london vs new york

Old Aug 8th 2018, 2:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: london vs new york

Originally Posted by brit.yankee
my brother enlightened me that once I become a US citizen or even as a resident, I become liable to pay taxes to IRS no matter wherever I settle in the whole wide world... now I understand why our patients in London who came from the US never wanted to go back ...they said that NHS was a reason enough for them to live in the UK forever

I uprooted myself very ruthlessly from UK, only to re-unite with my parents & siblings here...so i'm hoping this decision proves worthwhile in the long run 🙏🏻
This is true of being a permanent resident as well. If you returned to the UK or anywhere else in the world and wanted to preserve your residency (keeping an address here, a bank account, etc.) and filed an I-131 which for the right reasons will allow you to be outside of the US for up to 2 years, you still have to pay US taxes.

To naturalize is a personal choice and is often based on many factors unique to the individual. It does allow the freedom to leave the US and return at will and btw there is a tax treaty in place and if you paid you taxes on income earned in the UK in the UK, unless you are making mucho money, you won't own anything to the US. You are just required to file a tax return. So while you brother was correct, his statement was incomplete.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 2:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
My wife lived in NYC and Chicago. She found a lot of people vapid, shallow, narcissistic, and aspirational. She calls them Hungry Ghosts. Empty lives.
Thank goodness there are lots of people who are just the opposite.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 3:02 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Completely agree with all of your points! I flew to NY every couple of months for about 2 years when I was in a LDR.

Avoided NYC as much as possible due to those points you have listed. Luckily she lived in East Hampton which could get crazy in the Summer was a lot more relaxed. Much preferred places in Long Island than NYC.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 4:57 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Thank goodness there are lots of people who are just the opposite.
Certainly not tarring everyone with the same brush. Specifically, it was the demographic she lived with. Ambitious 20s-30s on-the-make. "Creatives", social justice warriors, hipsters, aspiring models/filmmakers/photographers.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Nicola1234 has a reputation beyond reputeNicola1234 has a reputation beyond reputeNicola1234 has a reputation beyond reputeNicola1234 has a reputation beyond reputeNicola1234 has a reputation beyond reputeNicola1234 has a reputation beyond reputeNicola1234 has a reputation beyond reputeNicola1234 has a reputation beyond reputeNicola1234 has a reputation beyond reputeNicola1234 has a reputation beyond reputeNicola1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I’m in the middle of a K1 visa application and my fiancé lives in Manhattan. I live in a tiny village in Buckinghamshire - very rural and the total opposite to NYC. I completely understand the shopping thing,

I love a good Primark bargain and also knowing you can get all your groceries from your local Tesco is great but NYC is 100% my home in my heart now. I love love love being there and I’m so excited to move.

Trader Joes is a great place for groceries and it isn’t as expensive as most places and less additives haha. Also as others said, Marshall’s and TJ Maxx are great and I have seen some cute Boutique shops in Upper West and Modell’s are great for sports clothing. If you’re into workouts I go to Planet Fitness when I am there, great price and equipment. Oh and watch out for CVS coupons, we love them! Haha

The winters I will struggle with more but I’m sure i’ll survive lol. I fine the New Yorkers way more friendly than Londoners and Americans in general!
Old Aug 19th 2018, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

i moved from london to nyc 2 months ago... a few comparisions...and what i miss about london:

1) nyc is louder & noisier... road rage omg...and what we call the 'new york second'... honking horks aggressively... welcome to nyc!

2) people talk so loud....why oh why!... the overall tone of the city is louder than our london

3) no uniform in schools... too much work for us parents in nyc...and expenditure as well... i miss those school unifom multi-packs from ASDA, sainsbury, tesco

4) food is expensive in nyc... fruits, veggies, cereals,meat everything! ... no such concept as our lovely ASDA, LIDL, tesco own brands....and not just price, but quality of food as well... so many additives here

5) clothing is expensive here.... no such place as our beloved Primark at Westfield Stratford! ...though they have opened a Primark in Brooklyn, but prices not as in UK

6) healthcare omg so complicated and expensive!!... I'm still trying to figure out their complex insurance system...NHS i miss you so much :'((( ...dental treatment very expensive here *sigh*

7) no proper lunch break at work! ...ok this i'm not coming to terms with at all.. we need to find a rushed 30mins slot for lunch, anytime when possible... it's not fun at all...i miss my 1 hour long lunch breaks in london...sharing food, jokes and banter with colleagues

8) terribly humid in nyc! ...you skin drips sweat and oil speacialy in August, when humidity becomes unbearable

so far i'm not liking NYC, when compared to London....maybe I get used to it after a year or so...for me the decision to move here was only to reunite with my family... despite that I knew UK is much better in so many ways...let's see if US works for me in the long run...otherwise returning back to UK is always an option
You're in a foreign country. They do things differently there.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 12:17 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

i moved from london to nyc 2 months ago... a few comparisions...and what i miss about london:

1) nyc is louder & noisier... road rage omg...and what we call the 'new york second'... honking horks aggressively... welcome to nyc!

2) people talk so loud....why oh why!... the overall tone of the city is louder than our london

3) no uniform in schools... too much work for us parents in nyc...and expenditure as well... i miss those school unifom multi-packs from ASDA, sainsbury, tesco

4) food is expensive in nyc... fruits, veggies, cereals,meat everything! ... no such concept as our lovely ASDA, LIDL, tesco own brands....and not just price, but quality of food as well... so many additives here

5) clothing is expensive here.... no such place as our beloved Primark at Westfield Stratford! ...though they have opened a Primark in Brooklyn, but prices not as in UK

6) healthcare omg so complicated and expensive!!... I'm still trying to figure out their complex insurance system...NHS i miss you so much :'((( ...dental treatment very expensive here *sigh*

7) no proper lunch break at work! ...ok this i'm not coming to terms with at all.. we need to find a rushed 30mins slot for lunch, anytime when possible... it's not fun at all...i miss my 1 hour long lunch breaks in london...sharing food, jokes and banter with colleagues

8) terribly humid in nyc! ...you skin drips sweat and oil speacialy in August, when humidity becomes unbearable

so far i'm not liking NYC, when compared to London....maybe I get used to it after a year or so...for me the decision to move here was only to reunite with my family... despite that I knew UK is much better in so many ways...let's see if US works for me in the long run...otherwise returning back to UK is always an option
New York is safter than London these days to be fair. At least in new york there is no acid attacks or moped gangs.

And check out Century 21 for clothing it is a discount store near ground zero.

Last edited by andyrebell; Aug 19th 2018 at 12:31 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 12:30 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
My wife lived in NYC and Chicago. She found a lot of people vapid, shallow, narcissistic, and aspirational. She calls them Hungry Ghosts. Empty lives.
I agree with empty lives. Their are great people the ones I met but they are also losers going nowhere in life trying to fight the clock and the clock can never be beaten. Maybe they will be parents for the first time at 50 or 55 pathetic. You only need to look at the single childless real housewives of new york. Everyone for gropping for a strategy to get by. London is not like that. Sex and the City is the worst thing ever created.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
I agree with empty lives. Their are great people the ones I met but they are also losers going nowhere in life trying to fight the clock and the clock can never be beaten. Maybe they will be parents for the first time at 50 or 55 pathetic. You only need to look at the single childless real housewives of new york. Everyone for gropping for a strategy to get by. London is not like that. Sex and the City is the worst thing ever created.
I agree that Sex in the City is awful but why do you assume that having children is everyone's sole purpose in life?
Old Aug 19th 2018, 6:37 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Octang clarified in another post that it was only a small, specific subset of people about whom his wife was speaking. And as to the RHONY, anyone who thinks that the people depicted acting like idiots in a TV reality show are indicative of the general population has bigger problems than can be addressed on an Internet forum. As with every city in the world, NYC has wonderful people and not-so-wonderful people.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 6:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sherbert
I agree that Sex in the City is awful but why do you assume that having children is everyone's sole purpose in life?
I don't but what is missing in certain people's lives? Everyone in new york is therapy it is nuts. London not so much.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 6:46 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I don't but what is missing in certain people's lives? Everyone in new york is therapy it is nuts. London not so much.
Your generalizations are totally ridiculous.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 7:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Your generalizations are totally ridiculous.
Half of girls in new york moved there because of sex and the city and really did. If you are doing that you are nuts. I have got guy friends 38 years old putting girls on scales they go over x weight they dump em. They have got issues. New York great but it is bs at the same time and the wow factor wears off very quickly. So much pressure to look good, be a certain weight, have a certain job, dress a certain way. London perhaps not so much.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 7:49 pm
Banned

expatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond repute

As someone with experience of both as a physician I would say the NHS is getting impossible to work in with chronic understaffing and blame culture that alone is why I couldnt stay there. As for the city itself London is better in a lot of ways and cost of living is lower bizarrely in my view
Old Aug 19th 2018, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

This is the same in every part of the country, not just NYC. American life is about proving how rich, successful ad beautiful you are. People are in therapy here because they are sold lies from the moment they are born about how great they are and will be. When they realize that actually they are not going to be the greatest living human being ('second place first loser') because their education has ill-prepared them for real life (hey, turns out that copying the answers from a board into a book isn't actually all that conducive to working life after all) and actually the system perpetuates the status quo, they become disillusioned and upset and seek answers.

Also, it's 2018 and many women in this county are unable to take control of their own reproductive organs. In many parts of the country there is still a stigma of being an unmarried mother and also even to having a sexual relationship before marriage: those purity rings and father-daughter balls aren't made up. Those who want to have families know that, if they are in low income jobs for example, they are not going to get maternity leave and don't have health insurance and so are going to be income-less for a good chunk of time. I can see why women who do want families are desperate to get married because how else are you going to survive?

And why do American men never seem to grow up? Because they are infantized - often by women - and play to this self fulfilling prophecy. Gah. Apologies for the rant but nothing I said is not true.

Last edited by sherbert; Aug 19th 2018 at 7:57 pm. Reason: punctuation missing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.