london vs new york

Old Aug 7th 2018, 5:20 am
Just Joined

brit.yankee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default london vs new york

i moved from london to nyc 2 months ago... a few comparisions...and what i miss about london:

1) nyc is louder & noisier... road rage omg...and what we call the 'new york second'... honking horks aggressively... welcome to nyc!

2) people talk so loud....why oh why!... the overall tone of the city is louder than our london

3) no uniform in schools... too much work for us parents in nyc...and expenditure as well... i miss those school unifom multi-packs from ASDA, sainsbury, tesco

4) food is expensive in nyc... fruits, veggies, cereals,meat everything! ... no such concept as our lovely ASDA, LIDL, tesco own brands....and not just price, but quality of food as well... so many additives here

5) clothing is expensive here.... no such place as our beloved Primark at Westfield Stratford! ...though they have opened a Primark in Brooklyn, but prices not as in UK

6) healthcare omg so complicated and expensive!!... I'm still trying to figure out their complex insurance system...NHS i miss you so much :'((( ...dental treatment very expensive here *sigh*

7) no proper lunch break at work! ...ok this i'm not coming to terms with at all.. we need to find a rushed 30mins slot for lunch, anytime when possible... it's not fun at all...i miss my 1 hour long lunch breaks in london...sharing food, jokes and banter with colleagues

8) terribly humid in nyc! ...you skin drips sweat and oil speacialy in August, when humidity becomes unbearable

so far i'm not liking NYC, when compared to London....maybe I get used to it after a year or so...for me the decision to move here was only to reunite with my family... despite that I knew UK is much better in so many ways...let's see if US works for me in the long run...otherwise returning back to UK is always an option
Old Aug 7th 2018, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

Dmac_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: london vs new york

Welcome! I've never lived in London, but NYC ain't the same, that's for sure! Which area are you in?
Old Aug 7th 2018, 1:44 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit.yankee

so far i'm not liking NYC, when compared to London....maybe I get used to it after a year or so...for me the decision to move here was only to reunite with my family... despite that I knew UK is much better in so many ways...let's see if US works for me in the long run...otherwise returning back to UK is always an option
Why compare them? Try to enjoy NYC for what it is. London and NYC are both incredible cities, so very different from one another, and each with their own merits.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 2:19 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you can compare any city in the US to one back in the UK.

It's just far too different to compare anything
Old Aug 7th 2018, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Why compare them? Try to enjoy NYC for what it is. London and NYC are both incredible cities, so very different from one another, and each with their own merits.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. One of the best lessons I learned early on after my move was to give up comparisons and accept things as they are, different.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely part of the adventure is the differences?
It is still early days and when we moved over last year l found myself constantly comparing things to the U.K., as it was my main frame of reference but as time goes on you will except things for what they are and they are just different. You will find that little restaurant you love, the great grocery store (that will always be expensive as food is here), a clothes shop that does your fit well and you will make those social connections that hopefully will make it home.
The seasons are amazing in this part of the country so try to get to the beach now and the mountains in both the fall and winter as these are definitely not things that are so readily available in London.
London is a wonderful city but so is NYC and there is so much to see and do both in the city and beyond.
Hope you settle in soon and try and enjoy the AC on the subway as that is definitely an upgrade compared to the tube!!!
Old Aug 7th 2018, 3:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thumbs up to all that have posted such excellent replies. You are talking about living and working in New York City. Safe to assume you are talking about Manhattan. You can't change where you work if you are on a work visa but if you are a permanent resident then you can go anywhere in the US. I recently moved from the NYC area to the deep south and I can sympathize with you. I had to stop comparing my former way of life to what it is now. It is like equating kiwis to watermelon.

However, you don't have to live in Manhattan. No reason why you can't live elsewhere in the tri-state area, i.e. New Jersey, New York, Connecticut. There are great towns and villages on Long Island and many Brits found great places in New Jersey so at least you are away from the city noise, pollution and traffic.

I worked in Manhattan for over 40 years before retiring. Always had a full hour lunch break and two 15 minute breaks per day. Of course, it probably wasn't in your field. Each profession and company and situation is different. But one thing that you will not change is that people in the US, and not just in Manhattan, do not socialize after working hours. You might make one or two 'friends' but I would consider them only acquaintances. That's just how it is.

I've never been to London so I can't say one way or the other how walking around the city proper is but assume it isn't all that much different than mid-town Manhattan. I've been to Paris, Munich, Budapest, Brussels, Vienna, etc. and found on a work day there isn't much difference on the sidewalks than NYC. Crowded, rude and harried people.

P.S. the few personal friends I have who I see outside of the internet who are Brits are very soft spoken. So soft spoken that it is hard for most people, especially me, to hear them, let along understand them with accents and terminology. But now they know me and speak a bit louder and have become more Americanized in their language and me a bit more Brit so our socializing has entered into great place. They are great friends and fun to be with.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 4:24 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, OP, as to your point no. 5 -- have you discovered Marshall's and TJMaxx yet? If not, see if there are any branches in your area. They sell designer clothing (as well as less expensive brands) at deeply discounted prices, and a visit there is always a lot of fun if you like to clothes shop!
Old Aug 7th 2018, 5:22 pm
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, OP, as to your point no. 5 -- have you discovered Marshall's and TJMaxx yet? If not, see if there are any branches in your area. They sell designer clothing (as well as less expensive brands) at deeply discounted prices, and a visit there is always a lot of fun if you like to clothes shop!

Further to this, Ross Dress For Less out does both with the same quality and better prices!! And a better selection too, albeit you probably have to search a little more as it is less organized.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 5:25 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by michaelr711
Further to this, Ross Dress For Less out does both with the same quality and better prices!! And a better selection too, albeit you probably have to search a little more as it is less organized.
Sounds like fun! However, I see their nearest stores are in NJ, PA, and MD. Hope they expand north!
Old Aug 7th 2018, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Add to the list of places to go out hunting and gathering: HomeGoods (often attached to TJMaxx), Nordstrom Rack (excellent for high-end, deeply discounted shoes) and CostPlus World Market (get all the food items you're missing from home albeit at a high price). Thrift stores (what we'd call charity shops) can be excellent for clothes at ultra low prices and very cheap small appliances but you need to hunt around for one that's clean and well organized. Also check to see if Aldi / Lidl have made it to NY yet. I have seen Aldi in Southern California and Lidl in Florida.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

brit.yankee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Thumbs up to all that have posted such excellent replies. You are talking about living and working in New York City. Safe to assume you are talking about Manhattan. You can't change where you work if you are on a work visa but if you are a permanent resident then you can go anywhere in the US. I recently moved from the NYC area to the deep south and I can sympathize with you. I had to stop comparing my former way of life to what it is now. It is like equating kiwis to watermelon.

However, you don't have to live in Manhattan. No reason why you can't live elsewhere in the tri-state area, i.e. New Jersey, New York, Connecticut. There are great towns and villages on Long Island and many Brits found great places in New Jersey so at least you are away from the city noise, pollution and traffic.

I worked in Manhattan for over 40 years before retiring. Always had a full hour lunch break and two 15 minute breaks per day. Of course, it probably wasn't in your field. Each profession and company and situation is different. But one thing that you will not change is that people in the US, and not just in Manhattan, do not socialize after working hours. You might make one or two 'friends' but I would consider them only acquaintances. That's just how it is.

I've never been to London so I can't say one way or the other how walking around the city proper is but assume it isn't all that much different than mid-town Manhattan. I've been to Paris, Munich, Budapest, Brussels, Vienna, etc. and found on a work day there isn't much difference on the sidewalks than NYC. Crowded, rude and harried people.

P.S. the few personal friends I have who I see outside of the internet who are Brits are very soft spoken. So soft spoken that it is hard for most people, especially me, to hear them, let along understand them with accents and terminology. But now they know me and speak a bit louder and have become more Americanized in their language and me a bit more Brit so our socializing has entered into great place. They are great friends and fun to be with.
very lovely post!... well i'm in brooklyn & ny has been like a home to me ever since i was a kid... we travelled extensively and even as an adult i stayed a few years in brooklyn...and after my kid's birth would visit my family every year...brooklyn i know like the back of my hand ...so moving to brooklyn was not a big shock for me.... though visiting used to be more fun than actualy living here... i'm linked to healthcare and the way it works here, is not making me happy...my last job was in Flatbush, which I had to leave because of the abusive aggression i faced from patients...it was too much for me who is used to mild British mannerism... i plan to get my dental hygienist degree from nyc and move out to Upstate NY or any other state...like my bro lives in Idaho, what a peaceful calm life he has, I envy him...

i find people less friendly here, more like robots who are focused on jobs only.... cost of living is high, medical is expensive, traffic is crazy....no wonder there is a constant air of restlessness & stress here... i miss how i used to enjoy lazy weekends sipping tea with friends... just pure relaxation... when u deliberatly slow down the time... i never lived in central london but other calmer neighborhoods...

i enjoyed your comment about how you couldn't understand your british friends coz they were a bit too soft spoken loll...i can totaly relate to that *the struggle is real* )

my brother enlightened me that once I become a US citizen or even as a resident, I become liable to pay taxes to IRS no matter wherever I settle in the whole wide world... now I understand why our patients in London who came from the US never wanted to go back ...they said that NHS was a reason enough for them to live in the UK forever

I uprooted myself very ruthlessly from UK, only to re-unite with my parents & siblings here...so i'm hoping this decision proves worthwhile in the long run 🙏🏻
Old Aug 7th 2018, 11:29 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

My wife lived in NYC and Chicago. She found a lot of people vapid, shallow, narcissistic, and aspirational. She calls them Hungry Ghosts. Empty lives.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Love Marshals and TJMaxx, great value!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.