Instant Coffee

Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

JupiterAndBeyond will become famous soon enough
Default Instant Coffee

I've yet to find it but do they sell Gold Blend in the USA? Perhaps it has a different name? If not, what's the closest to it? I've been drinking Nescafe's Tasters Choice, which isn't bad. Any other recommendations?
Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:56 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Instant Coffee

Originally Posted by JupiterAndBeyond
I've yet to find it but do they sell Gold Blend in the USA? Perhaps it has a different name? If not, what's the closest to it? I've been drinking Nescafe's Tasters Choice, which isn't bad. Any other recommendations?
Real coffee?
Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Real coffee?
I don't want to keep heading out to the local Starbucks.

Seriously, I love Espresso but tend to only drink it in evenings hence why I wanted to track down my UK staple.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

gatsbygirl8 will become famous soon enough

What about skipping the Starbucks and just buying a regular drip coffee maker or a cafetiere/french press and make your own brewed coffee?
Old Feb 25th 2011, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gatsbygirl8
What about skipping the Starbucks and just buying a regular drip coffee maker or a cafetiere/french press and make your own brewed coffee?
Now there's another story - we have a drip coffee maker at home but I haven't found a coffee I like the taste of yet to put in it. My OH likes the Dunkin' Donuts blend - any recommendations?

Also we have one of those Keurig single cup machines, I've tasted around 10 different coffee capsules and can conclude they are universally disgusting!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Now there's another story - we have a drip coffee maker at home but I haven't found a coffee I like the taste of yet to put in it. My OH likes the Dunkin' Donuts blend - any recommendations?
Pretty much any coffee from coffeeam.com, blend or single origin, will beat Dunkin Donuts hands down. Personally I like their Brazil Formosa, Indian Monsoon and Mysore, the Sumatra Black Satin and Mandheling and the Galapagos. Their Kenya AA or Costa Rica Reserve are probably closest to the Dunkin Donut muck, but good! Also, see if there are any local roasters in your area, some grocery stores will roast there own and there are often small independent roasters who supply local businesses and sell to the public. You can also try roasting your own! sweetmarias.com is probably the best source for that kind of stuff.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:01 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Dunkin Donuts is not terrible, but a bit basic.. I suspect it is a blend of cheap coffees. I have to say that I find 95% of coffee available in the US is so piss-poor it is basically undrinkable. Hard to find decent quality beans, well roasted and fresh, such as you can find in any major British supermarket.
I've tried quite a few of the online suppliers over the years, and I've settled on Zabars in New York City. Their prices are very reasonable, $8.50 a pound I think, and they have free shipping if you buy four pounds at a time. I get Kenya AA, Organic Colombia, and a blend that they call "Blue Mountain Style." I just put in a repeat order every four to five weeks. I've tried some local and regional roasters but I find that most people seem to over-roast - basically, burn - the coffee, to my taste, anyway.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I just get Douwe Egberts sent over by www.britishcornershop.co.uk.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:39 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I used to get bean deliveries from Gevalia - they do a few decent ones, but you have to be careful. They also have regular offers of free filter coffee machines with your first order!

I've given up on them now and generally use a local coffee shops house espresso blend for making espresso at home - its a franchise (Dunn Bros), but a small one I think, or at least they only have a few around Houston. They roast daily, so you're always sure of getting a fresh bag, and I grind at home so its always pretty fresh when it hits my machine.

On the original question of Gold Blend - yes you can get it here - I get it at the international isle of our local HEB for using when we're camping....although I have toyed with the idea of getting one of these - anyone used one?
http://handpresso.com/
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:48 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
I just get Douwe Egberts sent over by www.britishcornershop.co.uk.
I've not had Douwe Egberts since coming here, I'm always telling the OH that it's a good instant coffee, would be interesting to do a side by side to see if it does stand up against a good fresh coffee.

We're drinking a lot of Whole Foods Winter Blend at the moment as it was on sale! Really nice though!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

SofiaC is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have a Whole Foods nearby? Amazing selection of coffee beans to grind onsite.

Instant wise... try Chock Full o Nuts. And the proper 'coffee mate' creamer helps! or half & half milk..
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:53 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
although I have toyed with the idea of getting one of these - anyone used one?
http://handpresso.com/
Now that's pretty cool!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

SofiaC is an unknown quantity at this point

when it comes to coffee for me.... It's not a game!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 2:12 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

Originally Posted by SofiaC
when it comes to coffee for me.... It's not a game!
Care to elaborate?
Old Feb 25th 2011, 2:29 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Your thread says "Instant Coffee" instant to me means from a jar put in the spoon and hey presto, not getting a peculator and buying coffee beans..... or is instant coffee anything thats not bought from a StarBucks or the such like!!

I used Folgers instant its OK and you get used to it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.