British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Liquidity vs Exchange rate, any advice? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/liquidity-vs-exchange-rate-any-advice-634605/)

rab Oct 8th 2009 12:52 pm

Liquidity vs Exchange rate, any advice?

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar position.

Our house in SA is up for sale (2 months, 4 opens, 38 viewings, price dropped) and we can't exchange any cash back to sterling until the place is sold and we have the cash. I do have some cash in the UK though.

Should I lock in an exchange contract while the rate is so good and use GBP to pay the deposit ( it means I won't get the good rate on maybe 20% of our money)?

rab

king kong Oct 8th 2009 1:01 pm

Re: Liquidity vs Exchange rate, any advice?

Originally Posted by rab (Post 8000041)
Hi

I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar position.

Our house in SA is up for sale (2 months, 4 opens, 38 viewings, price dropped) and we can't exchange any cash back to sterling until the place is sold and we have the cash. I do have some cash in the UK though.

Should I lock in an exchange contract while the rate is so good and use GBP to pay the deposit ( it means I won't get the good rate on maybe 20% of our money)?

rab

depends on what your equity is in the property in australia , ie ifs it a 100000 for instance forex want 10% up front to validate the contract . i spoke to foreex last night and they would give me 55.4 for a 6 week contract but then i have a definate date to go . the contract is extndable to any amount of time but the rate changes i believe .Best speak to someone like forex. The plus side is they are giving a good rate for two months time really so reading into that i reckon personally the pound has a fair way to fall yet with another interest rate rise in aussie due in november and the aussie economy very vibrant compared to the uk .

johnh009 Oct 8th 2009 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by king kong (Post 8000064)
depends on what your equity is in the property in australia , ie ifs it a 100000 for instance forex want 10% up front to validate the contract . i spoke to foreex last night and they would give me 55.4 for a 6 week contract but then i have a definate date to go . the contract is extndable to any amount of time but the rate changes i believe .Best speak to someone like forex. The plus side is they are giving a good rate for two months time really so reading into that i reckon personally the pound has a fair way to fall yet with another interest rate rise in aussie due in november and the aussie economy very vibrant compared to the uk .

Interesting, I am in Canada and about to sell my house soon and move back to the UK. I think you are correct about the pound, even if it does not decrease in value, it is not likely to move much higher soon given the amount of government debt.

Also, the Australian and Canadian dollars (and the SA Rand) are partly resource currencies and most likely to increase in value as the World economy improves.

The other conspiracy theory is that they are allowing the pound to fall on purpose to soften the UK public up for entry into the Euro.

Ciderman Oct 8th 2009 6:37 pm

If you can afford it I'd also recommend a forward purchase through a foreign exchange company, having a firm sale on the house first is always a plus. Remember to allow a bit of cash spare if the exchange rate moves the wrong way by a significant amount (15% say) between when you reserve the currency and when you receive it as you'll probably need to pay the fx people a bit more.

I'm using HiFX at the moment and they seem pretty good- they've a forum on here as well.

johnh009 Oct 8th 2009 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Ciderman (Post 8000872)
If you can afford it I'd also recommend a forward purchase through a foreign exchange company, having a firm sale on the house first is always a plus. Remember to allow a bit of cash spare if the exchange rate moves the wrong way by a significant amount (15% say) between when you reserve the currency and when you receive it as you'll probably need to pay the fx people a bit more.

I'm using HiFX at the moment and they seem pretty good- they've a forum on here as well.

I am going to use HiFX. Do you know how far ahead you can reserve a currency and does that mean the rate is fixed at the time you reserve?

Jules Europe Oct 9th 2009 8:09 am

Originally Posted by johnh009 (Post 8001259)
I am going to use HiFX. Do you know how far ahead you can reserve a currency and does that mean the rate is fixed at the time you reserve?

You can normally reserve it some time ahead and its fixed at the time of reservation, but you have to be able to send your funds to them within a certain time limit.

king kong Oct 9th 2009 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Jules Europe (Post 8002680)
You can normally reserve it some time ahead and its fixed at the time of reservation, but you have to be able to send your funds to them within a certain time limit.

Forex told me upto a year ahead .would really like to know what they would give for the aussie dollar to the pound in a years time .

Jules Europe Oct 9th 2009 8:40 am

Originally Posted by king kong (Post 8002684)
Forex told me upto a year ahead .would really like to know what they would give for the aussie dollar to the pound in a years time .

I often speak to people from currency exchange companies in my line of work and they will seldom give you reliable exchange rates that far ahead, currency exchange is just too volatile to be accurately assessed.

stm1971 Oct 9th 2009 11:01 am

Originally Posted by king kong (Post 8000064)

Have you had to pay for that rate KK. Our house is just about to go on the market and I spoke to HiFX and they want a 20% deposit for a forward contract.

king kong Oct 9th 2009 11:09 am

Originally Posted by stm1971 (Post 8003056)
Have you had to pay for that rate KK. Our house is just about to go on the market and I spoke to HiFX and they want a 20% deposit for a forward contract.

nope i havent gone for it because i havent the 10% in cash lying around equal to the equity out the house , so im going to wing it and hope it doesnt change too much .
20% seems high what about forex ,i opened an account with them about a week ago , they are helpful too and also their website will show you what the current banks will give you as opposed to them .
All i did was photograph my passport , a utility bill [not phone] and a bank statement and your set to go .sell your house BPAY the cash to them and they will automatically transfer it to your benficiaries uk ban account ,which ofcourse is your own .

stm1971 Oct 9th 2009 11:18 am

Originally Posted by king kong (Post 8003069)
nope i havent gone for it because i havent the 10% in cash lying around equal to the equity out the house , so im going to wing it and hope it doesnt change too much .
20% seems high what about forex ,i opened an account with them about a week ago , they are helpful too and also their website will show you what the current banks will give you as opposed to them .
All i did was photograph my passport , a utility bill [not phone] and a bank statement and your set to go .sell your house BPAY the cash to them and they will automatically transfer it to your benficiaries uk ban account ,which ofcourse is your own .

Yes, that's pretty much the same deal with HiFx apart from the 10% deposit. Will check out Forex as well, thanks. Like you we don't have that cash lying around so will have to wing it as well. I shouldn't complain too much, we have based our move back on an exchange rate of .48 and I can't see it getting back there for a while......unless our house takes 6 months to sell, god forbid!!

aasmith1957 Oct 9th 2009 11:27 am

A few months ago i joined Ozforex,will transfer cash from sale of house to them when completion date achieved.(takes 24 -48 hours to get cash into account from proceeds of house sale).Transfer money to OZforex before 5pm then it goes in overnight.If you want the money to go into UK bank account real quick pay 30 pounds for CHAPPS.

We need to send money to solicitor in uk for buying a property ( we put an offer on /accepted).We have our buyers coming on Sunday to see if they want to buy almost all of our furniture or just bits and bobs:fingerscrossed:that its all the stuff we don't want.That way no need to divvy it up between the kids and any fighting going on:eek:

2 weeks till completion date:thumbup:

Ciderman Oct 9th 2009 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by johnh009 (Post 8001259)

It seems the rate you're charged for buying ahead is based on a combination of the foreign exchange market volatility and the date you want the funds. Most fx companies allow you to forward buy/fix the rate for up to a year. May be worth you posting to the HiFX forum as the person who responded to my queries was helpful. I'd suggest talking to another two fx companies as well as there's bound to be some differences in the rate they quote. The other one I've used when we first came to Canada was Currencies Direct.

The deposit figure they quote- 10% for example - also seems to be the amount of difference between the two rates (reserving the forward purchase rate versus the current market rate when you actually get the money)that would result in you needing to give them some extra cash. This turns out to be 10% of the currency difference. It sounds more complicated than it is but the fx people can explain it a lot better than me.

johnh009 Oct 9th 2009 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ciderman (Post 8003836)
It seems the rate you're charged for buying ahead is based on a combination of the foreign exchange market volatility and the date you want the funds. Most fx companies allow you to forward buy/fix the rate for up to a year. May be worth you posting to the HiFX forum as the person who responded to my queries was helpful. I'd suggest talking to another two fx companies as well as there's bound to be some differences in the rate they quote. The other one I've used when we first came to Canada was Currencies Direct.

The deposit figure they quote- 10% for example - also seems to be the amount of difference between the two rates (reserving the forward purchase rate versus the current market rate when you actually get the money)that would result in you needing to give them some extra cash. This turns out to be 10% of the currency difference. It sounds more complicated than it is but the fx people can explain it a lot better than me.

Many thanks for all comments. It looks like for those of us going back to the UK, the pound is likely to remain weak into 2010. They are even talking about printing more money.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/markets...page_id=3&ct=5

rab Oct 10th 2009 2:46 am

Ditto thanks. Our problem is the house isn't sold yet. As soon as we can shift it we are in business.

I will ring HiFX and find out.

cheers rab