Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

I think I got a bit of a bargain today...

I think I got a bit of a bargain today...

Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:44 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I think I got a bit of a bargain today...

It appears that every year, around this time, my in-laws' street holds a massive, street wide garage sale. As it happened, we had quite a bit of crap to get rid of; a combination of stuff that somehow got packed and shipped, because we didn't get round to weeding it out, and stuff that we would have needed, if we hadn't bought replacements over here while we were waiting for it to turn up.

So we boxed all up, toddled over there and set up a table. Made about $90.

Anyway, while we were chatting with one of their friends, she happened to mention that her husband had a .303 he was looking to get rid of. It turned out to be a Lee Enfield No.1 Mark III, made at the Ishapore works in 1942 and later retrofitted with a Monte Carlo stock, Weaver rail and telescopic sights.

Price to me, with a dozen rounds: $65.
Attached Thumbnails I think I got a bit of a bargain today...-303-1.jpg   I think I got a bit of a bargain today...-303-2.jpg  
Old Jun 14th 2009, 4:26 am
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I think I got a bit of a bargain today...

Don't harm any Americans with that thing chartreuse

Do you shoot ?
Old Jun 14th 2009, 8:59 am
Wishful thinking...

radion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chartreuse
It appears that every year, around this time, my in-laws' street holds a massive, street wide garage sale. As it happened, we had quite a bit of crap to get rid of; a combination of stuff that somehow got packed and shipped, because we didn't get round to weeding it out, and stuff that we would have needed, if we hadn't bought replacements over here while we were waiting for it to turn up.

So we boxed all up, toddled over there and set up a table. Made about $90.

Anyway, while we were chatting with one of their friends, she happened to mention that her husband had a .303 he was looking to get rid of. It turned out to be a Lee Enfield No.1 Mark III, made at the Ishapore works in 1942 and later retrofitted with a Monte Carlo stock, Weaver rail and telescopic sights.

Its a real shame it was retrofitted, in original condition it would have fetched easy $2500 in any condition, doing a google on it you will see just what you are left with, what you have left is the trigger assm. branding clip and barrel, but looking at the barrel, that may have been changed also.

But anyways, a very good buy and to own a .303, thats what I love about car boot/garage sales, you never know what you will find

Last edited by radion; Jun 14th 2009 at 9:01 am.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by YoungSteve17
Don't harm any Americans with that thing chartreuse

Do you shoot ?
I don't intend to harm anybody, Steve, American or otherwise.

I've been known to plink, but I don't lay claim to any great prowess. Perhaps I'll improve, living over here.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by radion
Its a real shame it was retrofitted, in original condition it would have fetched easy $2500 in any condition, doing a google on it you will see just what you are left with, what you have left is the trigger assm. branding clip and barrel, but looking at the barrel, that may have been changed also.

But anyways, a very good buy and to own a .303, thats what I love about car boot/garage sales, you never know what you will find
Nah, a few hundred at best, I reckon. There's an unissued, never fired, No. 4 Mk I from the Irish batch going for $750 round our way. Drool.

It's the original barrel. The serial #s on the barrel, receiver and bolt all match. From what I've been able to find out, it wasn't uncommon for these rifles to be "sporterized", as it's known.

I agree that an un-modified one would be a nicer collectors piece, but (assuming this checks out after cleaning and test firing) this format is probably going to be of more practical use for plinking / hunting. Now I need to check whether TX allows a 10 round magazine, or whether I'll need to find a cut-down 5 round version.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:46 pm
Wishful thinking...

radion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to behold

By all accounts still a damn good buy, you go ...
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

$65???? Fabulous find!

The ammo can be a bit hard to track down in the US, though. Graf has some Wolf Gold in stock right now.

Edited to add: No mag restrictions in TX that I know of. CA, NY, NJ, CT, and a couple of others are picky.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Bill_S
$65???? Fabulous find!

The ammo can be a bit hard to track down in the US, though. Graf has some Wolf Gold in stock right now.

Edited to add: No mag restrictions in TX that I know of. CA, NY, NJ, CT, and a couple of others are picky.
Thanks! I didn't know about Graf, but once you allow for shipping, they turn out to be cheaper than both J&G and Cheaper Than Dirt.

There's a bunch of mil surp going around but (a) it's corrosive and (b) the scope means I can't use a stripper clip. That said...

http://www.ammogarand.com/303-britis...abs-produ.html
Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea what this thread is about.. it doesn't even sound like english. Haha.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! I didn't know about Graf, but once you allow for shipping, they turn out to be cheaper than both J&G and Cheaper Than Dirt.

There's a bunch of mil surp going around but (a) it's corrosive and (b) the scope means I can't use a stripper clip. That said...

http://www.ammogarand.com/303-britis...abs-produ.html
Wow... I wonder if it still works after 65 years... might be worth $45 to find out
Definitely would be corrosive!
It looks like Wideners has been know to get it in, but I don't know how often. One of these days I intend to track down a Long Branch version (I grew up in Toronto). An Inglis Hi-Power would be a nice sidearm to go along with it.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:47 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Got this last week trying to get a value, its a Garrard I have called and emailed them in the UK nothing

I love Garage sales.
Attached Thumbnails I think I got a bit of a bargain today...-p6072124.jpg   I think I got a bit of a bargain today...-p6072128.jpg  

Last edited by Poppy girl; Jun 15th 2009 at 3:27 am.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Wow... I wonder if it still works after 65 years... might be worth $45 to find out
Definitely would be corrosive!
It looks like Wideners has been know to get it in, but I don't know how often. One of these days I intend to track down a Long Branch version (I grew up in Toronto). An Inglis Hi-Power would be a nice sidearm to go along with it.
I just can't help worrying that if tracer went wrong, it could go spectacularly wrong....

There's actually quite a lot of US made 303 British available, Hornady, Winchester, Federal, Remington. Then there's Wolf, as you say, or S&B out of East Europe.

As for Long Branch, how about this? It's a No. 4 and a bit pricey, but looks sweet... http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=131408032
Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Got this last week trying to get a value, its a Garrad I have called and emailed them in the UK nothing

I love Garage sales.
Afraid I can't be much help on a Garrad. Now if it was a Garand...
Old Jun 15th 2009, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Got this last week trying to get a value, its a Garrard I have called and emailed them in the UK nothing

I love Garage sales.
Its not a Garrard but the Gramaphone Company .

http://www.economicexpert.com/a/HMV.htm

I think it was made in the 1920s/1930s. Do you have the model number? How much did you pay for it? Its hard to believe that someone would sell that in a garage sale.

It is similar to the RCA Victor (majority shareholder of the Gramaphone Company) model pictured here. Both companies used the same logo.

Last edited by Michael; Jun 15th 2009 at 9:53 am.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Michael
Is that your house?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.