Reload this Page >

Looking for financial info?

Looking for financial info?

Old May 31st 2010, 4:06 am
Just Joined

yorkpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for financial info?

Good Evening,

So I have a bit of a predicament and wondered if anyone had any info or had any experience on this matter.

I moved over to the States a couple of years back and have recently been struggling to pay off a credit card that I had back in the U.K. I was paying it from an overdraft that I'd had also back home.

Since moving here my job situation has been just about enough to live on but not enough to pay my credit card, overdraft interest or student loans. This has all built up and now I feel pretty much Fu**ed.

I have used both of these accounts in the U.S so these banks know I'm here but don't know any specific address info or residency info except the credit card has my phone number( i told them i was working over here).

I'd never missed any payments and had some savings before coming over here but my visa situation teamed with a few months struggling to find work has left me in the shit.

So I was thinking of filing for bankruptcy in the U.k. Is this a reasonable option? Is their any other option. I really don't know much about debt/credit or how it works or crosses borders so any advice would be greatly received.

Not looking to be judged and I really dont want to go down this route but I have more going out then I do coming in and am looking for ideas.

Thanks,
Old May 31st 2010, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Looking for financial info?

One thing that probably will help to answer would be your visa status.

I would think it makes a pretty big difference to what is recommended, whether you may have to return to the UK at some point.
Old May 31st 2010, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

I have a green card through marriage. Will take trips back to the U.K but have no plans to move back..
Old May 31st 2010, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

To file for bankruptcy in the UK you have to file the papers at the local County Court for the area in which you live (this could be tricky if you're in the US?)

Also, I THINK you have to file in person at the Courthouse, although I could be wrong on that bit.
Old May 31st 2010, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

I could do that. I feel like a complete moron for this. What about just not paying it at all. Do they have the legal ability to take me to court over here?