Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How safe is your neighbourhood,location!

How safe is your neighbourhood,location!

Old Jan 17th 2010, 4:25 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How safe is your neighbourhood,location!

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
I took a bus from NJ to Philly through Camden. The bus stopped a lot of times in Camden and numerous sketchiest mofo's got on and off, so I just sat at the back ignoring them (but also keeping an eye for any hostile approaches). Nothing happened though my heart rate increased considerably throughout the whole journey.
I had a fill in job assembling furniture for Staples and Office Depot, we lived in Cherry Hill at the time and they offered me some stores in Camden. I graciously declined. I ended up with North Philly instead.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 4:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
The reason I ask this question is because yesterday, whilst chatting on my cell phone, I missed the turn to SF and ended up in the middle of Oakland ...now there is not much that scares me but OMFG!! I drove for 11miles through the streets and it was full of black folk and Mexicans, now I am not racist but I did not see 1 white face NOT one and had they of all looked pleasant my opinion may of been different but it was flippen scary..the truck went into lock all doors and the baseball hat went on, while I prayed that no one saw a blonde chic and no one rear ended me or I them, as there was no way in hell I was getting out of that truck.........I have seen it on the TV show and now I have lived it the roughest, dirty, scary hole ever, I have been to some poor countrys and seen some things but that was expected, what I saw and felt yesterday was not.

So have you ever been scared in a difficult situation, or is the neighbourhood rough where you are?

Before anyone starts I have many Black and Espanic friends it's just a comment on my observations yesterday
16 years ago we accidently found ourselves in Cabrini Green, Chicago...now that was bloody scary...can't imagine anywhere could be worse.

There's some scary places in NJ...Newark for one and Trenton has held the title of Most Dangerous City in the US.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

Okachickima is an unknown quantity at this point

The reason I ask this question is because yesterday, whilst chatting on my cell phone, I missed the turn to SF and ended up in the middle of Oakland ...now there is not much that scares me but OMFG!! I drove for 11miles through the streets and it was full of black folk and Mexicans, now I am not racist but I did not see 1 white face NOT one and had they of all looked pleasant my opinion may of been different but it was flippen scary..the truck went into lock all doors and the baseball hat went on, while I prayed that no one saw a blonde chic and no one rear ended me or I them, as there was no way in hell I was getting out of that truck.........I have seen it on the TV show and now I have lived it the roughest, dirty, scary hole ever, I have been to some poor countrys and seen some things but that was expected, what I saw and felt yesterday was not.

So have you ever been scared in a difficult situation, or is the neighbourhood rough where you are?

Before anyone starts I have many Black and Espanic friends it's just a comment on my observations yesterday
You are not racist and there is not a lot that scares you, yet you are absolutely horrified at simply driving through a non-white community?
Old Jan 17th 2010, 4:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Okachickima
You are not racist and there is not a lot that scares you, yet you are absolutely horrified at simply driving through a non-white community?
Come off it...I think most of us know what sort of area she's talking about.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 4:52 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
16 years ago we accidently found ourselves in Cabrini Green, Chicago...now that was bloody scary...can't imagine anywhere could be worse.
I've never exclaimed "OMG" so quickly after reading something.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 4:57 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's mostly all gone now hasn't it? Gentrified?
Old Jan 17th 2010, 4:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
I've never exclaimed "OMG" so quickly after reading something.

My husband's company wanted us to move to Chicago so we were on a reccie trip. Everyone told us not to go near Cabrini Green...even the emergency services wouldn't go there.

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
It's mostly all gone now hasn't it? Gentrified?
Thankfully...I think you're right.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 5:03 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: How safe is your neighbourhood,location!

I once saw a horror movie called "The Candyman" starring Virginia Madsen....it was set in the Cabrini Green housing project in Chicago and I've never seen such a scary-looking place to live in my life, and it wasn't just because it was a horror film!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candyman_(film)

Camden, New Jersey (it's in the south west of NJ, just across the river from Philadelphia) has the highest crime rate in the USA and only two-thirds of school students graduate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camden,_New_Jersey
Old Jan 17th 2010, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Okachickima
You don't have to be a racist to feel like that, I have a black neighbor friend who won't drive through East St Louis.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom60
Oakland is one of the worst locations in the US. It's bad even by California standards. It's the kind of place where it's safer to run red lights and risk a ticket than to stop.
Some gross generalizations going on in this thread.... yes, parts of Oakland are extremely unsafe (West Oakland, anywhere along International Blvd for example). But a lot of the city is fine with no higher a crime rate than other cities of a similar size.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Some gross generalizations going on in this thread.... yes, parts of Oakland are extremely unsafe (West Oakland, anywhere along International Blvd for example). But a lot of the city is fine with no higher a crime rate than other cities of a similar size.
True, but Camden NJ is still shite.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 5:15 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

I just had a read through the info at that link I gave Poppy girl.

Seems most of my guns would be illegal in CA, either because they're "assault weapons" (a bullshit term if ever I heard one - they're rifles, FFS), because they have mags that hold more than 10 rounds, or because they're handguns that are not on CA's "approved list" (eg my Bersa 9mm - the only Bersas on the list are their .380s)

So, there's an upside to living in TX.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

now there is not much that scares me but OMFG!! I drove for 11miles through the streets and it was full of black folk I have seen it on the TV show and now I have lived it the roughest, dirty, scary hole ever, I have been to some poor countrys and seen some things but that was expected, what I saw and felt yesterday was not.

So have you ever been scared in a difficult situation,
Your not alone Pops, I'm scared shitless of getting lost over here, even more so in parts of Ohio and yes I've lived in other States.
I dont mind going to those sort of areas in daylight just as long as the OH is with me.
And heres me brought up in London and certainly have not lead a sheltered life, blimey I even moved over here from Luton
Old Jan 17th 2010, 5:20 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: How safe is your neighbourhood,location!

I'm trying to remember someone who posted here that someone was murdered in his street - maybe this was 2 or 3 years ago....I'm pretty sure it was in Baltimore.

I can't remember who the poster was on this board, but I seem to remember that after a series of violent crimes in his neighbourhood, the murder was the last straw and he moved out.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I'm trying to remember someone who posted here that someone was murdered in his street - maybe this was 2 or 3 years ago....I'm pretty sure it was in Baltimore.

I can't remember who the poster was on this board, but I seem to remember that after a series of violent crimes in his neighbourhood, the murder was the last straw and he moved out.
Someone was murdered here in my little town (Mascoutah,IL) last year, something to do with drugs. I have never felt unsafe driving here at night or popping to our local grocery store at 9pm for ciggies etc, but it is starting to get worse around here. The local park is starting to get scarey at night because there are more gangs hanging out there, I hear it's a great place to buy drugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.