A language question

Old Aug 27th 2011, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: A language question

To those of you in the States, how long did it take til you altered your own pronunciation of 'can't'? I'll ask about the other 'c' word later
Old Aug 27th 2011, 2:11 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Americans don't seem to use the subjunctive much. They tend to use two conditionals.

"If the first baseman would have caught the ball, the batter would have been out." Instead of "If the first baseman had caught the ball, the batter would have been out."
If I would be a rich man...

Old Aug 27th 2011, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

It's the weird pronunciation of "roof" that gets me. And "data" seems to vary between people as day-ta, dar-ta and datta (I always use the former, but never with the t=d American way)
Old Aug 27th 2011, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Instead of "If the first baseman had caught the ball, the batter would have been out."
or "had of caught the ball"
Old Aug 27th 2011, 8:01 pm

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
or "had of caught the ball"
‘of’ for ‘have’ drives me spare. Here, at least, it's more common than not to hear things like:
He would of come if he would of been able to.

And I still remember Bill Clinton saying:
Give Al Gore and I a chance.

When Redford was interviewed for Out of Africa, he made a remark about working with Meryl Streep saying:
The chemistry between her and I ...

... and then he actually made it worse —when I didn't think that was possible— by re-iterating it as:
The chemistry between she and I ...
Thus proving he's a natural blond.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Christian
‘of’ for ‘have’ drives me spare. Here, at least, it's more common than not to hear things like:
He would of come if he would of been able to.

And I still remember Bill Clinton saying:
Give Al Gore and I a chance.

When Redford was interviewed for Out of Africa, he made a remark about working with Meryl Streep saying:

... and then he actually made it worse —when I didn't think that was possible— by re-iterating it as:
Ok, here we go again - blonde bashing! (And how do you spell 'blonde'?)
Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:56 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by General Tojo
To those of you in the States, how long did it take til you altered your own pronunciation of 'can't'? I'll ask about the other 'c' word later
Well I've been here 25 years and I'm still saying can't the way I did in UK car-n't saying it as cant is too much like the other c word
But then I'm still known as the Mom with the accent at the local school
Old Aug 28th 2011, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe he was thinking of the Rastafarian "I and I".
Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Blond for men and blonde for women.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Well I've been here 25 years and I'm still saying can't the way I did in UK car-n't saying it as cant is too much like the other c word
But then I'm still known as the Mom with the accent at the local school
Been here 15 and I still speak exactly the way I did when I arrived - cant's and all - not consciously trying to , I just think I sound like a pillock when I pronounce things the American way so try not to.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 12:43 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Been here 15 and I still speak exactly the way I did when I arrived - cant's and all - not consciously trying to , I just think I sound like a pillock when I pronounce things the American way so try not to.
Me too. I sound fake if I try to do it.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 12:46 am

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Yes, exactly, and thank you Sally. I'm blond, (though greying now), and so spell it for myself. Diana Dors was blonde. Egg and Cress it's one of but a few adjectives in English that is gender specific, even the American Webster's Dictionary recognises this convention.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Maybe he was thinking of the Rastafarian "I and I".

Well, I'll be "durned" - I didn't know that......
Old Aug 28th 2011, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Me too. I sound fake if I try to do it.
My wife refuses to let me try anymore - says I sound like a cross between Johnny Cash, John Wayne and a Nascar driver
Old Aug 28th 2011, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

One I don't like is 'ekscape', I hear it more on TV than from real people though.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, exactly, and thank you Sally. I'm blond, (though greying now), and so spell it for myself. Diana Dors was blonde. Egg and Cress it's one of but a few adjectives in English that is gender specific, even the American Webster's Dictionary recognises this convention.
I honestly didn't realize there were gender specifics like this - thought it was only in other languages. I know the Polish language has those gender specifics, as does Spanish, but I didn't know about the American ones. (And I did look it up - but not in Webster's - in the Oxford Modern English Dictionary.) Thanks for the "English" lesson - guess I don't know as much as I thought I did!

Please note: I do know how to use apostrophes properly, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.