Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Is this an impossible dream? I have to do it!

Is this an impossible dream? I have to do it!

Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

rarchy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is this an impossible dream? I have to do it!

Hi guys!

I apoligise in advance for the length of my post, but I would really appreciate some feedback on my situation, and you guys seem to know what you're talking about.

I have had a dream to move to NYC since I was young, and it's something I am so determined to do. I have spent time researching this and sometimes feel like it's an impossible dream... however when I tell Americans about this, they always say it's not as hard as I think and with hard work it is possible.

I'm still young at 25, but I feel it's something I have to do now whilst I can, with no ties (ie no kids, no mortgage etc!)

So my plan was to stay in my current job and save £4k-£5k. Then go over early next year, for 3 months (I think thats the maximum I can stay w/o a visa?). Before I go and whilst I'm there contact as many companies, make as many other contacts and apply for as many jobs as I can, telling companies about my situation, and hope that one wants to employ me and help me get a visa.

I've been reading more today, and now I'm really worried about how this would work

1) Would they even let me in past immigration? If I have a 3 month return ticket, but would be staying with friends (initially, then if possible try to find somewhere on short term basis) but won't have a job or real commitments back in the UK to prove I intend to return

2) I now see the complexities of getting a visa - is it likely a company would want to help me, even if I offered to pay for the visa? (I know it costs $5k+) I would apply to hundreds of companies, and given that I would be there, available for an interview, would this help my chances?

3) I also see something about applying for April, to start work in October - would this mean that if I did find a company willing to sponsor me they would have to wait 6 months until I could start work?

A bit about me: I'm 25 yr old female, with a bachelors degree, 2 yrs experience in my field, fluent French - I know these skills aren't really anything that makes me stand out from the crowd, but it's better than nothing! Before you ask, my company is very very small (3 people) so no overseas offices.

So what do you think? Having read through these forums and other resources (including the Pulaski's Ways...) I almost feel that my dream has been shattered, yet at the same time I am not willing to let it go, I am happy to give everything up and take risks, but do you think it's possible? Even the slimmest of chances!

Thanks so much for your replies
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:20 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this an impossible dream? I have to do it!

Most Americans know absolutely nothing about immigration except the tripe they're fed by the media and lap up if it enforces their prejudices. Brits are no different, either.

1/ It's certainly an issue. But you have identified it and can take steps to minimize the risk.

2/ You'll find most companies will have little idea of the visa hassle. If you can sell yourself to them, they'll say yes but then shy off when they come to see the visa difficulties. You'll have to convince them otherwise. BTW, most of them will put you straight in the trash can when you state you are not currently permitted to work in the US.

3/ That's right. Exception would be some non-profits -- who also do not have the cap. You do not state where your skill set lies.

There's always a chance. You're young and without commitments.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

Marriage to a USC is probably the easiest route to getting over here. Are any of your 'friends' over here anything more than 'friends'?
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:21 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, so you've read the Wiki, which is a lot more than most people bother to do before asking questions here - so you deserve some brownie points!

You are thinking of the H1b.......... not much chance, to be honest. You'd need some pretty special skills to be of sufficient interest to employers for them to go through all the hassle of sponsoring you.

So basically you have to options:

- Find a job with a company that has offices in the US and work yourself up the ladder with a view of getting the specific skills that would make you transferable on an L1.

- Try to fall in love with an unattached USC...
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:29 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Well done for doing a little research and finding Pulaski's Ways.

I'm going to be frank: your current idea to contact hundreds of companies is silly.
Who are these companies? How are you going to contact them? Email? Phone? In-person? Are you going to just walk up to the front desk and say, "Even though I have no legal eligibility to work for you, please give me a job"?
So it's a non-starter.

A lot of people on here will tell you to go the marriage route, but that presupposes you find someone and cultivate the relationship etc.

Perhaps a more realistic option would be the education route. Come over, do a Masters, work your OPT and who knows what will happen? It will be expensive and a gamble but at least you'd be in charge of your decisions.

In the meantime, save-save-save. Education here is very expensive.

And don't get hung up on NYC. First, get in a position whereby you can actually come over. Once you get your established, then you can move where you want. Don't truncate your options based on location.

Bon chance.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:30 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy your 90 day vacation ..... go on the pull ...
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I would perhaps consider adjusting your dream to Canada. Easier immigration, and with the ability to speak fluent French, that would be a big selling point there.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Look for a new job where you are that has offices here and is likely to be able to transfer you. It really is your only way other than maybe study or marriage.
You stand little to no chance with the H1B in your situation, and having had the same dream myself I understand how much you want it, but wanting it doesn't make it so I'm afraid!
As for applying to hundreds of companies, many of us are here and already legal and able to work and still we find that applying to hundreds of companies gets us nowhere. Add in that you are not legally or physically able to take up a job, and you are even worse off.
Having said that, I have had a couple of friends who made it that way. But I do genuinely think they were rare exceptions to the rule and to plan to get here that way is really a bad idea.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

rarchy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks for all the quick replies. It's what I feared you might say :-( I actually feel like crying, this is such a big thing for me!

Unfortunately I do not have anyone that I could consider marrying, or with whom I might fall in love, so we can forget that option!

Octang, in reply to your question about contacting companies. Well really a combination of email and phoning (whilst I'm in UK and over there) Explain my circumstances, see if they have any vacancies, if they would consider sponsoring someones visa if they fitted the criteria of what they were looking for (admitedly this was my plan before I realised that there is a quota, the duration of time it takes, and the cost). I know that most of these wouldn't reply (even if I chase them up). That the majority of those who reply wouldn't be interested, and even if they were probably wouldn't have any current employment possibilities. But I still feel if I gave it a shot, you never know.

Concerning my skills set, well I work for an Event Management company so my skills lie there, unfortunately nothing really helps I fear! As I said I also speak French, if this counts as a skill.

I have though about education, but like you say it costs a bomb. Unfortunately I would not be able to save more than £5k and having looked at some courses you seem to have to prove income of $20k+ to get a student visa.

Finally, for the location, my heart is set on NYC, but I would be happy to do what you say Octang and go anywhere if it got me in. My only thought is how do I get established? I thought if I did overcome the impossibilities and get a visa it would be specifically for what I was doing. I.e, my studies for a set duration, or a job - but if I ended the job so would the visa?
Old Apr 16th 2008, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Some visas have the option to go onto green card application, but this has to be sponsored, usually by a family member, spouse or employer.
If you come on an L1 or H1 then you may be lucky enough to persuade your employer to sponsor you but not everyone is that lucky.
I fear that in your current line of work there are very few opportunities for you. NYC is full of young Americans all dying to get the kinds of jobs you are looking at. And I can't imagine many event management companies are looking for staff that can't start for 6-10 months.
Have you tried to find out which multinationals have their own in-house event management teams? That might be the way in for you if you can get hired at the UK end.
Otherwise - I'd really consider a career change.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

A J-1 visa is a remote possibility if you are flexible about job type. Worth a look perhaps.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/ty...es_1267.html#3
Old Apr 16th 2008, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Lilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to all

I don't really have any specific advice other than what's already been given, but I would say that while it's true lots of Americans want to work in your field, being British is a major advantage. It's actually quite staggering how, especially in NYC, you only have to open your mouth and you're perceived as posh, educated, classy etc...and I can imagine that in event management and PR type work, this would be a more sellable "skill" than actual qualifications. In fact, I've known young British women who were hired to do exactly those type of jobs on the basis of their nationality. You sound very intelligent and charming so I say spin the dice, go over for 90 days and get a feel for what might be possible...or yes, look into getting a J1.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:08 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rarchy
Hi,

Thanks for all the quick replies. It's what I feared you might say :-( I actually feel like crying, this is such a big thing for me!

Unfortunately I do not have anyone that I could consider marrying, or with whom I might fall in love, so we can forget that option!

Octang, in reply to your question about contacting companies. Well really a combination of email and phoning (whilst I'm in UK and over there) Explain my circumstances, see if they have any vacancies, if they would consider sponsoring someones visa if they fitted the criteria of what they were looking for (admitedly this was my plan before I realised that there is a quota, the duration of time it takes, and the cost). I know that most of these wouldn't reply (even if I chase them up). That the majority of those who reply wouldn't be interested, and even if they were probably wouldn't have any current employment possibilities. But I still feel if I gave it a shot, you never know.

Concerning my skills set, well I work for an Event Management company so my skills lie there, unfortunately nothing really helps I fear! As I said I also speak French, if this counts as a skill.

I have though about education, but like you say it costs a bomb. Unfortunately I would not be able to save more than £5k and having looked at some courses you seem to have to prove income of $20k+ to get a student visa.

Finally, for the location, my heart is set on NYC, but I would be happy to do what you say Octang and go anywhere if it got me in. My only thought is how do I get established? I thought if I did overcome the impossibilities and get a visa it would be specifically for what I was doing. I.e, my studies for a set duration, or a job - but if I ended the job so would the visa?
I think you have your head screwed on and you'll find a way. You've got youth on your side. Definitely echo the sentiments of those who say consider a field change, or find work with a multinational, or consider finding a way to study over here.

BTW, consider the advice about Canada well. I went to Vancouver a little while ago and I could live there. You could consider it a bridging step.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Toronto is also lovely. It has a very nice vibe to it and I think you would find a lot of event work there.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Is this an impossible dream? I have to do it!

All very good advice. Visas are hard to get even when you get offered a job. I was offered a position with an investment bank two years ago. Even though I have the skills and experience etc. I wasn't successful in the H1B lottery last year as there are so many valid applications, now it has become a lottery with a one in three chance. Therefore going the L1 route and spending the year in London to be eligible. With the best lawyers in Charlotte rooting for me - they said transfer through a Brit/US office is the best way to go.
Follow your dream but it may take a lot longer than expected.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.