List what you MISS

Old Mar 10th 2007, 3:25 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: List what you MISS

I miss London in general, and Putney in particular.

Lots of little things, like Sainsbury's (edible ready meals!), Boots (No 7 cosmetics and make-up!!), Ottakar's in Putney (those comfy sofas and cappucinos), the No. 14 bus, the 'real' Guardian, watchable TV, and seeing the trees in my neighbour's garden bloom in the spring...

And then there's the big things. My son, who found it impossible to settle here. Not being able to visit my parents' grave. My friends - and not having to watch every word I utter in case it might not be politically correct, 'unsuitable for family viewing' or even slightly critical of the great US of A...

Oh, and the ROH, obviously!!
Old Mar 10th 2007, 4:52 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: List what you MISS

Long woodland/river/canalside walks with my dogs (off leash)

Cosy old pubs in Winter.

Pubs with beer gardens in Summer.

Being chilly and throwing on a cuddly fleece or jumper.

Wearing socks.

Wearing my hair down.

Snuggling under a doona with my better half and not worrying about sticking together

Smart school uniforms (and Marks and Spencer 'non-iron' range)

Driving past my old haunts and reminiscing.

Having people pop in.

Recognizing people whilst out and about (when newly arrived)

Country lanes.

Damp, grey days/ not knowing what the weathers going to be like before I throw open the curtains.

Old stuff, ruins, history I feel connected to, little glimpses of days gone by.

Distances in miles/ weight in stones and pounds.

The sound of loose English coins.

High Street shopping and market days.

A radiator to hang my towel on in the bathroom.

A hot water tank in my airing cuboard.

Walking to the shops.....well walking in general really.

Newspapers that are a good read.

Oh and Twiglets

Sorry......had a bad day and can't sleep ( feel but am due to caffeine overload)

Jan
Old Mar 10th 2007, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan3kids
Long woodland/river/canalside walks with my dogs (off leash)

Cosy old pubs in Winter.

Pubs with beer gardens in Summer.

Being chilly and throwing on a cuddly fleece or jumper.

Wearing socks.

Wearing my hair down.

Snuggling under a doona with my better half and not worrying about sticking together

Smart school uniforms (and Marks and Spencer 'non-iron' range)

Driving past my old haunts and reminiscing.

Having people pop in.

Recognizing people whilst out and about (when newly arrived)

Country lanes.

Damp, grey days/ not knowing what the weathers going to be like before I throw open the curtains.

Old stuff, ruins, history I feel connected to, little glimpses of days gone by.

Distances in miles/ weight in stones and pounds.

The sound of loose English coins.

High Street shopping and market days.

A radiator to hang my towel on in the bathroom.

A hot water tank in my airing cuboard.

Walking to the shops.....well walking in general really.

Newspapers that are a good read.

Oh and Twiglets

Sorry......had a bad day and can't sleep ( feel but am due to caffeine overload)

Jan

can i just add to your list,

my cat,

watchin football not just listening to it over tint'rnet!

(should have said my sons and mam as well but that goes without saying!!!)
Old Mar 10th 2007, 6:08 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Boots (No 7 cosmetics and make-up!!),
I posted that you can now get Boots No.7 make-up at Target a few days ago;

http://sites.target.com/site/en/spot...ics&LID=154115

Scroll over 'Featured brands'............ and voila there is the familiar Boots logo
Old Mar 10th 2007, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

Britgal is an unknown quantity at this point

fish and chips!!!
Old Mar 10th 2007, 6:16 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart

Scroll over 'Featured brands'............ and voila there is the familiar Boots logo
Thanks Tom. I remember Bob (I think) posting about this some time last year. I checked out our nearest Target - which unfortunately is very small - but they did not stock No. 7 at that time. I'll have another look next week - hopefully they will have it now.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart

They are not selling it at all Targets as I found out
Old Mar 10th 2007, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Tom. I remember Bob (I think) posting about this some time last year. I checked out our nearest Target - which unfortunately is very small - but they did not stock No. 7 at that time. I'll have another look next week - hopefully they will have it now.
I keep looking just in case, I do go to Target every week
Old Mar 10th 2007, 7:20 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britvic
They are not selling it at all Targets as I found out

well my luverlies...next friday i will be in boots and if there is anything i can bring you back then email me ...my suitcases fit one inside the other and that way i have a spare to bring stuff back so no probs
Old Mar 10th 2007, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TruBrit
well my luverlies...next friday i will be in boots and if there is anything i can bring you back then email me ...my suitcases fit one inside the other and that way i have a spare to bring stuff back so no probs
You little Darling but with eight months to go and counting I'll get by
Old Mar 10th 2007, 9:12 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by TruBrit
That's soooo sweet of you to offer! But I still have stuff my last trip, which should last till April or May, when I hope to go again
Old Mar 10th 2007, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

louisasurreygirl is on a distinguished road

this might sound sad, but i miss a good crispy duck and pancakes.... despite the number of chinese restaurants in toronto, you still can't get a good crispy duck and pancakes with the cucumber, spring onions and hoisin sauce... and good prawn crackers (or shrimp chips as I have discovered they are called here!)
Old Mar 11th 2007, 12:38 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
My life.

Old Mar 11th 2007, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

maggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nice

Gee, where do I start??? (NB having a particularly bad day, just realised quite how stoney broke we are, and we still have 2 weeks til pay day!!)

In no particular order, just as I'm thinkin about them:

decent quality ham
decent quality bacon
decent chinese takeaway (and decent Indian, Thai, Fish and Chips!etc etc)
my family and friends (having said that outlaws arrive next week, which I'm weirdly looking forward to!!
decent quality/reasonably priced Maternity wear (I long for Mothercare, Next and Jojomamanbebe)
decent quality nappies (said outlaws are filling a case with Pampers!)
Thorntons chocolates
something good to watch on Tv of an evening (even with Sky, its still all carp!)
Pasty Presto.....mmmmmm!
having friends over for the weekend
Europe being on the doorstep
M&S food hall
Tescos Finest range
Pizza Express dough balls

Ok I've made myself feel worse now!!

Just off to lie in darkened room and dream of Waitrose.......
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:11 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I'd forgotten about Pizza Express and the garlic dough balls..........dribble, drool.

I can definitely say that alot of the things you have all said I used to miss too, but I have just managed to adapt over the past 10 years I suppose. I still miss the antiquities of the UK and the beautiful scenery of some parts, but most of all and without exception, the biggest miss for me is my old life, which includes my family, and good friends who new me when I was 'me' and not this person I have become.

PS.I do miss London.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.