Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Looking for brandy butter? Stop n Shop has it

Looking for brandy butter? Stop n Shop has it

Old Dec 23rd 2010, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all
Default Looking for brandy butter? Stop n Shop has it

Found some brandy butter today at Stop n Shop - it was labelled brandy hard sauce and made by Cross & Blackwell (don't remember them being famous for brandy butter in the UK!!). Not sure yet if it is any good - I have a Selfridges Xmas pud and some M&S mince pies courtesy of my Father to try them on over Xmas
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for brandy butter? Stop n Shop has it

Originally Posted by EricK
Found some brandy butter today at Stop n Shop - it was labelled brandy hard sauce and made by Cross & Blackwell (don't remember them being famous for brandy butter in the UK!!). Not sure yet if it is any good - I have a Selfridges Xmas pud and some M&S mince pies courtesy of my Father to try them on over Xmas
Hello, butter, icing sugar, brandy, sorted!
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by traceym
Hello, butter, icing sugar, brandy, sorted!
That assumes some skill at doing stuff in the kitchen... which is where the plan comes to a screeching halt!!!
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 12:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Never really liked BB myself...just double up on the cream and pour a little brandy over it.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just found something else out after being here 10 months. A1 sauce from Big Y tastes almost exactly the same as HP Brown sauce, slightly more tart but as good as. It'll save me a bit from having to fork out what I was for HP. Is Brandy butter something you could make yourself?? I don't like it personally, but traditionally, I know a lot of people use it. Have a great Christmas!!
Old Dec 24th 2010, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Brandy butter - as the name suggests - easy peasy lemon squeezy without the lemon - great with nice warm or even hot fruity mince pies and glasses of mulled wine....all you really need is love plus some butter, some icing sugar and dollops of brandy.

Elizabeth, the poor, long suffering wife of the randy philandering diarist Samuel Pepys (1633 - 1703) used to make mince pies every Christmas Eve according to Pepys' diary entries but the mince pies of 17th century England were quite unlike the mince pies we all know and cherish today - I think they were more savoury and contained real minced meat instead of a mixture of dried fruits with soft brown sugar, I'm not sure exactly of what kind of meat. I reckon brandy butter would not exactly do down well with Lizzie's mince pies.