Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Wikiposts

Let's talk about cars

Old May 27th 2024, 6:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I have the body of my VW car finished except for painting the sides. I will rebuild all the mechanicals and save engine for last. The body is partially welded and partially bolted together. ....
It's looking good, thank you for sharing. I was wondering just last week, how you were progressing with your project.

My own semi-project Accord, with its TSX motor, came unstuck on Saturday afternoon. I pulled away from traffic lights as they turned green, shifted out of first and, .... the gear lever became detached from the shift linkage, and looser than a loose tooth! Luckily I had enough momentum to roll along and reach a very lightly used access/ exit turn lane on the right where I could wait for a tow; also I wasn't in a desperate hurry to get somewhere.

It turned out that the shop that swapped the motor apparently put an undersized cotter pin in the gear shift linkage.
Old May 27th 2024, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

I have the body of my VW car finished except for painting the sides. I will rebuild all the mechanicals and save engine for last. The body is partially welded and partially bolted together.

Will there be additional protection between the tank and the cockpit area?
Old May 27th 2024, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Finknottle
Will there be additional protection between the tank and the cockpit area?
Just the transaxle and engine.
Old May 27th 2024, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's looking good, thank you for sharing. I was wondering just last week, how you were progressing with your project.

My own semi-project Accord, with its TSX motor, came unstuck on Saturday afternoon. I pulled away from traffic lights as they turned green, shifted out of first and, .... the gear lever became detached from the shift linkage, and looser than a loose tooth! Luckily I had enough momentum to roll along and reach a very lightly used access/ exit turn lane on the right where I could wait for a tow; also I wasn't in a desperate hurry to get somewhere.

It turned out that the shop that swapped the motor apparently put an undersized cotter pin in the gear shift linkage.
That was lucky it was a simple problem with easy fix.
Old May 27th 2024, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

Just the transaxle and engine.
I guess that's enough to protect the tank in the case of being rear ended!
Old Jun 20th 2024, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Body of car is done finally. With the cut down tunnel wheel base is 74 inches. All new wheel bearings and brakes. Only need to clean and paint transaxle install new seals then start on the engine.