Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Is this an impossible dream? I have to do it!

Is this an impossible dream? I have to do it!

Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:57 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this an impossible dream? I have to do it!

Re: the hundreds of job applications thing. I get job apps in my email all the time. Some of them are very highly qualified, but almost none of them know who I am or exactly what I work on (despite them saying they want to work with / for me). Some of them don't even know who I work for. A few even have me as part of a mailing list.

Point is, it doesn't matter how well qualified these individuals are, if they can't give me a good reason for hiring them (getting them a visa is not useful to me), I won't give them a moment of my time. DO NOT randomly seek jobs - you're far better targeting 5 or 6 positions after some thorough research, than applying to hundreds of positions. Each application MUST be specifically tailored to the position.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

paul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to all

Thought I'd add my two cents as well and second Orangepants post.

I work for a multinational in London (mainly publishing but also run events) with offices in the US, Canada and HK. Although I work in the finance department, from our area in the past 3 months we've had one person transfer to HK and another to our NY offices.

Granted they've been here for a couple of years each, but if you're good at your job and a role comes up in one of the the overseas offices my company will always try and consider internal applicants. So it may take a couple of years and a job change, but where there's a will....
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Bitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really nice

Hi
First of all it is not an impossible dream to achieve, but it may take a lot longer. As with everything, if you want something badly enough there is usually a way, but it takes time, seeds need to be sown.

This is my story: I was about your age when I went to the US for the first time and fell in love with California. I briefly investigated different options and they all seemed to too be expensive and overwhelming. I didn't give up, I still had my dream, but I realised I'd have to get on with my life here in the UK.

Of course I was disappointed that I couldn't make my dream happen instantly, but with youth, that's often the price you pay! I realized the position I was in at the time wouldn't get me to where I wanted to be, so regardless of how long it would take, I knew I would have to set the ball in motion.

At the time I was a low paid secretary earning about £12K a year (yeah that much), but I knew I could make money elsewhere (property). So over the years I bought and sold and bought and sold, each time making a bit more profit..... until I had more than enough money to buy a business on an E2 visa. This visa will allow me to stay indefinitely (only condition is that I still own and run the business).

It's taken just over 10 years which is something I know you won't want to hear, but remember time will pass for all of us. If I'd had enough money at 25 I doubt I'd have the mindset to be able to run a successful business by myself and would have ended up screwing things up big time.

Relocating is a huge move and I now finally feel grown up enough to handle what the US is going to throw at me.

Just start sowing some seeds now at the very least and don't give up on your dream. Listen to your heart, it will guide you to your star (but it might take a 10 year detour along the way LOL).
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

rarchy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Once again thanks so much for all your thoughts and feedback. Although it wasn't really what I wanted to hear, I'm so pleased to have realistic views on my situation from people who know what they're talking about. I will PM some of you to get more info on your situations if thats ok.

I almost feel I probably could have answered my own questions with the research I already had, but it was hard putting it all together, and also I needed to hear it from others!

So now I've just about gotten over the initial disappointment (though I still feel sad!) I am ready to move onto my new plan - getting a job at an MNC and going from there. It's gonna take lots of research, hard work and luck but I will get there!

I have posted a new thread on it as I have so many questions, though I'm waiting for a moderator to approve it, but once it's up if you guys could have a look and give me your thoughts that would be very much appreciated

Thank again,

Rachel
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:40 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bitzi
Hibuy a business on an E2 visa. This visa will allow me to stay indefinitely (only condition is that I still own and run the business).
And a lot more besides .....
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Bitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
And a lot more besides .....
well, if I had listed every contingency I'd be here for days typing every scenario.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:01 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bitzi
well, if I had listed every contingency I'd be here for days typing every scenario.
Your major concern on renewal is number of employees

But if you have no children ..its not so bad ...
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

fluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nice

Originally Posted by rarchy
Hi guys!

I apoligise in advance for the length of my post, but I would really appreciate some feedback on my situation, and you guys seem to know what you're talking about.

I have had a dream to move to NYC since I was young, and it's something I am so determined to do. I have spent time researching this and sometimes feel like it's an impossible dream... however when I tell Americans about this, they always say it's not as hard as I think and with hard work it is possible.

I'm still young at 25, but I feel it's something I have to do now whilst I can, with no ties (ie no kids, no mortgage etc!)

So my plan was to stay in my current job and save £4k-£5k. Then go over early next year, for 3 months (I think thats the maximum I can stay w/o a visa?). Before I go and whilst I'm there contact as many companies, make as many other contacts and apply for as many jobs as I can, telling companies about my situation, and hope that one wants to employ me and help me get a visa.

I've been reading more today, and now I'm really worried about how this would work

1) Would they even let me in past immigration? If I have a 3 month return ticket, but would be staying with friends (initially, then if possible try to find somewhere on short term basis) but won't have a job or real commitments back in the UK to prove I intend to return

2) I now see the complexities of getting a visa - is it likely a company would want to help me, even if I offered to pay for the visa? (I know it costs $5k+) I would apply to hundreds of companies, and given that I would be there, available for an interview, would this help my chances?

3) I also see something about applying for April, to start work in October - would this mean that if I did find a company willing to sponsor me they would have to wait 6 months until I could start work?

A bit about me: I'm 25 yr old female, with a bachelors degree, 2 yrs experience in my field, fluent French - I know these skills aren't really anything that makes me stand out from the crowd, but it's better than nothing! Before you ask, my company is very very small (3 people) so no overseas offices.

So what do you think? Having read through these forums and other resources (including the Pulaski's Ways...) I almost feel that my dream has been shattered, yet at the same time I am not willing to let it go, I am happy to give everything up and take risks, but do you think it's possible? Even the slimmest of chances!

Thanks so much for your replies
Hey there!!

A poster on here that has a similar situation to myself. I am looking into this also, but the work/visa situation is a difficult one. i have a Bachelors and a nurse qualification but it still seems to be a minefield of info?

I fortuantely met someone whilst travelling, but i would suggest going the tourist route for a while and get a feel of the vastness of the country. i am trying now after great advice from those here on the forum to go over to US under the VWP to see my girl and sniff about for work, although i do not hold out much hope! Stranger things have happened, but go for a visit first and if your anything like me you will fall in love with other parts of the country! NYC is a mad house seriously!! But each too their own ;-)

P.S. Your Jose Mourinho picture drew my attention also....you are obviously a Chelsea fan??? thoughts on this years title? (private message me if u want, don't want to take this thread away from the topic, as it is really helping me also!!)

so thanks guys and it is great to see others in the similar situation.....stick close to this suite, it is proving to me that their is a wealth of support and help out there
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I would perhaps consider adjusting your dream to Canada. Easier immigration, and with the ability to speak fluent French, that would be a big selling point there.
I'd be more specific - go to Quebec (probably Montreal), he might like it there. And if not then after 3-4 years with a Canadian passport, the NAFTA option may be there to get a foot in the door in the U.S. market.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
I'd be more specific - go to Quebec (probably Montreal), he might like it there. And if not then after 3-4 years with a Canadian passport, the NAFTA option may be there to get a foot in the door in the U.S. market.
Assuming you mean me, he is a she!

And although it would be easier to get into, Canada isn't where I have dreamed of living. I have heard moving there could make it easier to get into the US, but moving to Canada in the first place would require a lot of effort and I think I'd rather try going via a Multinational in London. But thanks for the advice!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fluxsta
Hey there!!

A poster on here that has a similar situation to myself. I am looking into this also, but the work/visa situation is a difficult one. i have a Bachelors and a nurse qualification but it still seems to be a minefield of info?

I fortuantely met someone whilst travelling, but i would suggest going the tourist route for a while and get a feel of the vastness of the country. i am trying now after great advice from those here on the forum to go over to US under the VWP to see my girl and sniff about for work, although i do not hold out much hope! Stranger things have happened, but go for a visit first and if your anything like me you will fall in love with other parts of the country! NYC is a mad house seriously!! But each too their own ;-)

P.S. Your Jose Mourinho picture drew my attention also....you are obviously a Chelsea fan??? thoughts on this years title? (private message me if u want, don't want to take this thread away from the topic, as it is really helping me also!!)

so thanks guys and it is great to see others in the similar situation.....stick close to this suite, it is proving to me that their is a wealth of support and help out there
Yes I am a Chelsea fan! And even though he's gone I still love Jose :-( I don't think we'll win the league, and probably not the CL either - but then I never was very optimistic!

Anyway, back to the main issue. I don't really have the money to visit other parts first! And NYC is where I've always dreamed of living. Whereabouts are you looking? Have you contacted any companies to see if they're interested in your skills? Isn't it easier for those with nursing qualifications? If not maybe you'll have to think about getting married to your gf!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rarchy
NYC is where I've always dreamed of living.
You keep saying this. If you are not open to any other options, you're going to end up disappointed. Consider this... a year from now, if you don't get what you want, you'll be a year older and no closer to your goal. If though, you open yourself up to other possibilities, then a year from now you'll not only be a year older, but you *will* be closer to your goal. You might not yet be there... but you'll be on your way. Your "all or nothing" attitude is reminiscent of Obi-Wan's line "only a Sith deals in absolutes".

Ian
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

If you are only wanting to move to NYC then you have to accept that it is going to take much longer and be a lot more work. The hardest part of all of this is finding that elusive company that has a team in the UK and in NYC that you have a chance of being able to join.
It occurred to me this morning that most MNCs aren't that likely to have the offices where they do their marketing in NYC since it's too expensive. Most companies only have their 'customer facing' staff in Manhattan and then keep the rest of their ops elsewhere. So you are going to have to narrow down your search even more to include the fact that the dept you will want to join is definitely in NYC.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You keep saying this. If you are not open to any other options, you're going to end up disappointed. Consider this... a year from now, if you don't get what you want, you'll be a year older and no closer to your goal. If though, you open yourself up to other possibilities, then a year from now you'll not only be a year older, but you *will* be closer to your goal. You might not yet be there... but you'll be on your way. Your "all or nothing" attitude is reminiscent of Obi-Wan's line "only a Sith deals in absolutes".

Ian
I'm not quite sure about what you mean. I am open to other options, and other ways of getting there. But the reason I'm saying I don't want to move to Quebec, or Montreal etc, is because I don't particularly want to live there. I'm not just going to move anywhere for the sake of moving abroad.

Currently I'm looking into the different ways of getting there, and as my original plan seems to be too optimistic and unrealistic, most people have suggested either marrying (which won't happen!) or working with an MNC. I know that the latter doesn't at all guarantee getting there, and is going to be very hard, but at least it's a start....

That said, I'm open to listen to other ways, but MNC so far seems the best for me in my present situation.

Last edited by rarchy; Apr 22nd 2008 at 5:14 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Thank's for the tip Chicagojlo. Yes it does make it harder, and I know what you mean by that "ilusive" company. Believe me, I am not expecting this to be an easy feat, or that I'll have guarantees of anything.

But I am also in a position where, as much as I love my job, I will be ready to move on. I was never going to stay at this company permanently, and would like to continue developing my career. So this eventual job change will mean more than just getting a step closer to NYC :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.