Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Kids - grown up ones

Kids - grown up ones

Old Oct 31st 2014, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids - grown up ones

Originally Posted by MsElui
she is desperately hoping she gets a purple or pink cast when this temp white one is changed out.
Casts are amazing nowadays - not only was my daughter's purple, but she could swim in it! (We're in AZ, so not being able to swim during August/ September would be a trial.) She had to still plastic bag it for showers, but that was apparently to keep the soap out, not the water - I guess her arm would go all funky underneath from not being rinsed properly.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 7:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
she is desperately hoping she gets a purple or pink cast when this temp white one is changed out.
Mine was given the option of a whole range of colours as well as "camo" patterns, when she broke her arm last year. She opted for purple, which considering the bill invoice for just the cast material alone was $350, glad she was able to get the colour she wanted
Old Oct 31st 2014, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

One happy discovery was that the cost of removing the cast seemed to be built into the cost of putting it on. The removal appointment only had a charge for an x-ray, and one for the soft velcro cast she then wore for a week or two afterwards for sport; that appointment was therefore only $70-something dollars rather than the 'another $500+' that I was mentally budgeting for.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
My daughter had a cast just like that (except purple) until a couple of weeks ago. We bike to school, and she pulled the front brake too hard and went over the bars. So my 'bike to save gas money' plan has somewhat backfired - it'll take me at least the rest of this school year to get payback on the $1k or so a broken arm has cost.

Hope everyone recovers fully.
Jeez, am praying my OH doesn't read this. I'm still in physio 7 months and 2 ops after a fall from my bike shattered my shoulder! Whilst I'm happily back riding (OH NOT happy!), he'd go for an all out cycling ban if he realised the potential costs.
Hope your daughter recovers well and gets back in the saddle soon.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Casts are amazing nowadays - not only was my daughter's purple, but she could swim in it! (We're in AZ, so not being able to swim during August/ September would be a trial.) She had to still plastic bag it for showers, but that was apparently to keep the soap out, not the water - I guess her arm would go all funky underneath from not being rinsed properly.
Those types of casts are luxury items here, you can have them but have to pay for them. Medical services only covers the old fashioned run of the mill white plaster cast.

I broke my wrist when I was 17, I got a blue one, my choice was blue or neon pink. When the thing was taken off, I hope to never have to see/experience that again. 7 weeks + arm in cast = unpleasant look and smell.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 31st 2014 at 8:39 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by loubiblu
Jeez, am praying my OH doesn't read this. I'm still in physio 7 months and 2 ops after a fall from my bike shattered my shoulder! Whilst I'm happily back riding (OH NOT happy!), he'd go for an all out cycling ban if he realised the potential costs.
Hope your daughter recovers well and gets back in the saddle soon.
She definitely will be - we currently have visiting grandparents so are still driving to school with them, but will be back to biking in a couple of weeks when they're gone. I'm a huge biking fan, but for transport rather than sport; I spent nearly 4 years living in Switzerland car-free before coming here, and would love to get that sort of life back one day.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Hope everyone has a speedy recovery, especially the adults as it takes longer normally. After a nasty fall on a bike a few years ago but with no broken bones, definitely not getting on one again. Saw a woman in the park a few weeks back in absolute tears after a punt to the ground. Don't think her husband was going to get her to ride the bike again from the conversation I heard. Don't blame her.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 6:20 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Spoke with my son yesterday. Things not going too well. His left leg is really bad. He showed me over Facetime and it looked terrible. Several large gashes stitched up and leg still badly swollen and bruised. Looks like torn ligament and cartilage in his knee. Will be off work for a minimum of another 4 weeks. Having to take prescription pain killers, which don't help much.

To top it off the prat who pulled out in front of him has 1) made a formal complaint against him, and 2) made a claim for compensation.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 8:48 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury

To top it off the prat who pulled out in front of him has 1) made a formal complaint against him, and 2) made a claim for compensation.
Incredible! Did you say there was some kind of dashboard cam recording the incident that would show how the idiot pulled straight out in front of your son?
Old Nov 7th 2014, 8:56 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Incredible! Did you say there was some kind of dashboard cam recording the incident that would show how the idiot pulled straight out in front of your son?
No dashboard cam, but there is an independent witness who stated that the guy pulled away from the kerb right into my sons path.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 4:23 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter had a cast just like that (except purple) until a couple of weeks ago. We bike to school, and she pulled the front brake too hard and went over the bars. So my 'bike to save gas money' plan has somewhat backfired - it'll take me at least the rest of this school year to get payback on the $1k or so a broken arm has cost.

Hope everyone recovers fully.
My daughter did exactly the same thing on her bike about 4 years ago (although we did live on quite a steep hill then so it was quite spectacular by all accounts) and broke her wrist. Her helmet was trash afterwards! Glad to say hers didn't cost that much to 'repair' and to her disgust was the left wrist so didn't affect her participation in lessons

Hope your boy heals quickly.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

KimmyCustard has a reputation beyond reputeKimmyCustard has a reputation beyond reputeKimmyCustard has a reputation beyond reputeKimmyCustard has a reputation beyond reputeKimmyCustard has a reputation beyond reputeKimmyCustard has a reputation beyond reputeKimmyCustard has a reputation beyond reputeKimmyCustard has a reputation beyond reputeKimmyCustard has a reputation beyond reputeKimmyCustard has a reputation beyond reputeKimmyCustard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Spoke with my son yesterday. Things not going too well. His left leg is really bad. He showed me over Facetime and it looked terrible. Several large gashes stitched up and leg still badly swollen and bruised. Looks like torn ligament and cartilage in his knee. Will be off work for a minimum of another 4 weeks. Having to take prescription pain killers, which don't help much.

Yep that sounds about right, whenever the police are involved in anything in the UK, someone always pops up and claims to be a victim then wants a pay out , I think they believe we have a pot sat in the corner waiting to spew out £££.............

Tell him to take his time and heal properly, he wont get a badge for rushing back to work too early.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 10:23 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

It's only been a week since son got his wrist/arm cast taken off and I start to get him to tidy up a bit more .... and wham! Daughter doesn't come home alone tonight from athletics club but accompanied by the coach ..... all the way to my kitchen - which thank goodness for once was spotless.

Coach puts some kind of strange bandage on .......
Attached Thumbnails Kids - grown up ones-img_3221.jpg