Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Interesting to know?

Interesting to know?

Old May 21st 2012, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

debs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nice
Default Interesting to know?

Hi Guys

I have just moved back to blighty last week and it still feels quite surreal and still cannot get my head round being back sadly.

I'm not sure I have made the right decision to come back to the place I left because I feel I have moved on in alot of ways.

How many people have moved back to their own town please it would be interesting to know? Or moved to another part of the country?

Only I am now thinking about looking to move to another part of England?

Cheers

Debbie
Old May 21st 2012, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice
Default Re: Interesting to know?

We moved to another part.We felt like it was a step backwards,moving back to the same place.......for alot of reasons really. We are only an hour and a half away though,so we can still see family and friends . We feel we made the right choice
Good luck
Old May 21st 2012, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I have moved back "home" but I wouldnt have done, had that not been where the need was right now and I certainly wouldnt have done it had I moved back to UK within 10 years of leaving it. I dont think you can ever really successfully go back to exactly what you had and there is so much more of the UK to explore and try out - I'd be looking further afield if you arent tied to the home base!
Old May 21st 2012, 7:43 am
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
We moved to another part.We felt like it was a step backwards,moving back to the same place.......for alot of reasons really. We are only an hour and a half away though,so we can still see family and friends . We feel we made the right choice
Good luck
I think Cumbrian Lass is right. If it doesn't feel right for you then move to another place, which doesn't have to be that far away for it to feel new. We are similar to you Debbie in that we were only in Canada for a short time but it does change you and your outlook.
Good luck and don't rush it.
Just wanted to add that due to childrens schooling (excellent secondary school which my daughter has returned to) we have returned to the place we left. But we won't restrict ourselves to buying back in exactly the same place. Maybe only to the next village but it will feel different. Friends of ours have returned from Australia after two years and have bought on exactly the same street which they left. Each to their own. They feel that is right for them.

Last edited by gillyd65; May 21st 2012 at 7:49 am.
Old May 23rd 2012, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

msbds is on a distinguished road

We've only been in WA since beginning of March, but I'm looking at going 'home' and I'll be going to the same area I left, but that's because my two teenagers stayed in the UK with their Dad while me, OH and our son came over to WA. As soon as the younger one has his visa validated (he broke his leg the week before we left the UK) I want to head back. They don't think the times right for them to up sticks and move to WA, but thankfully we've got till Sept 2016 before our visas run out, so plenty of time to change their minds at least half a dozen times!

Plus my 8 year wants to go back to 'his' school.
Old May 23rd 2012, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we were away 10 years (going back but another story) and returned to the place we were before- just because it seemed easier.

Had we been planning to stay long term, I definitely would go somewhere else. I have outgrown London and the crowds and would like a different pace of life with less time (and money) spent commuting.
Try somewhere else- UK is your oyster!