Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Internet - how much $$?

Internet - how much $$?

Old Jan 7th 2022, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet - how much $$?

$69.99 for AT&T 1gb connection - was $49.99 for 12 months I think, which was a save deal at the time as I was cancelling mobile phones at the same time. The only competition is a local provider who we had when we first moved over and they were not very good at all. I think they also charge the same now for a slower connection speed.
Old Jan 7th 2022, 1:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
One problem is that internet/telecom providers are so annoying to try to contact & deal with, I just avoid engaging with them. Yesterday I repeatedly told Spectrum “I have internet only, no TV.” Their response was, “if you want to reduce the price you’ll have to drop some channels.

You should ask them "how much reduction if I drop TV completely?"
If they mention a figure, then you say "do that then." Either the message finally gets through or you do actually get a reduction
Old Jan 7th 2022, 1:07 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

You should ask them "how much reduction if I drop TV completely?"
If they mention a figure, then you say "do that then." Either the message finally gets through or you do actually get a reduction
I should’ve thought of that

For many years we got completely free internet access from the state, as I was a librarian. So I think I’m still resistant to the idea of having to pay for it. (The state actually had a monopoly of providing it in the early days, as no commercial providers were interested.)
Old Jan 7th 2022, 1:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
...For many years we got completely free internet access from the state, as I was a librarian. So I think I’m still resistant to the idea of having to pay for it.
I feel the same with blackberries. Picked free over the fields as a child and by the bucket-load on the Bristol-Bath cycle path and here I have to buy them.

Mind you they're from Mexico and huge with no rejects.
Old Jan 7th 2022, 3:46 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I feel the same with blackberries. Picked free over the fields as a child and by the bucket-load on the Bristol-Bath cycle path and here I have to buy them.

Mind you they're from Mexico and huge with no rejects.
We are fortunate, we have a blackberry patch. Mind you, over the years it’s got smaller and smaller as my wife prefers lawn to brambles. They are ripe here (northern NY) in July, whereas in England it’s an early autumn crop. This year we had so many we froze pounds of them, I believe there’s still some in the freezer.
Old Jan 7th 2022, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Comcast xfinity internet only 600Mbps $65 per month including modem fee (previous two modems got fried a week apart by nearby lightening strikes last summer. The second was rented from xfinity and replaced no questions). Plus a digital antenna to pick up the superbowl!
Old Jan 7th 2022, 5:02 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

WOW! is $90 per month for 500/50 including modem hire. Spectrum is dearer for similar speeds and worse service locally.

We'd love to get FiOS, but we are several blocks from the nearest connection point.
Old Jan 7th 2022, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
In the other place I live, the cable TV and data service is bundled in with the (exorbitant) monthly HOA fees.
The only thing that would piss me off more than the ridiculous cost of internet access (or the cost of cell phone plans) is having to pay HOA fees. When we moved 16 months ago, we actually had to rule out some nice houses as both of us refused to get involved with a HOA.
Old Jan 7th 2022, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

Spectrum has a 100mbs down/10mbs up plan for $10.00 a month for seniors. The router is an additional $10 bucks a month, I have it. You can buy your own router if you don't prefer perpetual leasing. The router that includes wireless access might be higher than $10. I'm still using an Apple airport to create my home wireless network.
Old Jan 7th 2022, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

$60 for gigabit with AT&T
Old Jan 8th 2022, 12:03 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I am 55 yo. Am I a senior.? I have my own modem I do not need the free one I currently have. Please may I change from $18 to $10 a month for 2.5x speed! (& wtf is apple airport.? Do I need to know?)
Old Jan 8th 2022, 12:10 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Comcast Xfinity (or whatever they call it) Internet only, no phone, no TV around $100.00 per month. My wife works from home, so we do get $35.00 or something from her employer towards its cost. We have a 1,229GB month limit. We are usually touch at least close to 1,000GB each month
This has got me checking what I have, and what I can get.
I am going to upgrade from 70mbps to 300mbps, and I will save $35.00, from $100.00 down to $65.00
Old Jan 8th 2022, 12:20 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

We’ve been getting promotions for T Mobile Home Internet. Curiously, they have been offering $50 per month.
Old Jan 8th 2022, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I am 55 yo. Am I a senior.? I have my own modem I do not need the free one I currently have. Please may I change from $18 to $10 a month for 2.5x speed! (& wtf is apple airport.? Do I need to know?)
Don't know if 55 is a senior or not to Spectrum. Apple got out of the home wireless business a couple of years ago, but here's a link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPort_Time_Capsule

Basically you run an ethernet cable from the router to this and it creates your home wireless network. It's really easy to set up if you have any Apple products.
Old Jan 8th 2022, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
This has got me checking what I have, and what I can get.
I am going to upgrade from 70mbps to 300mbps, and I will save $35.00, from $100.00 down to $65.00
Did they say if this was a 'package' or 'promotion' or whatever? Usually, Comcast will offer these deals for '1 year' and then, if you don't actively re-negotiate, they will bump you up in price without any further warning. As long as you don't mind fussing with them every year or so, this is not a terrible state of affairs but it is something you'll need to keep an eye on. But what you may have found is that you were on some legacy rate that was appropriate a few years ago, but has been reduced as the infrastructure has been improved ... but they never told you about it. Calling and verifying things once a year is definitely not a bad idea for a number of reasons.

The biggest hassle in terms of getting faster rates is that it often requires equipment upgrades, and those aren't always seamless activities. We needed new equipment in California recently, and the latest device they gave us (a combined modem/router/wifi access point) has a noisy fan which drives me crazy! In Arizona, I had a tech out troubleshooting an issue; he had to install an amplifier at the main cable box to boost the signal at the main TV outlet. I don't recall now if he said I still had the older 'RG59' coax cable or not (RG6 is the current standard). Basically, faster speeds require better infrastructure all round.

As an aside, when I lowered my bandwidth last year from around 100 to 50mbps, in order to save money, I didn't notice any difference in my viewing experience. A typical show on Netflix needs about 5Mbps for standard quality content, or 25 Mbps for 4K ultra content (which I don't pay for). So even 25 Mbps is 'good enough', unless you have multiple people in your household who are concurrently watching streaming content.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.