Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Liquidity vs Exchange rate, any advice?

Liquidity vs Exchange rate, any advice?

Old Oct 11th 2009, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Liquidity vs Exchange rate, any advice?

Originally Posted by king kong
nope i havent gone for it because i havent the 10% in cash lying around equal to the equity out the house , so im going to wing it and hope it doesnt change too much .
20% seems high what about forex ,i opened an account with them about a week ago , they are helpful too and also their website will show you what the current banks will give you as opposed to them .
All i did was photograph my passport , a utility bill [not phone] and a bank statement and your set to go .sell your house BPAY the cash to them and they will automatically transfer it to your benficiaries uk ban account ,which ofcourse is your own .
Must say that I do prefer ozforex.....we did not lock in a value I just kept phoning the broker every so often he was really helpful and since May the Aus dollar has gone from strength to strength....I also locked in a certain rate I wanted for the week it did not reach it (since has...groan) but we still got a fairly good rate compaired to expats who returned earlier on in the year and certainly last year so cannot complain...I really don't think the Aus dollar will go much higher the government cannot have a too strong a dollar otherwise people will be put off buying Aus products and exports will drop...and the knock on effect etc,etc....getting rid of the British Pound....not sure how I feel about that...I suppose what really will be best for Britian is fine for me....now off to finish the Sunday Roast...and perfect weather for it...bliss
Old Oct 11th 2009, 10:54 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Liquidity vs Exchange rate, any advice?

What happens if you lock into a rate and it actually gets better, not worse? Are you screwed (commited to buying at the lower/worse rate)?

Seems to me that these days even the best economists can't get their predictions right so locking in is something of a gamble, so why bother?