Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Apr 13th 2019, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Twist on wire connectors are more complicated than one would imagine. The IDEAL company is the major manufacturer and their website or others can provide useage charts. There are wire nuts and wing nuts. The largest one is a blue wing nut to be used for #12 wire greater that four. The red wing nut can hold more than a red wirenut. In any case you just have to select what is required for the size and number of wires you are twisting together to comply with code and manufacture recommendations. I used to frequent a electrician chat website when I was wiring my house and was surprised by the many difference of opinions concerning electrical code interpretations.

Last edited by ddsrph; Apr 13th 2019 at 1:57 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2019, 2:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Twist on wire connectors are more complicated than one would imagine. The IDEAL company is the major manufacturer and their website or others can provide useage charts. There are wire nuts and wing nuts. The largest one is a blue wing nut to be used for #12 wire greater that four. The red wing nut can hold more than a red wirenut. In any case you just have to select what is required for the size and number of wires you are twisting together to comply with code and manufacture recommendations. I used to frequent a electrician chat website when I was wiring my house and was surprised by the many difference of opinions concerning electrical code interpretations.

I have never seen, in a store, nor in use, a giant blue wire nut, but a few seconds with Google confirmed my experience.

And these are the wire nuts I have, plus some unusual cream colored ones (I don't think they're the tan ones referred to above) that are about the same size as the orange, and some tiny yellow ones the same size as the blues, that came with ceiling fans.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 13th 2019 at 2:21 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2019, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the ideal website and look at their chart. You will see the blue wing nut. I used them in the past. They are interchangeable with wire nuts if you follow the min and max wire size combinations. The blue wing nut is especially useful for wires larger than 10 gauge but can be used for larger number of #12’s. The picture you posted is wire nuts not wing nuts. Wing nuts are more commonly used due to better grip for tightening. Please post the wing nut chart I don’t know how to do that from my iPhone.

Last edited by ddsrph; Apr 13th 2019 at 2:44 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2019, 3:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the ideal website and look at their chart. You will see the blue wing nut. .... Please post the wing nut chart I don’t know how to do that from my iPhone.

I can't find a complete suite of wing nut style wire nuts, but I did find this, which I think illustrates your point.

BTW Have you considered upgrading to an android phone? ​​​​​​

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 13th 2019 at 3:30 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2019, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you went to the ideal website you saw the blue wing nut that is one size larger than the red. I was just there myself and saw the picture of the series you just posted. I also saw the series ,just seconds ago , that includes the larger blue size. If you want to insist it doesn’t exist in the interest of never being wrong I fully understand.
Old Apr 13th 2019, 3:42 pm

If you went to the ideal website you saw the blue wing nut that is one size larger than the red. I was just there myself and saw the picture of the series you just posted. I also saw the series ,just seconds ago , that includes the larger blue size. If you want to insist it doesn’t exist in the interest of never being wrong I fully understand.
I added abother picture above, perhaps while you were posting, with a blue nut that is larger than the red.

Mrs P would be happy to confirm that I am wrong more often than I think I am.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 13th 2019 at 3:46 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2019, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I added abother picture above, perhaps while you were posting, with a blue nut that is larger than the red.

Mrs P would be happy to confirm that I am wrong more often than I think I am.
Apologies for last post. I need to learn how to post photos. I just tried to post a photo from my phone and can never get it to work. When I decided to wire my new house I spent many hours online and reading trying to come up to speed on codes and one recommendation that turned out to be very valuable was a book titled “WIRING A HOUSE” by Rex Caldwell. I highly recommend it for anyone doing their own residential electrical work.
Old Apr 13th 2019, 4:35 pm

Apologies for last post. I need to learn how to post photos. I just tried to post a photo from my phone and can never get it to work. ....
I used to hot-link directly to other pictures, but I don't know if it is still possible since they changed the BE site structure. However it is now easy to download a picture from a web site, then upload (using the picture icon above the text box) the picture from the downloads folder of my "device".
Old Apr 13th 2019, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I used to hot-link directly to other pictures, but I don't know if it is still possible since they changed the BE site structure. However it is now easy to download a picture from a web site, then upload (using the picture icon above the text box) the picture from the downloads folder of my "device".
What I try to do is download from my photo library, I click on manage attachments and it gives me the proper option to select from photos which I do then it appears to upload but doesn’t take me back to where I can submit post.
Old Apr 13th 2019, 5:32 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend you to replace toilet tank's seals and bolts (especially if you are seeing rust stains) to avoid "misfortunes". My tank came off yesterday and dumped its water all over the place. I laugh now, but the panic is worsened from restricted ankles and certainly make reaction times problematic, I can tell ya! The bolts had corroded as well as the rubber after all these years; thank goodness I don't need to replace the toilet but I am now replacing all hardware as a precaution in all the toilets! It is NOT recommended to use those in tank cleaner pucks as those are the source of the corrosion ... the more you know!!
Old Apr 13th 2019, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
I would recommend you to replace toilet tank's seals and bolts (especially if you are seeing rust stains) to avoid "misfortunes". My tank came off yesterday and dumped its water all over the place. I laugh now, but the panic is worsened from restricted ankles and certainly make reaction times problematic, I can tell ya! The bolts had corroded as well as the rubber after all these years; thank goodness I don't need to replace the toilet but I am now replacing all hardware as a precaution in all the toilets! It is NOT recommended to use those in tank cleaner pucks as those are the source of the corrosion ... the more you know!!
Public water, with its chlorine content is corrosive even without the tank pucks, with a common problem being the mess it makes of the rubber "flapper" used in the flush mechanism of most toilets in the US. You should inspect you flappers regularly and will probably need to replace them every 3-5 years.

If you have the toilet dismantled you should consider replacing not only the bolts and bolt seals, but also the main tank seal, where it meets the pan, and the whole flush mechanism. ... If you're replacing the flush lever remember it screws in place with an anti clockwise thread.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 13th 2019 at 5:46 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2019, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
Now the midwest winter is finally over, projects are starting this weekend!

Aside from little things around the house, I want to get the back yard all finished and complete. This is going to involve taking down the old decking, breaking up the concrete, putting down new turf (Sorry, but I refuse to call it sod!), redoing the plant areas, and painting the garage. We will be getting rid of the decking completely, and installing wooden steps that will go down onto the new patio where the concrete was. Once this is down, and the planting areas have been done, then new turf can go down! Few questions:

1) Wife wants flagstone. I've never worked with that before. What are thoughts? Easy to install? I've read it's a case of making sure run off water goes away from the house, and you can just lay it on top of dirt. Is it really this 'simple'?

2) If flagstone isn't recommended, what would you recommend? Looking for something quick and easy to install!

2) The new steps. How easy is it to install just a set of steps from the back door to the ground? We just want some wooden steps.
I have always dumped sand on the dirt and then levelled the sand, in the UK I found it easier to set each flag on four mounds of mortar which makes it easier to level, however when I relaid the garden path here I just raked the Florida dirt ( which is what normal people call sand!!) and laid the flags directly, six months later and some small bas$#ad critter - possum?- has dug so many holes under it looking for bugs that I'm wondering why I bothered in the first place.

Steps are easy enough to cut, stringers are a bit of a faff if you aren't used to doing them but once you have the maths sussed you can do them quickly with a roofers square, two stair gauges (cheap from Lowe's/HD) and a steady hand on a skill saw.
If you want to cut your own I can work through the setting out process for you - but I'm not going to do it unless you want to do them! There are probably heaps of vids on the net but there are some handy tips that a tradesman uses that a DIY vid poster might not know!
Old Apr 13th 2019, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lowes sells precut stair stringers made from pressure treated pine. They are in the area where the deck material is located. A nice touch to wooden steps is to pour a small landing pad from sacrete concrete mix. I usually make a form from two by fours and dig out inside to get a good concrete thickness. Having a edging tool helps round and smooth the edges then use a broom to get a non skid finish.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone got a tankless water heater?
If so does it have service valves?

Just discovered that ours does not and I'll need to get them plumbed in order to descale the unit.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Anyone got a tankless water heater?
If so does it have service valves?

Just discovered that ours does not and I'll need to get them plumbed in order to descale the unit.
Yes and yes. I flush it yearly with vinegar. Flushed it in January with a submersible pump and a couple washer hookup pipes.

T​​​​​hat really sucks that the plumber did not add those as part of installation.

Its probably diyable, but I'd still get a pro to do the work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.