I miss the pub....

Old Feb 6th 2012, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice
Default Re: I miss the pub....

Originally Posted by Ja5on
I came from a pretty small town and I could walk to about 15 pubs from my house, almost all of them I was bound to bump into someone that I knew.....Now I have one "bar" that is 2 blocks from where I live (Which I do know quite a few of the regulars)......It's just not the same though! People in the US go sit at tables with the friends that they are out with and don't really talk to anyone else, I've drunkenly introduced myself to people a few times and sat around drinking with them, which some times goes down well and sometimes not so well.

Am I the only one that misses this?

On a side note my wife has also told me that, "Married men don't go out drinking alone while their wives are working overnight"..........I've explained to her that it's normal for me but she still isn't chuffed when I actually do it!
When I first got here back in 2001 I missed it as well. Moving from West London to one of the last remaining dry towns in NJ was a but of a culture shock. That said I adapted, and moved on.

I still enjoy going to a bar, but in the US at least the idea of a pub scene is lost on me. I love spending the hour travelling into New York on a morning to watch a Sunderland game and enjoy the bar scene there but other than that I would much rather hang out in my man cave with a few mates and do my drinking that way if at all.

Oh and I am not going to touch the married men comment, Americans see things so much differently to Brits that it is unreal. Good Luck finding what makes you happy though.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:27 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the pub too... We used to always go after work on a Friday. I worked in central London but lived outside in Berkshire so would just stumble onto a train at some point and not have to worry about driving. Oddly enough I also really miss the walk home after going to the pub for a few pints.

I hardly drink here anymore. Nowhere good close by, won't drink drive and the taxi's in Houston all suck (they never know where they're going).
I do go to a place here called The Richmond Arms ocassionally though to watch the footy at the weekends - I'm not a morning drinker but I like the pub atmosphere and get to have a semi-British breakfast too.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bink
I miss the pub too... We used to always go after work on a Friday. I worked in central London but lived outside in Berkshire so would just stumble onto a train at some point and not have to worry about driving. Oddly enough I also really miss the walk home after going to the pub for a few pints.

I hardly drink here anymore. Nowhere good close by, won't drink drive and the taxi's in Houston all suck (they never know where they're going).
I do go to a place here called The Richmond Arms ocassionally though to watch the footy at the weekends - I'm not a morning drinker but I like the pub atmosphere and get to have a semi-British breakfast too.
I only live 2 miles from town and have walked home a few times but my wife gets angry because she thinks something might happen. Now I have to take taxis which sucks
Old Feb 19th 2012, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

We live in Downtown Minneapolis and are quite spoilt for good pubs and bars that we can walk to. Ironically the nearest place is 'Brits', which we always bypass for the Irish pub 2 blocks further.
There are a few places where they get worried if they haven't seen us for a while but no, it's not like the UK where you met all your neighbours in the pub at the end of the road.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Lord_GG_Byron will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Englishman43
No US pubs are shite but that's fine because most Americans can only drink about 2 pints of Coors light before they have to go home thinking they had a big night out.
That's a stereotype of people from the northern part of the US. Down South it takes a lot of alcohol to make us feel anything.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Went to Portsmouth (the one in New Hampshire) yesterday and - getting tired of sightseeing as it was freezing out - went into the Portsmouth brewing company. It was a blast as it was full of dads getting tanked as their wives and kids went out shopping. Got lots of tips from them on what beers to try and ended up getting fairly plastered. So I have to say that when the Americans do do proper pubs and not crappy bars serving bud light or fake Irish pubs serving stale Guinness they do them extremely well.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lord_GG_Byron
That's a stereotype of people from the northern part of the US. Down South it takes a lot of alcohol to make us feel anything.
The alcohol does have to compete with the methamphet and oxycodone though. Or is that another stereotype?
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Lord_GG_Byron will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fromthemanorborn
The alcohol does have to compete with the methamphet and oxycodone though. Or is that another stereotype?
That's up in the mountains, were you get redneck yankees. Usually takes half a bottle of Jack to get me to feel anything.