I miss the pub....

Old Jan 29th 2012, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light
Default I miss the pub....

I came from a pretty small town and I could walk to about 15 pubs from my house, almost all of them I was bound to bump into someone that I knew.....Now I have one "bar" that is 2 blocks from where I live (Which I do know quite a few of the regulars)......It's just not the same though! People in the US go sit at tables with the friends that they are out with and don't really talk to anyone else, I've drunkenly introduced myself to people a few times and sat around drinking with them, which some times goes down well and sometimes not so well.

Am I the only one that misses this?

On a side note my wife has also told me that, "Married men don't go out drinking alone while their wives are working overnight"..........I've explained to her that it's normal for me but she still isn't chuffed when I actually do it!
Old Jan 29th 2012, 3:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I miss the pub....

I used to live in the middle of 5 pubs too...only two of them are still open now

Anyway, down here, if you live in Boston, you'd do alright, but in the burbs...not so well.

Last town we lived in, there was one blue rinse kind of shitty pub type place in town, but it was so souless and shit that I couldn't be asked to walk into town for it and all the other pubs you'd have to drive to the edge of town to get to and who wants to go to the effort just for a pint.

Current town, there's a couple of pubs, just about in walking distance, the decent pub is rather good actually, but there isn't much of a bar space and too stink to be drinking much anyway as everyone there seems to just hang out with their friends, people don't do the pub on their own for a swift pint kind of thing down this way.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Yep after close to 19 years here I don't miss much but that is one thing I do miss. Someone mentioned Bucks on the UK forum and it reminded me of the village pub. We are 12 miles from town so it's a long walk home and there are no taxis.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Yep after close to 19 years here I don't miss much but that is one thing I do miss. Someone mentioned Bucks on the UK forum and it reminded me of the village pub. We are 12 miles from town so it's a long walk home and there are no taxis.
Wow, I feel bad bitching now. I live 2 miles from town and a taxi is like $7.....I guess I miss being able to walk into a bar on my own and just get chatting to people. I do it here now and again but I'm sure that people think I'm weird.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:50 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

The town I live in doesn't have any kind of pub or bar. There are some corkers in my area, but as I live out in the sticks I've amended my definition of the word 'area' to anywhere that's within a 30-minute drive from my house....

The last place I lived in the UK was Ealing - and in addition to some fantastic neighbourhood boozers within walking distance from my gaff I was, with an Oyster card in my pocket, within trundling distance of all that London had to offer. I had lots of friends scattered around London so we'd meet up and do pub crawls often.

Nowadays I compress my enjoyment into just a few days, as whenever I go back on a business trip it usually spans the weekend, which means two back-to-back all dayers while catching up with good mates over even better beer! Oddly - and possibly conversely to what's happening in the rest of the country - the number of pubs in London with great beer selections is on the up and up, so I always have somewhere new to try when I'm back over.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

I'm completely with you on this one. That whole pub culture/atmosphere is one of the very few things I actually miss from home. I had a choice of 9 watering holes within easy walking distance of my house back home of which I used 4 on a regular basis. I knew I could walk in any of those and know someone to chat with or get a game of cards, dominoes or darts.
Here, my nearest bar as opposed to restaurant with a bar is about 3 miles away. It's not bad and I have made myself something of a regular (barstaff know my name/ my usual drink gets poured without me asking) and I do find that if you get a seat at the bar people will generally strike up a conversation with you. (Whether you want to with some of them is another matter.)
My wife doesn't find it unusual for me to want to go there on my own and will even drop me off and pick me back up.
What I really miss is that banter of a good community pub where the room is full of not necessarily close friends but aquaintances you know from using the same establishments.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

What boggles my mind is that often due to the suburban nature if life in the US people think nothing of driving out to the bar in a strip mall then driving home. The drink driving culture here is pretty strong and hasn't been reduced as much as it has in the UK
Old Jan 29th 2012, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
What boggles my mind is that often due to the suburban nature if life in the US people think nothing of driving out to the bar in a strip mall then driving home. The drink driving culture here is pretty strong and hasn't been reduced as much as it has in the UK
Yeah my friends will drink like 5 beers then stop for an hour and say they are fine to drive home, then think I'm the weird one for getting a taxi after drinking 3!
Old Jan 29th 2012, 5:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Yes, little weird. The old town I lived in, had to have 100 seats to get a liquor license to sell booze, so there weren't any real pubs except one which had a restaurant partitioned to one side but still the same premises.

Everywhere else though would be on the edge of town, either on the other side of the town line to get out of this requirement, or just because the rents were much less.

The town doesn't seem to worried about drink drivers because it's either someone elses problem or the revenue from drink driving fines is a good little bonus.

The main reason was not wanting drunk people walking around the streets in town, which apparently was the problem in the past which was why they got rid of the pubs.

So the town centre is a ghost town by around 5pm when the last shops close.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 6:42 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I have 3 within walking distance I say Pub 2 are golf lounges with great bars the other is a Irish Pub....but I find this weather I cannot be arsed by the time I get home to go out again

Last edited by Poppy girl; Jan 29th 2012 at 6:56 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ja5on
Am I the only one that misses this?
No US pubs are shite but that's fine because most Americans can only drink about 2 pints of Coors light before they have to go home thinking they had a big night out.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 7:49 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
No US pubs are shite but that's fine because most Americans can only drink about 2 pints of Coors light before they have to go home thinking they had a big night out.
You're obviously drinking in the wrong places - although that stereotype would apply to many.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tonrob
You're obviously drinking in the wrong places - although that stereotype would apply to many.
Well I am in SoCal so......
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:27 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I used to live in the middle of 5 pubs too...only two of them are still open now
Clearly business has suffered since you left town...
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:42 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Well I am in SoCal so......
I honestly think that patchy coverage is the problem - wherever in the States you are. San Diego and surrounds is beer central - so many fantastic beers being brewed and countless who enjoy them (and wouldn't be seen dead drinking Coors). That said if there ain't a good place to drink in your town (and there isn't in mine) then it's all a bit of an effort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.