List what you MISS

Old Mar 9th 2007, 6:59 pm
After 10 years of trying

nohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nice
Default List what you MISS

I'm feeling particularly homesick today. Anyone want to join me?

Here's my short list:

- The Food: I miss Battenberg cake, M&S Cheese & Onion sandwiches Salt & Vinegar Hoola Hoops, Fanta and Lucozade
- The Tube: Believe it or not I miss the convenience of it. The transit system here is crap
- The Tele: I miss Eastenders
- The Local: I miss the pub mentality
- Texting: I miss the fact that everyone had a mobile and everyone used text. Here in Vancouver it's still not caught on as much. When I try to get people to do it there stare at me blankly and say "Why would I do that when I can just call you?"

That's all for now, but I'm reserving the right to add more later!
Old Mar 9th 2007, 7:37 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: List what you MISS

At this time of year - Spring - I miss seeing daffodils and going out to the daffodil fields and picking big bunches to have around the house. Also miss seeing tulips which follow. We get them in Ontario but not until May by which time summer is on the way. Not the same.

Also miss decent Engish/Danish bacon - the streaky stuff this side of the world is terrible. Have not eaten bacon in years. Will look forward to it in Sept when we are in UK for a few weeks.
Miss some of M & S foods though they are expensive.

There is probably a couple of other things, but I can't think of them right now. Some foods we can in the stores here so that's OK.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Good thread!

Today I am mostly missing (lol - The Fast show) Pizza Express, choice of cheap, fashionable clothes, Sunday lunches all sat round the table with my extended family, booking a last minute holiday without it costing the earth and the buzz of being around lots of my friends.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 9:20 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Roundabouts

(no, really)
Old Mar 9th 2007, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

our friday night curries with our friends.

the convenience of the tube .....zero mass transit here.

our fantastic brit humour.

the uk clothes and m/s food.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

The spring time. All the daffs out and the hedgerows bursting into life. Seeing the first lambs in the field....then going home for a roast lamb and mint sauce lunch!
Going upstairs to bed...honest I am!
Putting the fire on, closing the curtains and feelings really warm, snug and cosy.
Popping to see our family on a Sunday arvo.
A decent balti
Mr Brains faggots (the meatball type! )
Pickled onion flavour Disco's crisps
Old Mar 9th 2007, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elfman
Roundabouts

(no, really)

can't you just go and find a cul-de-sac to go around and around in?
Old Mar 10th 2007, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Family
Friends
River Thames
Windsor Castle
Just old buildings really - never thought I'd miss that!
Hustle and bustle
Seeing people in the street
Frost
Wearing a jumper or coat
Decent shops
M&S smoked ham and egg roll
Up to date technology
Decent take aways
Lots of jobs
Having a laugh
Good nightlife
Green fields
Not getting asked your life story when doing food shopping by a 16 yr old boy who obviously has no interest in your life
Going to a supermarket and buying decent food and not being questioned by same 16 yr old boy!
Fruit & salad that's not mouldy
Decent coleslaw without having to make it yourself
Nice shoe shops

Can't think of any more off the top of my head, but that's enough for starters!

Jo
Old Mar 10th 2007, 12:09 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Next kids clothes
Old Mar 10th 2007, 12:12 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Roundabouts

(no, really)
There's a circle at 70/73, bit of a mess though. Try the one further down 73 in Berlin, it's almost like Basingstoke.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 1:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My life.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

My Mum & Dad
Being happy
Being normal

Last edited by sandrainaus; Mar 10th 2007 at 1:46 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear you're all missing the UK and I don't know how long you've been away but here's my perspective of living here and visiting Canada several times.

Originally Posted by clougherty family

Family - I'd only miss my parents as the rest of my family have either dropped off the face of the earth or passed away and we're estranged from my outlaws.
Friends - Yep, would miss them.
Windsor Castle - Wouldn't miss it.
Hustle and bustle - To me it's getting too crowded here in the UK, but I can understand if you're living in a much bigger country such as Can/Aus where everything is more spaced out and there is less people. I felt like every day was a Sunday afternoon from about 30 years ago - not many people out.
Seeing people in the street - can relate as people mostly drive in Canada.
Frost - We only had one here this winter :-(
Having a laugh - Try living in my town it sucks. I'm sure the series "The League of Gentlemen" was based on it
Good nightlife - Not in most towns in the UK, people love to get absolutely wrecked then start fights and get sick :-( I don't consider that good nightlife.
Green fields - Sadly fast disappearing in the UK due to house building.
Not getting asked your life story when doing food shopping by a 16 yr old boy who obviously has no interest in your life - The USA attitude to shopping has arrived in the UK too! I am often asked how was my day etc.
Fruit & salad that's not mouldy - Hmmm, I think the quality of fruit has gone down here actually.
Decent coleslaw without having to make it yourself - Now you see I'd like to make my own 'cos then I know exactly what's in it ;-0
Nice shoe shops - Yeah deffo down side if you can't find them where you are.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 2:21 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Sorry to hear you're all missing the UK and I don't know how long you've been away but here's my perspective of living here and visiting Canada several times.
I still miss church bells....bird song and real countryside...old buildings...castles etc...silly things really......
Old Mar 10th 2007, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
I still miss church bells....bird song and real countryside...old buildings...castles etc...silly things really......

They're not silly things, it's what you've been used to.

Last edited by Craftybanshee; Mar 10th 2007 at 2:48 pm. Reason: typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.