Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

I think I got a bit of a bargain today...

I think I got a bit of a bargain today...

Old Jun 15th 2009, 7:28 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think I got a bit of a bargain today...

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Got this last week trying to get a value, its a Garrard I have called and emailed them in the UK nothing

I love Garage sales.
Not now you don't;

http://cgi.ebay.com/COLLECTABLE-HMV-...3A1%7C294%3A50

$45 USD. I'd still like to see you on Antiques Roadshow with it
Old Jun 15th 2009, 7:54 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Not now you don't;

http://cgi.ebay.com/COLLECTABLE-HMV-...3A1%7C294%3A50

$45 USD. I'd still like to see you on Antiques Roadshow with it
The ebay one may be a repro. It's got no patina, a different shaped handle, a white metal rather than yellow metal diaphragm case and the engraving on the speed adjustment looks shallower and less well defined.

Of course, that may all mean nothing. I don't know the first thing about old gramophones.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 7:58 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
The ebay one may be a repro. It's got no patina, a different shaped handle, a white metal rather than yellow metal diaphragm case and the engraving on the speed adjustment looks shallower and less well defined.

Of course, that may all mean nothing. I don't know the first thing about old gramophones.
Listen to you, looks the same to me. We'll just have to wait to see her on Antiques Roadshow with her $40 gramophone then
Where's Paddington Green when you need him?!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 8:08 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

And the expert here says...........
http://www.gramophones.info/graminformation.html
Old Jun 15th 2009, 8:30 pm
Banned

This one simultaneously makes me laugh and feel sorry for the poor old guy

Old Jun 15th 2009, 8:36 pm

This one simultaneously makes me laugh and feel sorry for the poor old guy

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Noqcu3O7ojg
Oh dear.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:24 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I just had to know so went to the old chaps house and asked him, if he knew much about it, he said that it came over to the US with his late mother from the UK and was a wedding present, but he is not sure of the year, he said that it always sat in the house and they had used it over the years at family gatherings, but as he was moving he had no room for it.

We will see either way its really nice.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:25 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Listen to you, looks the same to me. We'll just have to wait to see her on Antiques Roadshow with her $40 gramophone then
Where's Paddington Green when you need him?!
So pleased you are happy for me
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I agree... still a nice thing to have ...
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
I agree... still a nice thing to have ...
Well thank you.

Now then I have checked it out as well to the ebay pic and its way different the question is which is the repo

The logo on the ebay is longer and way lighter it looks newer.

The words over spill the width of the logo, mine does not.

The 4 outta pillers are a different shape.

Handle is different.

And the wood does not look the same.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:47 pm
Banned

So pleased you are happy for me
I'm sorry I forgot there's no room for banter and micky taking on BE anymore.
I'm sure there'll be lot's of posters along to support your sensitive fragile ego with insightful, deep and meaningful 'Wow beautiful' 'Looks great' etc. etc comments

Just for the record. I'd love it fake or not for playing my old LP's on. It would go well with my Tamara Lempicka paintings and art deco lamp.

Still would love to take the ever loving piss out of you on Antiques Roadshow though.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:58 pm

I'm sorry I forgot there's no room for banter and micky taking on BE anymore.
I'm sure there'll be lot's of posters along to support your sensitive fragile ego with insightful, deep and meaningful 'Wow beautiful' 'Looks great' etc. etc comments

Just for the record. I'd love it fake or not for playing my old LP's on. It would go well with my Tamara Lempicka paintings and art deco lamp.

Still would love to take the ever loving piss out of you on Antiques Roadshow though.
Well if I make it there, I will make sure I give you a special wave.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 11:01 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Well if I make it there, I will make sure I give you a special wave.
Ah yes, "a special wave"

Old Jun 15th 2009, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000
See? Record players just lead to acrimony and unpleasantness. Now if only we'd stuck to something non-controversial... like guns.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 11:06 pm

Oh I just had to know so went to the old chaps house and asked him, if he knew much about it, he said that it came over to the US with his late mother from the UK and was a wedding present, but he is not sure of the year, he said that it always sat in the house and they had used it over the years at family gatherings, but as he was moving he had no room for it.

My money's on real, unless his late mum knew somebody with a time machine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.