoyalMail would take over a month. .....
So basically those are your choices. You pays your money, ..... pick one! .... Any alternatives are going to save you little and/or require an inordinate amount of faffing around.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Can slow boat it surface mail through royal mail and that is cheap.

Can take 6-12 weeks though, but usually this time of year can get it in a month, but you wanted it quicker than that so it's pretty much ruled out.

It's the weight that's the problem. You get a low rate for under a couple pounds, it goes up at 4 pounds and gets stupid every couple pounds there after.

What's the document? Something that couldn't just be stuck in an email and re-printed over here? Guess not?
Document is an operations manual . I already have it on my computer, but I really want a hardcopy.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:43 am
Banned

notshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to behold

try a broker like interparcel or transglobalexpress they use the big carriers but lot cheaper!
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jonion
I often send smaller packages (2kg - 4kg) using Airsure.
Usually takes 5-10 days.

I'll be flying UK to Mid-West next month if you get desperate ;-)
Thanks for the offer but as the price is pretty small, not worth the hassle for you and the sender to muck about with it.

Only reason I am looking for cheaper mail options is cause I already have the Document/manual on my computer but would like a hardcopy.

I look at Airsure and see what their rates are.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Document is an operations manual . I already have it on my computer, but I really want a hardcopy.
Can't you print it off like Bob said?
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Can't you print it off like Bob said?
Cost is much more than buying a used copy in the UK and having it sent here by UPS. Couple of hundred pages and many in colour.

I did recently have Office Depot print a manual that is over 300 pages and bind it . If I had done it in color it would cost something like $160. As I did it in B&W it cost about $40.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you'll just have to release the moths in your wallet then
Old May 5th 2014, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

NCSox is an unknown quantity at this point

My dad sent me a few of my clothes and birthday present over 6 weeks ago, in a large sized box. Not sure the weight, but it arrived here in less then 2 weeks and was sent with Royal Mail cost £40. Which I dint think was too bad.