Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How Isolated is everyone right now?

How Isolated is everyone right now?

Old Apr 2nd 2020, 12:17 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Isolated is everyone right now?

What is a bar steward?
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk
She had a video call (not that it makes much of a difference!), but correct, no tests at all....also remotely prescribed an asthma inhaler (she had some difficulty breathing) and Tylenol.
Of course no definitive proof she actually has the virus...not even sure if cases like these are counted as no actual tests....if so, I cannot imagine how many MORE cases than the official count exist...
Interesting. If people like your friend are NOT counted in the 'official figures', then yes, I can imagine we are way under-counting at the moment.

I'm a IT guy (retired) but I spent time today setting up a teleconference service for a doctor's office I'm associated with. We did some test 'calls' today and tomorrow they plan to start using it with patients.

With all this 'stay at home' stuff, and reliance on video conferencing, I can foresee a huge bottleneck in these video services - many of which are free.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
What is a bar steward?
Polite form of Bastard ...
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Interesting. If people like your friend are NOT counted in the 'official figures', then yes, I can imagine we are way under-counting at the moment.
What is also scary is that a childhood friend of mine works in one of the hospitals in NYC....he says with the patients that have pre-existing conditions ie heart issues and die from the coronavirus if they possibly can, they are putting the cause of death as one of these conditions rather than the virus....of course, I have no proof this is actually what is happening or if he's just repeating hearsay etc....
Again, not sure what the hospital stands to gain from misreporting the numbers....
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 12:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have numerous conditions and you die why would you focus on one? It seems you only get a mention in the press if that is the only condition they could trace which suggests the majority of deaths involved multiple conditions, the interesting number would be how many people have died over an above the number that could otherwise have been expected.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Boiler
If you have numerous conditions and you die why would you focus on one? It seems you only get a mention in the press if that is the only condition they could trace which suggests the majority of deaths involved multiple conditions, the interesting number would be how many people have died over an above the number that could otherwise have been expected.
You definitely have a point there....and I guess without knowing the probability of each patient dying from one of these pre-existing conditions, it probably could never be proven without a doubt what actually killed them in the end...
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 1:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by AlienUk
You definitely have a point there....and I guess without knowing the probability of each patient dying from one of these pre-existing conditions, it probably could never be proven without a doubt what actually killed them in the end...
Begs the question what the rules are for death certificates, would seem logical that they would vary a bit, you would expect them to be a best opinion.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 5:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You may have a pre-existing condition that is perfectly stable and managed by medication / treatment / etc. But that pre-existing condition, coupled with this new virus, could be a nasty combo. A simple example might be a respiratory condition; you take certain drugs, your breathing is manageable. But C-19 comes along and whacks your lungs, and boom - you die. In such a case, it would seem the 'cause of death' is fairly allocated to C-19 but it's worth nothing there were contributing factors.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 5:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Difficult to acertain, won't really know an answer until we compare year on year.

It's a mute point though really, the science shows without action we would have millions more deaths worldwide,

​​​​​​
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 5:42 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I only have a small dog. I stopped her walks about 2 weeks ago...after I saw a pig of an idiot spitting every 6 feet. I don’t want to risk her bringing anything home on her paws/nose. Some countries spray disinfectant on the roads and pathways...so they must think the virus is on the ground. We take our shoes off outside, then put them on a tray by the door.
I persevered because he is 2 year old Jack Russell/terrier cross and a bundle of energy. Keeping him shut up with just the garden to run about in would be a bigger strain than dealing with the walking. But it might come to have to do just that.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 5:57 am
Account Closed

You may have a pre-existing condition that is perfectly stable and managed by medication / treatment / etc. But that pre-existing condition, coupled with this new virus, could be a nasty combo. A simple example might be a respiratory condition; you take certain drugs, your breathing is manageable. But C-19 comes along and whacks your lungs, and boom - you die. In such a case, it would seem the 'cause of death' is fairly allocated to C-19 but it's worth nothing there were contributing factors.
I can think of all sorts of examples where treatment was stable until it was not, without the C-19 issue. So yes if that was the only additional factor it may be a reasonable assumption, determining if that was the case is the tricky bit. I still would like to see the increase in the norm. The trouble I see is that the numbers are relatively small and may well be within the margin of error. Hopefully somebody is keeping track.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 7:20 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Almost 2 weeks working from home. Not too bad but not a word from my boss about anything that Ccanged in the office. Like 3 or 5 others that appear t o be absent.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 7:30 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

On British Death Certificates, this has been required (or encouraged) since the nineteenth century. Doctors are supposed to record the sequence of causes of death, for instance, vascular dementia, pneumonia. See this guidance leaflet, which has some good examples.
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-libra...fDeath_PDF.pdf

I assume it’s the same in the US, although each state is different.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing. So they are diagnosing C-19 over the phone; that's interesting. I assumed that any 'confirmed' case would involve an actual test, and that anyone with symptoms but not tested would be somehow counted differently. I'm not asking these questions to challenge anything you said, just to better understand how it's playing out in the real world ... since she has a 'pretty mild case', it's just their 'professional judgement' that she's got C-19 I presume.
Isn't it often the case that they (the medical profession) will move to a most likely diagnosis based on the presented symptoms, especially when there are large numbers and the diagnosis wouldn't alter the course of action. As an example - it could be Flu or Covid-19, but if the treatment is the same, why wait 3 days to get test results, just treat the worst case.
Old Apr 4th 2020, 1:51 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Me:
  • Just finished third week working from home. Work is absolutely insane: everyone is scrambling, everything needs to happen right now. Ridiculously stressful. It's getting to the point where it needs to stop, frankly. We need to prioritize what's actually important and let non-time-critical things go.
  • I've been exercising A LOT to burn off the above stress and have something to do.
  • Watching a Magnum PI marathon. It's the perfect combination of nostalgia, Hawaii, a Ferrari and the best mustache ever on TV. Also, I believe John Hillerman's British accent is among the best ever done by an American actor. There are also many, many episodes to get through.
My wife:
  • Not working due to lockdown. Her company will stop paying them this week but is not laying them off. She is very worried. I don't think she's going to lose her job, but it's likely that she loses significant income.
  • Baking bread every day, which I've enjoyed.
  • Built out an entire gym in our house: new treadmill, nw stationary bike, pull up bar, dip bar, weight bench etc.
  • Watching Tiger King, whatever that is.
Daughter #1 (19 years old):
  • Home from her university (Indiana University, Bloomington). Note that IU has not refunded us a cent of housing/sorority/boarding costs and has not mentioned any plans to do so, which irritates me. Misses her friends terribly. Spending some time sitting on lawns twenty feet away from local friends.
  • Taking classes online. These seem not great, to be honest. Small benefit: grading will be easy, she's got a 4.0 GPA already and it will likely be easy to maintain that.
  • Sleeping very, very late. Getting up, running five miles, going back to her room. Still: very pleasant, not complaining, lovely to be around. Even had her birthday during this and didn't complain. What a nice person.
Daughter #2 (15 years old, soon to be 16 years old):
  • Currently on spring break. Two weeks of online classes prior to that. These classes seem well organized and seem to have high work requirements.
  • Adopted painting in her room. She's painted three pictures so far.
  • A bit more bothered by this. Daughter #2 is a social animal (so is daughter #1, but daughter #2 is REALLY social). She has tremendous energy, she hates being at home, loves to be around her friends, loves to be active. She seems a bit lethargic now. I'm a bit more worried about her than I am about daughter #1, I've tried to get her to go on bike rides, hikes etc to keep her busy.

Last edited by Hiro11; Apr 4th 2020 at 1:54 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.