Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Is it illegal for a cop to ask for my greencard??

Is it illegal for a cop to ask for my greencard??

Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:36 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it illegal for a cop to ask for my greencard??

I watched both videos in their entirety and found them quite interesting. Thank you for posting the links.

I'd like to point out that the issue addressed in the video may not be relevant to the bulk of encounters with the people who enforce immigration laws. There is a profound difference between criminal and administrative law.

For example, if someone is seeking entry at a border crossing, they are almost always dealing with administrative law. Even if an arriving alien opts to remain silent and refused to sign anything, they can still be ordered removed on the spot or detained to appear before an immigration judge. That could carry a bar of 5 years to forever.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
I err on the side of caution in all my dealings with people who believe they are in a position of authority (you should ask me about my interactions with the TSA if you want an education in dealing with tin badge “officers”).

- Tim
Not forgetting the FAA also. TSA = Thousands Standing Around As Mr. F puts it... Q: "do you know the time?" A: "yes"
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

Family_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SDDep

If you arent a criminal and have nothing to hide why wouldnt you cooperate?
Essentially, because you are too stupid to understand the harm you can unintentionally cause yourself.

These two videos were a pretty good use of 40 minutes of my life and for me were very insightful. Also entertaining:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQ...eature=related

Still think it is OK to talk to a cop?

- Tim
I just posted the same link in an unrelated thread a few days ago. I like you already
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Family_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by crg
I watched both videos in their entirety and found them quite interesting. Thank you for posting the links.

I'd like to point out that the issue addressed in the video may not be relevant to the bulk of encounters with the people who enforce immigration laws. There is a profound difference between criminal and administrative law.

For example, if someone is seeking entry at a border crossing, they are almost always dealing with administrative law. Even if an arriving alien opts to remain silent and refused to sign anything, they can still be ordered removed on the spot or detained to appear before an immigration judge. That could carry a bar of 5 years to forever.
That kinda depends upon the status of the person being questioned, Nothing is ever as simple as it seems. not even a politican kissing babies
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:16 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Did you actually bother to watch the videos or just shoot from the hip? I was just pointing out the dangers of self incrimination by referencing two professionals who are a lot more experienced than either you or me (or me at least) in the implications in talking to the police. I do not have anything to hide, I also don't have to prove anything.

This is almost a philosophical discussion - on one side, you’ve got the type of person who thinks ”I've got nothing to hide so I'll just provide every bit of information that they (whoever 'they' are) are asking me”. On the other hand, you have the person who thinks “I do not have to provide this information and I do not know whether you are authorized to ask me that information, therefore I will exercise my rights to not say anything or answer in the minimum in order to satisfy the questioner.”

I err on the side of caution in all my dealings with people who believe they are in a position of authority (you should ask me about my interactions with the TSA if you want an education in dealing with tin badge “officers”).

- Tim
I did watch them, and have watched similar videos before...and you are right..it is philosophical..and in reality it doesnt work quite the way the law professors like to think it does...

I have my own opinion on the TSA and wouldnt stretch "officers" to apply to them...

There are dangers to self incrimination and I agree with that...I just also agree with cooperation..within reason of course...
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:51 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDDep
I did watch them, and have watched similar videos before...and you are right..it is philosophical..and in reality it doesnt work quite the way the law professors like to think it does...

I have my own opinion on the TSA and wouldnt stretch "officers" to apply to them...

There are dangers to self incrimination and I agree with that...I just also agree with cooperation..within reason of course...
It's actually a very good tactic used successfully for years by, among others, the IRA. You just need a bit of self control.