British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   List what you MISS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/list-what-you-miss-433517/)

Jerseygirl Mar 11th 2007 10:43 pm

Re: List what you MISS

I miss EVERYTHING and I always will. :(

northernbird Mar 11th 2007 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4508131)
I miss EVERYTHING and I always will. :(

I am a bit behind the times down here in dullsville so I am sure it happened yonks ago JG but congrats on becoming a Mod.

phil01 Mar 11th 2007 11:12 pm

As much as I really really really love NZ, I do miss the food from the UK...sage & onion stuffing mix...uncle bens chilli sauce... and cream cakes... real chips from the chippy and I miss TV...I know sounds like I'm a TV slob...I am trying to change to fit into the NZ we don't eat rubbish except KFC mentality but being able to buy a raspberry pavlova all ready made was great...here I have to buy the pavlova and do it myself...aaarrrrg! Grumble over...they do have a rather nice choccy and cream lammington bar...mmmm may just have to pop down the shops now!

nohinsara Mar 11th 2007 11:52 pm

Such wonderful responses! I'm getting misty as we speak. Looking forward to more.

This one stikes a chord in my heart -

Originally Posted by Jan3kids (Post 4504985)

The sound of loose English coins.

What would I give to hear it again :(

Jerseygirl Mar 12th 2007 12:01 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 4508165)
I am a bit behind the times down here in dullsville so I am sure it happened yonks ago JG but congrats on becoming a Mod.

Why thank you. :)

Beryl the Peril Mar 12th 2007 12:13 am

Originally Posted by clougherty family (Post 4506849)
DOONA!!! It's called a continental quilt love!!!!

You must be a bit of an Ozzie now!

JO;)

NO NO!!!! It's a Duvet girl - DUVET!!!

mandtooz Mar 12th 2007 12:21 am

what i miss:

the varying in weather, i feel that its groundhog day here- same old same old

spring, i love spring, the flowers, mild weather, expectations, cleaning house....

being able to walk my dog ANYWHERE and take him anywhere, not qorrying about cane toads, snakes and spiders, ticks killing him

the lovely shops! next childrens clothing, knowing where to go for decent clothes and presents

supermarkets, choice, offers!! lovely food

bacon!

nice ham, that I like

prawn cocktail crisps

decent internet speed

chocolate

my old job!!!

gardening without frying myself

oh i could go on and on and on........................... roll on end of july:lol:

SavBlancGal Mar 12th 2007 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4508126)
OMG, and you're such a long way from home!!

How often do you manage to go back?

First time I went home was after 22 years. Second time 10 years later. Loved every single waking moment that I was there both times. I'm going again later this year for a month and can't wait.

nicola411 Mar 12th 2007 4:31 am

Everything but the rain really:D
My 8 year old son misses prawn cocktail crisps or pink crisps as we used to call them and J20 drinks.

No seriously Pollyanna summed it up really in her short but sweet way. MY LIFE.

Oh yes and having a proper belly laugh with my friends.

gruffbrown Mar 12th 2007 9:07 am

A reverse answer. I miss the American way of refilling prescriptions, phone up the pharmacy, punch in some numbers and it's ready in 4 hours, earlier if it's urgent.
I've just been down to my doctors surgery to refill mine, in person of course.
I asked Mrs Grumpy receptionist if it would be possible to have it earlier than the usual 3 days. She glares at me and says it may, but it will go on my 'record'. I told her it was for my memory loss tablets (it's not), that shut her up :)

Rant over.

St.Georges Girl Mar 12th 2007 9:26 am

Originally Posted by gruffbrown (Post 4509120)
A reverse answer. I miss the American way of refilling prescriptions, phone up the pharmacy, punch in some numbers and it's ready in 4 hours, earlier if it's urgent.
I asked Mrs Grumpy receptionist if it would be possible to have it earlier than the usual 3 days. She glares at me and says it may, but it will go on my 'record'. I told her it was for my memory loss tablets (it's not), that shut her up :)

Rant over.

:lol:

starlet Mar 12th 2007 11:23 am

i miss heaps of stuff!;
  • main - family!
  • friends- i still keep in touch
  • prawn cocktail crisps
  • going out then coming home to a warm house
  • everything close, here i have to drive everywhere
  • taking dog out for a proper walk (not a quick 5 min walked before he gets too hot)
  • all the decent food
  • snow! i loved it!!!

and more but i wont go on.

i cant belive how many things i took for granted!

jumping doris Mar 12th 2007 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown (Post 4509120)

Rant over.

Some things do work well over here. Our bank over here is much more helpful and efficient than the one in the UK. We still have to deal with the UK one and they are useless and unwilling to be helpful in any way.

However good banking will never make up for the loss of Walkers crisps.

Jerseygirl Mar 12th 2007 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 4510055)
Some things do work well over here. Our bank over here is much more helpful and efficient than the one in the UK. We still have to deal with the UK one and they are useless and unwilling to be helpful in any way.

However good banking will never make up for the loss of Walkers crisps.

Exactly the opposite for me...give me Nat West any day of the week.

jumping doris Mar 12th 2007 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4510069)
Exactly the opposite for me...give me Nat West any day of the week.

We are with RBS and have been for 30 plus years and it is only the last 3 or 4 that they have been useless. Didn't matter so much when we lived there and just had ordinary banking needs but at a distance they make me weep. I had a business account with HSBC and they were really good. Here we are with citizens and nothing is ever too much trouble for them.