British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   List what you MISS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/list-what-you-miss-433517/)

Rosie Cheeks Mar 11th 2007 12:11 pm

Re: List what you MISS

Originally Posted by nohinsara (Post 4502905)
I'm feeling particularly homesick today. Anyone want to join me?

Here's my short list:

- The Food: I miss Battenberg cake, M&S Cheese & Onion sandwiches Salt & Vinegar Hoola Hoops, Fanta and Lucozade
- The Tube: Believe it or not I miss the convenience of it. The transit system here is crap
- The Tele: I miss Eastenders
- The Local: I miss the pub mentality
- Texting: I miss the fact that everyone had a mobile and everyone used text. Here in Vancouver it's still not caught on as much. When I try to get people to do it there stare at me blankly and say "Why would I do that when I can just call you?"

That's all for now, but I'm reserving the right to add more later!

Haven't had a chance to look in here for a while.

Good thread. It brought on a bout of homesickness :lol:

I am missing my little house in the UK, the simplicity of it - it was easy to clean! I didn't used to have 97 m2 of tiles to vacumn and mop!!

clougherty family Mar 11th 2007 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jan3kids (Post 4504985)
Long woodland/river/canalside walks with my dogs (off leash)

Cosy old pubs in Winter.

Pubs with beer gardens in Summer.

Being chilly and throwing on a cuddly fleece or jumper.

Wearing socks.

Wearing my hair down.

Snuggling under a doona with my better half and not worrying about sticking together :blink:

Smart school uniforms (and Marks and Spencer 'non-iron' range)

Driving past my old haunts and reminiscing.

Having people pop in.

Recognizing people whilst out and about (when newly arrived) :(

Country lanes.

Damp, grey days/ not knowing what the weathers going to be like before I throw open the curtains.

Old stuff, ruins, history I feel connected to, little glimpses of days gone by.

Distances in miles/ weight in stones and pounds.

The sound of loose English coins.

High Street shopping and market days.

A radiator to hang my towel on in the bathroom.

A hot water tank in my airing cuboard.

Walking to the shops.....well walking in general really.

Newspapers that are a good read.

Oh and Twiglets:p

Sorry......had a bad day and can't sleep ( feel :zzz: but am :eek: due to caffeine overload)

Jan

DOONA!!! It's called a continental quilt love!!!!

You must be a bit of an Ozzie now!

JO;)

bex 66 Mar 11th 2007 1:16 pm

I am not really home sick and am enjoying life here but I do miss certain things :
the sound and smell of an open fire, (In a fireplace)
sparrows,
The sound of the letterbox,
Christmas, .....I really miss Christmas,
Dark cold winter nights,
Boots (the chemist),
Squirrels
Centre Parcs

Enough..... maybe I am more home sick than I thought !!!!:eek:

PaperPenguin Mar 11th 2007 1:27 pm

Family
Friends
The sound of church bells ringing
The sound of birds singing
Seeing the new lambs (at this time of year)
The countryside

Originally Posted by nohinsara (Post 4502905)
I'm feeling particularly homesick today. Anyone want to join me?

Here's my short list:

- The Food: I miss Battenberg cake, M&S Cheese & Onion sandwiches Salt & Vinegar Hoola Hoops, Fanta and Lucozade
- The Tube: Believe it or not I miss the convenience of it. The transit system here is crap
- The Tele: I miss Eastenders
- The Local: I miss the pub mentality
- Texting: I miss the fact that everyone had a mobile and everyone used text. Here in Vancouver it's still not caught on as much. When I try to get people to do it there stare at me blankly and say "Why would I do that when I can just call you?"

That's all for now, but I'm reserving the right to add more later!

TruBrit Mar 11th 2007 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by PaperPenguin (Post 4506944)
Family
Friends
The sound of church bells ringing
The sound of birds singing
Seeing the new lambs (at this time of year)
The countryside

hi paper penguin, sorry the usa section does not have a meet and greet section but perhaps you could introduce yourself here or start a new thread.

welcome to BE :)

jumping doris Mar 11th 2007 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4504813)
I miss London in general, and Putney in particular.

Lots of little things, like Sainsbury's (edible ready meals!), Boots (No 7 cosmetics and make-up!!), Ottakar's in Putney (those comfy sofas and cappucinos), the No. 14 bus, the 'real' Guardian, watchable TV, and seeing the trees in my neighbour's garden bloom in the spring...

And then there's the big things. My son, who found it impossible to settle here. Not being able to visit my parents' grave. My friends - and not having to watch every word I utter in case it might not be politically correct, 'unsuitable for family viewing' or even slightly critical of the great US of A...

Oh, and the ROH, obviously!! :thumbup:

I miss being able to visit my parents graves. I'm glad someone else does, I thought it was just me.
I miss good ready meals and good daily newspapers. I miss the Today show on radio 4 and listening to radio 2 while I work...not that I work here:frown:

I miss being able to garden. We have a big garden here but the deer and rabbits eat everything and we are not allowed fences. I really miss seeing flowers.
Buying lovely flowers in the supermarket. I used to but scented lilies every week but here the supermarkets only sell the sort of flowers you would buy in a petrol station in the UK.
Actually just buying decent food in the supermarket would be nice.
I miss seeing people walking around instead of jogging by with their i-pods, dressed in Lycra when they really shouldn't be. I always feel like tripping them up, they look so smug.
I miss those fast conversations, full of one liners.
I am always putting my foot in it by being politically incorrect.Here it is unacceptable to call someone stupid but perfectly ok to call a disabled person a spastic!!!!!

TraceyW Mar 11th 2007 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 4507489)
Buying lovely flowers in the supermarket. I used to but scented lilies every week but here the supermarkets only sell the sort of flowers you would buy in a petrol station in the UK.
!!!

Oooh I'd forgotten about flowers. It's been so long since I bought any scented ones. I used to buy freesias, oh the smell was fantastic!

britvic Mar 11th 2007 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by TraceyW (Post 4508061)
Oooh I'd forgotten about flowers. It's been so long since I bought any scented ones. I used to buy freesias, oh the smell was fantastic!

Sweet Peas, oh how I miss them :(

SavBlancGal Mar 11th 2007 10:24 pm

After 34 looooong years, I still miss

A cold Christmas
Proper custard pies (not pies filled with custard!)
Access to the countryside
Hearing owls
Ringing churchbells
Castles, old houses
Snow falling
and being amongst people who have known me in my childhood who I can have a laugh with about "the good old days".

TraceyW Mar 11th 2007 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 4508069)

Oh yes, those too. So many colours weren't there. My Dads favourite flowers were daffodils and dahlias. His garden would be awash with the colours, and inside the house too! he used to be a market gardener and would grow flowers to cut and sell. I'll always remember his bunches of sweet williams.:)

jumping doris Mar 11th 2007 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 4508069)

I miss sweet peas and roses. In my UK garden I had a really scented climbing rose and we always grew sweet peas through it.
Can you grow them here (in the US) ?

TruBrit Mar 11th 2007 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 4508096)
I miss sweet peas and roses. In my UK garden I had a really scented climbing rose and we always grew sweet peas through it.

you could try, i tried the first yr but the humidity just finished them off, don't bother anymore :ohmy:

i love the smell of sweet peas, the more you pick the more they bloom right ;)

britvic Mar 11th 2007 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 4508096)

Not even seen the seed's for sweet pea's,use to love Roses in the garden, you can really smell them in the soft summer breeze while having a cuppa in the garden, now will you please shut up ;) I dont have a garden over here :(

TruBrit Mar 11th 2007 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by SavBlancGal (Post 4508078)

A cold Christmas
Hearing owls
Ringing churchbells
Castles, old houses
Snow falling
and being amongst people who have known me in my childhood who I can have a laugh with about "the good old days".

omg 34 yrs...i'd be in a mental home :unsure:

due to the climate changes our uk winters are not quite as cold as they once were and therefore not much snow either. i'm talking about the english winters btw.

Elvira Mar 11th 2007 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by SavBlancGal (Post 4508078)

A cold Christmas
Hearing owls
Ringing churchbells
Castles, old houses
Snow falling

OMG, and you're such a long way from home!!

How often do you manage to go back?