KY Meetup

Old Dec 8th 2008, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: KY Meetup

Originally Posted by clarissageo
Shall we all wear a red carnation so we know who everyone is?
We all need to get little Union Jack flags

Seriously, does anyone want to be a coordinator? That way when 20 peeps (or more) show up, we don't overwhelm the waiters?
Old Dec 8th 2008, 7:10 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
We all need to get little Union Jack flags

Seriously, does anyone want to be a coordinator? That way when 20 peeps (or more) show up, we don't overwhelm the waiters?
*goes to hide in corner*
Old Dec 8th 2008, 8:14 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

holy poop batman!

I just came up with a bright idea of setting up a group on meetup.com for all us crazy expats & brit lovers to make it easier to organise a meet and get numbers etc........... there are about 20 brits on there (within 25 miles of where i'm gonna be living) all looking to meet with other brits!

Maybe I'm not gonna be the alien I think!
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

holy poop batman!

I just came up with a bright idea of setting up a group on meetup.com for all us crazy expats & brit lovers to make it easier to organise a meet and get numbers etc........... there are about 20 brits on there (within 25 miles of where i'm gonna be living) all looking to meet with other brits!

Maybe I'm not gonna be the alien I think!
Hmmm..wehn I get home I'll take a look at L'ville. I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks for the idea!
Old Dec 9th 2008, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Dodgykeeps will become famous soon enoughDodgykeeps will become famous soon enough

So are we set for Sat 20th, around 12.30ish, for lunch at Newport?
Just want to make sure before I end up agreeing to something else on that day!
Old Dec 9th 2008, 12:51 pm
Dizzy Blonde

I think it was 1pm - to give people time for travelling so they dont have to set off too early

We'll prolly be there between 12.30 and 1 though - I'm wondering if its worth calling ahead to see if we can book a table with there being a few of us?
Old Dec 9th 2008, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Dodgykeeps will become famous soon enoughDodgykeeps will become famous soon enough

I think it was 1pm - to give people time for travelling so they dont have to set off too early

We'll prolly be there between 12.30 and 1 though - I'm wondering if its worth calling ahead to see if we can book a table with there being a few of us?
That sounds like a plan, especially if we need to be in a "family" area or something.

Can we get a total of how many we need to book for? There'll be 4 of us
Old Dec 9th 2008, 1:26 pm
Dizzy Blonde

I've just been looking at the website - I'm a bit worried about the kids in the Irish pub - I can't see a kids menu anywhere, so I'm wondering if maybe this place is an option if the Irish pub doesn't do kids food?

http://www.newportonthelevee.com/dir...ail.aspx?id=23

I know from a selfish point of view that if the kids are happy I get more 'adult time' rather than listening to them whining!

If anyone wants to email me or msn me feel free
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Skint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond repute

We actually live just a few blocks from the Levee complex.

Jax Grill is inside Gameworks and is VERY noisy and not very pleasant to try and have conversations in... plus the food is decidedly bloomin' average

The Claddagh is a better bet - here's their menu - although it may get busy as this is the final weekend before Christmas.

There are other places in Newport that do nice food - like York Street Cafe and Pompilios (a 75-year-old Italian diner where parts of the movie "Rain Man" were filmed). There's also the trusty Hofbrauhaus which has a separate non-smoking* section that has been conducive to get-togethers and birthdays we've had in the past. (If a band is playing - they should be - that can keep the kids amused). All of those are just a few blocks south of the Levee and easy to find (York Street Cafe is the furthest away, the Hofbrauhaus is directly opposite the Levee complex)

I don't want to confuse things for anybody though. The Claddagh is fine and just a short wander from Gameworks if the kids are old enough to go and play by themselves.

We don't have kids so I am a little clueless at to what they might or might not like. Whenever we have friends come and stay with us for the first time, we generally take them to Pompilios first as it has a nice homely feel with a little 'star' quality because of the movie connection. (As an added something/nothing my wife used to work for WOXY... "97X ... Bam, the future of Rock & Roll" real life radio station which Raymond Babbett - Dustbin Hoffman - mutters throughout the film)

* Kentucky still allows smoking in restaurants btw. I think the Claddagh is smoke free, as is York Street. Pompilios main dining hall and ante-room are smoke free (the bar and another room are not). Hofbrauhaus can get smoky in the main event room which is why I suggested the back room.

I have no idea if the e-mail address I have in my profile here is current, but I will check it and invite anyone who might have more questions. Yes, me and the American missus hope to come along whichever decision everyone makes!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:57 am
Dizzy Blonde

Thats really helpful.

I've managed to arrange things so that there is only two of the kids with us, the 11 year old wannabe kray twins, so that does make things a little bit easier for us as they are both very mature and I don't have to tie them down like I do the younger ones!

We'll also have my mum with us as she is coming back with us on the 14th for a month........ Can't really leave her on her own the first week in a different country, hope thats OK

So there will be 5 of us in total.

Shall we just keep it as the Claddagh then?
Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:26 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skint
We actually live just a few blocks from the Levee complex.

Jax Grill is inside Gameworks and is VERY noisy and not very pleasant to try and have conversations in... plus the food is decidedly bloomin' average

The Claddagh is a better bet - here's their menu - although it may get busy as this is the final weekend before Christmas.

There are other places in Newport that do nice food - like York Street Cafe and Pompilios (a 75-year-old Italian diner where parts of the movie "Rain Man" were filmed). There's also the trusty Hofbrauhaus which has a separate non-smoking* section that has been conducive to get-togethers and birthdays we've had in the past. (If a band is playing - they should be - that can keep the kids amused). All of those are just a few blocks south of the Levee and easy to find (York Street Cafe is the furthest away, the Hofbrauhaus is directly opposite the Levee complex)

I don't want to confuse things for anybody though. The Claddagh is fine and just a short wander from Gameworks if the kids are old enough to go and play by themselves.

We don't have kids so I am a little clueless at to what they might or might not like. Whenever we have friends come and stay with us for the first time, we generally take them to Pompilios first as it has a nice homely feel with a little 'star' quality because of the movie connection. (As an added something/nothing my wife used to work for WOXY... "97X ... Bam, the future of Rock & Roll" real life radio station which Raymond Babbett - Dustbin Hoffman - mutters throughout the film)

* Kentucky still allows smoking in restaurants btw. I think the Claddagh is smoke free, as is York Street. Pompilios main dining hall and ante-room are smoke free (the bar and another room are not). Hofbrauhaus can get smoky in the main event room which is why I suggested the back room.

I have no idea if the e-mail address I have in my profile here is current, but I will check it and invite anyone who might have more questions. Yes, me and the American missus hope to come along whichever decision everyone makes!
I've taken my kids to Hofbrauhaus, York Street (used to live on 8th near York and went to the now restaurant when it was a corner grocer) when I was a kid and it was the white ghetto), and Pompilios and they were fine with all but my kids were used to going to those type of 'city' places. I always went to Pompilios as a kid and seems like that is the fave (even my German exchange student liked it, but my Brit DH does not). Pomp's has more kid friendly food I think (unless the menu has changed at the other 2)
Old Dec 11th 2008, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

mojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud of

Newport's good for us
Old Dec 11th 2008, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I vote The Claddagh. I just hope they do have a kids menu as I only found an adult one online.

I volunteer Skint to be our coordinator, since he lives right around the corner from Newport! All ya need to do is get the total number of us, and call Claddagh to warn them!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Looks good to me - I'm sure my two would share something off the menu if it came down to it although I'd be amazed if this is the first place we'd been to in the US that didn't have a kids menu!!
Old Dec 12th 2008, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Skint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond reputeSkint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I volunteer Skint to be our coordinator, since he lives right around the corner from Newport! All ya need to do is get the total number of us, and call Claddagh to warn them!
I will call them to ensure they can accomodate a 'group' on that Saturday lunchtime. Do we have even rough numbers yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.