Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Mar 4th 2019, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

I'm currently rebuilding a 20 year old mower...
I spent ages trying to fire up the engine

Only to learn that it won't fire up without the blade attached.
Momentum and all that...
Old Mar 4th 2019, 2:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I'm currently rebuilding a 20 year old mower...
I spent ages trying to fire up the engine ..... Only to learn that it won't fire up without the blade attached. ...
Momentum and all that...
You can destroy the motor of a mower if you try to start it without the blade attached as mower engines are designed without a flywheel - the blade acts as the flywheel. The result of trying to start a mower engine without the blade can be that, if the timing is off, the ignition of the fuel in the cylinder can cause the piston to turn the crank the wrong way. I hear the results can be catastrophic.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Right.
Old Mar 9th 2019, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

The time has come. I've decided to go salt water for the pool. My next DIY project as soon as it arrives.
Old Mar 9th 2019, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
The time has come. I've decided to go salt water for the pool. My next DIY project as soon as it arrives.
You won't regret it. I switched to salt water right after I moved in to this house. Have never had any problems with the water.

Old Mar 9th 2019, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
You won't regret it. I switched to salt water right after I moved in to this house. Have never had any problems with the water.
Ew yuk ... what's the big advantage? I hate swimming in the sea, always getting mouthfuls of saltwater!
Old Mar 9th 2019, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Ew yuk ... what's the big advantage? I hate swimming in the sea, always getting mouthfuls of saltwater!
From my research the benefits are more in not having to faff around with liquid chlorine (aka pouring bleach into the pool multiple times a week).

Note that pool salt water is a tenth of the salinity in the ocean. I don't think you can taste it.
Old Mar 9th 2019, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

As Tom says, the salt is barely noticeable. The system uses electrolysis to convert the salt into chlorine alleviating the need to manually add liquid chlorine or use chlorine tablets which cause their own problems.

The result is crystal clear water with very little maintenance. The salt also improves the feel of the water. Salt is used in household water softeners.

Oh. And none of the seaweed, or other contamination caused by all of the 'wildlife' relieving themselves in it.
Old Mar 9th 2019, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Oh. And none of the seaweed, or other contamination caused by all of the 'wildlife' relieving themselves in it.
As the great WC Fields said, when asked why he preferred whisky to water, "Fish piss in it"
Old Mar 10th 2019, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

As Tom says, the salt is barely noticeable. The system uses electrolysis to convert the salt into chlorine alleviating the need to manually add liquid chlorine or use chlorine tablets which cause their own problems.

The result is crystal clear water with very little maintenance. The salt also improves the feel of the water. Salt is used in household water softeners.

Thanks! Good to know. So is it even slightly noticeable? I realize one doesn't go around intentionally gulping down pool water at the best of times, so it's just the water you get on your lips, etc as you swim around.

I guess it's not an issue for me now as I just bought a new place in AZ and it doesn't have it's own private pool (has a communal one).
Old Mar 10th 2019, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The salt also improves the feel of the water. Salt is used in household water softeners.
Yes but I don't think it's added to the water. it's used to extract the contaminants.
Old Mar 10th 2019, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Yes but I don't think it's added to the water. it's used to extract the contaminants.
Well, the water passes through it and I have heard that it does make the water slightly salty. The new place I bought has some fancy water softener, so I guess I'll find out soon enough (take possession at the end of the month).
Old Mar 10th 2019, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks! Good to know. So is it even slightly noticeable? I realize one doesn't go around intentionally gulping down pool water at the best of times, so it's just the water you get on your lips, etc as you swim around.

I guess it's not an issue for me now as I just bought a new place in AZ and it doesn't have it's own private pool (has a communal one).
It is at a level where some people notice, some don't. It's certainly not unpleasant. It's less salty than your own tears, which raises another point: It's much more comfortable to open your eyes in a salt water pool than a regular one.

BTW: If you can smell chlorine in a pool, that is bad. You should not be able to detect the chlorine.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

You only smell chlorine in a pool when it is chewing through something bad in the water. A private pool doesn't have to worry about the great unwashed peeing constantly.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 4:48 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

We use chlorine tabs in an inline doser in our pool and there's no smell or irritant as far as we've noticed. Very simple to use too. Getting to that time when it will soon be warm enough to get back in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.