Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

I've got acid indigestion...

I've got acid indigestion...

Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've got acid indigestion...

Originally Posted by keira-2007
Get it most days.... and when I'm stressed or worried.... which is most days!!

Any good OTC tablets worth taking? Or better still any food or drink which deters it?

Personally I find drinking milk after a meal helps... not sure if it's psychosamatic (probably spelt wrong!) or if there is something in milk that combats stomach acid.

Please don't tell me to go to the doctor... I fear doctors.
I used to take prescription Prilosec,it worked great,for a while,but then it seemed to stop working,so the nurse at my docs office said to try Zantac 150,that I could buy over the counter,it's fantastic!,instead of taking it every day,like the Prilosec,I just take it when I feel the indigestion coming on it works within a few minutes,and they've brought out a mint flavoured one,if I look I can get a packet of 24 in walmart for around $7...that lasts me for several months....a lot cheaper than the Prilosec,that was $15-20 per month with my co-pay!!
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
I developed acid reflux after I moved here. I'm not sure if its the change of diet or just a fact of getting older and having partied too much in my youth.
I take a prescription drug called Aciphex. I have tried all the others, nexium, prilosec, some others I forgot the name of, and countless OTC drugs. I even saw a gastroenterologist and was scoped (I have some great photo's of my 'guts' ). First of all see your doctor, it could (although unlikely) be the result of a more serious problem. Continued irritation can cause ulcers and become life threatening - again highly unlikely, but something to at leat consider.

The drug company used to offer a $30 rebate, which meant mailing the receipt each month. They now issue a credit card I can use. I have a $25 co-pay, but the drug company picks up the tab - you swipe the credit card and enter the pin they provide. Your health care provider should carry a stock of free trials of all the ones on the market.

Milk is not a great help - it offers immediate relief but not long term (my gastroenterologist said the fat in it only aggravates the problem).

You have a few choices - ignore the cause and treat the symptoms - either OTC drugs or a prescription. You'll probably be OK. Prescription drugs work better than OTC. Most prescription drugs work by inhibiting the proton pumps which prevents excessive acid (or some other medical babble I vaguely understood), OTC drugs neutralize the acid AFTER it is in your gut.
Your other choice is to bite the bullet and see a doctor. You'll feel a lot better if you KNOW your OK, rather than HOPE you are OK.

I'm not trying to preach, I too didn't want to be scoped, but it wasn't that bad at all; I was under the whole time and didn't know anything.
Actually, that's partially correct.

Antacids such as Tums etc. neutralize acide after it's produced.

H2 receptor antagonists such as Zantac(ranitidine) and Pepcid reduce the amount acid the stomach produces.

Proton-Pump inihibitors such as Prilosec almost entirely prevent the production of acid. These are the prescription ones I believe.

The PPI's shouldn't generally be used for more than 6-12 weeks at a stretch. The H2 blockers are safer for long-term use.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tracym
Actually, that's partially correct.

Antacids such as Tums etc. neutralize acide after it's produced.

H2 receptor antagonists such as Zantac(ranitidine) and Pepcid reduce the amount acid the stomach produces.

Proton-Pump inihibitors such as Prilosec almost entirely prevent the production of acid. These are the prescription ones I believe.

The PPI's shouldn't generally be used for more than 6-12 weeks at a stretch. The H2 blockers are safer for long-term use.
Another thing one might do is try Papaya enzymes they are packed like Roll aids
and I just remembered my grandson has acid reflux and it works for him when he reverts back to bad eating.