Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How Isolated is everyone right now?

How Isolated is everyone right now?

Old Mar 22nd 2020, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default How Isolated is everyone right now?

Is your state on lock down?
Are you on personal lock down?
Did you company temporally close down?
Are you baring all visitors from you house?
Or are you carrying on live as normal?

Old Mar 22nd 2020, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Isolated is everyone right now?

We are not on State lock down yet but MI is 5th for the highest number of cases so I am thinking it will be a matter of time, my kids have been off school for a week and have been told it is in effect until April 6th (hmmm I am thinking this will be longer too). My hubby is still working, my company shut down on thur evening for 2 weeks (paid leave). Other than that I am only going out when needed.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 7:34 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Georgia is getting up there in cases, and the nearest cluster is about 30 minutes away.

We are not on lockdown.
We are not isolating (we went to Walmart yesterday)
My employer will not lock down (healthcare)

Basically business as usual for me.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 8:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

wife is working from home, kids off school until september.

getting work to be ready for shutdown within the next week/ten days. just making as many frozen ready meals for the local village as i can and then will be on lockdown..

i work in a small village pub in the middle of nowhere in the UK, so whilst i am well aware of the risks the odds locally are still relatively small but obviously growing everyday, the government are about to basically start paying people to stay home.

Tee-hee jerseygirl, do they have Specsavers where you are?

Worth moving this to a more general forum?

Last edited by scrubbedexpat096; Mar 22nd 2020 at 10:13 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 1:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The State of Mississippi hasn't declared lockdown as yet. Our town has for the most part closed all restaurants and places of entertainment, bars, etc. Stores are still open as far as I know. I have ventured out for quick runs to the supermarket or to deliver food to an elderly former neighbor but other than that, I've not seen another person socially since my sister and brother-in-law left for home on Monday morning.

Hubby has been to the doctor and after multiple tests of blood, x-rays, etc. has been told he has bronchitis. He's being treated with meds. We're finding plenty to do about the house such as painting (yes, we already had the paint), spring clean up of the back lawn and front garden.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 1:40 pm
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

Over here in Northern NJ:
Son's HS is saying it will reopen April 20th, but subject to change closer to the time.
Other son's daycare has had to close. They are insisting they want paying while they are closed to keep his spot. We will have to take him out and then hopefully they will have a spot for him or he will have to go elsewhere.
My husband's corporate office in PA has closed down and he has to work from home 5 days per week.
My small office will close down tomorrow (in Teaneck - the epicenter of NJ) not sure how long we will get paid for and how long we will have to close for.
Apparently there is a 100 person line at BJs this morning and employees have tested positive for Covid-19, but they did not let anyone know because they were out of work for a week.
Apparently our local Stop and Shop also had its first confirmed case and failed to let the public know.
Seriously, stay home so we can get back to our regular lives.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 3:16 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Colorado is not under complete lock-down, yet. I would not be surprised if we are on lock-down this week or beginning of April as more precaution. Restaurants and bars have been closed for dine-in for a while - take-out and delivery only. Grog shops and Dispensaries are open for reg biz ("essential business"). The ski resorts were closed about 10 days ago - the mountains are hardest hit with cases w/in Colorado as its the skiing which brings in the out of staters and encourages front range travel up to the slopes. CO is taking precautionary steps. To date - 475 cases and 6 deaths.

I basically am practicing personal isolation. I work from home anyway so used to the routine (although RE is not really moving at the mo!). If I were to leave its only to top up on any grocery needs every few days or take the the dog out for a walk - basically minimizing any interactions ... and keeping my distance if people happen to cross paths! People are being very mindful about social distancing and much socializing is being done virtually. I can't help but wonder if 'we' already have been exposed to it for a while, contracted it and never ever knew it because it was fought off before it presented symptoms or symptoms were ever so mild it was dismissed as being corona. Who knows.

Old Mar 22nd 2020, 4:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Is your state on lock down?
Are you on personal lock down?
Did you company temporally close down?
Are you baring all visitors from you house?
Or are you carrying on live as normal?
No, but many businesses, including restaurants, have been ordered to close.
Yes, generally - fetching food seems to be generally acceptable under lock-down rules AFAICT, but otherwise we only go places where we won't come into contact with anyone.
No
Yes
Yes, more or less - I have been WFH for more than a year anyway, but now Mrs P has been told to too. Little Miss P starts "remote [on-line] learning" on Tuesday.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 22nd 2020 at 4:15 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 4:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am in Toronto now...but it’s the same land mass.

our Province is not on lockdown but we have been self isolation for almost 2 weeks. Easier for us because we are retired. We have been going out for walks once or twice a day, weather allowing. It is still bloody cold here. We have had no visitors. Lucky because our daughter and granddaughter live across a narrow lane from where we are and we can go to the gate to chat.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
Colorado is not under complete lock-down, yet. I would not be surprised if we are on lock-down this week or beginning of April as more precaution. Restaurants and bars have been closed for dine-in for a while - take-out and delivery only. Grog shops and Dispensaries are open for reg biz ("essential business"). The ski resorts were closed about 10 days ago - the mountains are hardest hit with cases w/in Colorado as its the skiing which brings in the out of staters and encourages front range travel up to the slopes. CO is taking precautionary steps. To date - 475 cases and 6 deaths.

I basically am practicing personal isolation. I work from home anyway so used to the routine (although RE is not really moving at the mo!). If I were to leave its only to top up on any grocery needs every few days or take the the dog out for a walk - basically minimizing any interactions ... and keeping my distance if people happen to cross paths! People are being very mindful about social distancing and much socializing is being done virtually. I can't help but wonder if 'we' already have been exposed to it for a while, contracted it and never ever knew it because it was fought off before it presented symptoms or symptoms were ever so mild it was dismissed as being corona. Who knows.

Maim St, Breckenridge, Saturday Afternoon, peak ski season. Supermarkets had a bit of business, maybe the level you might see mid week off season. Everywhere else dead. All Hotels and short term lodgings have been closed. As well as Restaurants, Bars, Ski areas, seems the shops decided there was no business so closed as well.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 4:44 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Estes Park's mayor asked the Dept of Interior to close RMNP to discourage people to venture up there to relieve their boredom because their population is mostly 65+. Makes sense.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

DH and I have been on self isolation for the past week+. He works from home anyway, and we both have underlying health problems, so it's safer to stay put. We will need to go out sometime this week to restock the basics. CA did do a lock down, but it doesn't seem that many people are paying attention to it. DIL lost her job in CO, and they can't get by with one wage coming in, and two babies to support. She is going to try or a job in the big stores, but it will be way below her capabilities, but beggars can't be choosers at this time.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I have rarely left the house since I had my battle with sepsis a year ago, so I have been practicing social distancing for a while now!

DW works in a college which has been is on Spring Break for the last week, so she was of from Thursday. Her office is way away from others, but nothing has been announced about the staff as yet, so she is planning to go to work tomorrow. She had her last radiation treatment last week and we are both 61, so we're in the vulnerable range and taking it seriously!

Old Mar 22nd 2020, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

priceycheese is an unknown quantity at this point

Here in the Bay Area we're on lockdown. My work sent us home to work two weeks ago now. Gotta say I'm praying I don't have to go to a hospital if I'm one of the unlucky ones. Healthy so far, and just going out for groceries and a walk every day.

How fast everything considered normal has changed. Stay safe everyone. Best advice I've read: Act as though you've already got it.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 6:37 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs L and I locked ourselves away 12 days ago. We were well prepared as Mrs L had us stocked up for the big earthquake, plus due to a slight mistake when she thought she was ordering cans, but in fact ordered boxes, we have 25 years supply of emergency egg noodles. I go out twice a day to walk the dog, other than that no-one in or out.

Our State Governor is proving to be a complete waste of time. She is becoming an expert at 180 degree turns or just not making a decision. She refuses to order a lock down which allowed the idiots to swamp the coastal towns for spring break. She ordered 20,000 virus tests from a private laboratory, but guess what no actually testing kits. So no-one really knows how many people in Oregon are infected, just how many are in hospital, or worse. We are seeing the worse of a one sided political structure where one party has so much support you get elected if you run under their ticket. The top jobs go to whose turn it is next rather than requiring ability to be elected, and now the price is being paid.

On the plus side, we watched the first 4 series of The Yorkshire Vet on Acorn sometime ago, and last night I discovered series 5 - 8 on Tubi. Also Netflix now have series 3- 6 of Ice Pilots to keep me amused.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.