Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

If it's 3 A.M... it must be Immigration time

If it's 3 A.M... it must be Immigration time

Old Jun 17th 2011, 5:09 am
Just Joined

ssht is just really nicessht is just really nicessht is just really nicessht is just really nicessht is just really nicessht is just really nicessht is just really nicessht is just really nice
Default If it's 3 A.M... it must be Immigration time

Any day now we are hoping to receive a notice of approval on our I-130. What's the problem? My husband will be moving on July 1st to his parents in the UK. I am going ahead to our home in the U.S. as we cannot afford to keep two homes for our family and I am due to start work almost immediately after arrival.

Please humour me and excuse my paranoia.

Can anyone tell me the following:

1. If a change of address is needed and is sent to London for a pending petition, in your experience on the forum, are these changes usually filed correctly and can it slow a petition down?

2. Just in case, can the notices from the London embassy unit be forwarded by Royal Mail or are they marked do not forward? My husband will put in a change of address with Royal Mail, but will it help?

3. Will the letter of approval be addressed to my husband? I have given our USA address on the application where it asks where you will reside in the USA. Will they need to contact me? Will they send it to the new or old address, I am not sure how they would make the assumption of my location, etc. unless it was for the affidavit of support. (see what I mean about paranoid? It is amazing what the mind can do at 3 AM when you suddenly wake up in a state of sheer panic. lol

4. Last but not least. I have read on the forum where they believe the Embassy may read posts. Do you think the folks over there realize how truly scary this process is for families who just want to do it all right and be together? ( especially after 10 years of married life in the UK )

Okay, that's all. Any help, comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. A donation will be made to the Mental Health Society in the name of USA Immigration.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If it's 3 A.M... it must be Immigration time

Originally Posted by ssht
4. Last but not least. I have read on the forum where they believe the Embassy may read posts. Do you think the folks over there realize how truly scary this process is for families who just want to do it all right and be together? ( especially after 10 years of married life in the UK )
The real question is whether they can match semi-anonymous user IDs with applications. But I'm not that paranoid.

Okay, that's all. Any help, comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. A donation will be made to the Mental Health Society in the name of USA Immigration.
I'd join you but I gave all my money to Homeland security.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ssht
1. If a change of address is needed and is sent to London for a pending petition, in your experience on the forum, are these changes usually filed correctly and can it slow a petition down?

2. Just in case, can the notices from the London embassy unit be forwarded by Royal Mail or are they marked do not forward? My husband will put in a change of address with Royal Mail, but will it help?

3. Will the letter of approval be addressed to my husband? I have given our USA address on the application where it asks where you will reside in the USA. Will they need to contact me? Will they send it to the new or old address, I am not sure how they would make the assumption of my location, etc. unless it was for the affidavit of support. (see what I mean about paranoid? It is amazing what the mind can do at 3 AM when you suddenly wake up in a state of sheer panic. lol

1- IF you email, be sure to contact USCIS London, not the visa unit or other places. Notify them of the new UK address. Also put in the RM change of address. Cross your fingers and then don't rely ONLY on mailed notification. Stay on top of a more-or-less expected approval date.
It doesn't slow anything down.

2- Who knows. Do it anyway.

3- There are two notices coming. One, that USCIS has approved the petition. You can't do anything with that information. Second, the notice from the IVU that they have your case (pls refer to the DCF wiki). That LND case number is the one your beneficiary should be named on.. it is his case from that point forward. They don't' need to contact you, and you're being paranoid.

4- Does it matter? Does the DMV worker 'care' how important it is for you to get your DL so you can drive to your new job?

Absent any noticeable and obvious ineligibility that you should know about by now, this isn't a test of your love or your family or your marriage or anything personal about you two at all. If you documentarily meet the requirements, and don't have any ineligiblities it's a very dry, straight forward thing.
That is why you usually see "underwhelmed" in interview reports.
He'll go in, turn in his documents, appear in person, get stamped. That is really all there is to it, which is why it's important to get the paperwork right.

Relax, it's mostly a matter of time.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 5:46 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

With your change of address problem, I was given an email address to inform the London embassy when I moved house. I even received an email back from a real person confirming they had updated their records (also when I was waiting for my appointment letter I sent an email chasing, and they emailed me back with a PDF of my letter!).

Email is: [email protected]

Hopefully it might be useful?
Old Jun 17th 2011, 6:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
With your change of address problem, I was given an email address to inform the London embassy when I moved house. I even received an email back from a real person confirming they had updated their records (also when I was waiting for my appointment letter I sent an email chasing, and they emailed me back with a PDF of my letter!).

Email is: [email protected]

Hopefully it might be useful?
This was after your petition approval though, correct?
Old Jun 17th 2011, 6:12 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
This was after your petition approval though, correct?
Yes. I guess before the embassy has your case this wouldn't be much use...
Old Jun 17th 2011, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
Yes. I guess before the embassy has your case this wouldn't be much use...
Yeah, different gov't department altogether, & different people.
There is an email address for USCIS in London though. Somewhere.