Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old May 9th 2017, 3:17 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Are you sure there's no pipe attached - surely a plumber should have noticed that? I

It seems more likely that the overflow is leaking. There should be an L-shaped pipe connecting the overflow to the drain, and there is a foam washer that makes a seal between the top end if the L and the back of the overflow hole.

We have had leaks from both the upstairs shower - now FIXED, and the upstairs bath, for which the source has never been conclusively proved, but hasn't leaked in more than a year, since I inserted a foam seal behind the water spout in the tub (so a leak from the same part of the tub), after trying multiple other fixes.
I can't see up there but Pulaski, from the amount of water on the floor below and the spread of the drops, I don't think it's a leak. It really looks like the water just came straight down.
Anyway, the guy is coming back later so he will no doubt verify this.
Old May 9th 2017, 3:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I can't see up there but Pulaski, from the amount of water on the floor below and the spread of the drops, I don't think it's a leak. It really looks like the water just came straight down.
Anyway, the guy is coming back later so he will no doubt verify this.
This is what it looks like, and while it is assembled from parts, so in theory it could be an incomplete assembly, that is IMO unlikely, and much more likely that the point where the top of the pipe attaches has pulled away from the tub, where there should be a fat foam seal.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 9th 2017 at 3:25 pm.
Old May 9th 2017, 3:38 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the diagram P.

I can feel the pipe going to the overflow and it is connected (phew!). I can feel a seal and the water pipe immediately underneath it is wet. thank you.
Old May 9th 2017, 3:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the diagram P.

I can feel the pipe going to the overflow and it is connected (phew!). I can feel a seal and the water pipe immediately underneath it is wet. thank you.
You're welcome.

There should be a big screw in the front of the overflow cap, inside the tub, that can be tightened-up to pull the top of the L back towards the tub and squash the foam seal.
Old May 9th 2017, 3:52 pm
Austin. TX.

ok, so that screw was really loose, the overflow cover was moving around so I tightened it as much as I could. Then I tested it again but it's still leaking but not as much.
Old May 9th 2017, 4:01 pm

ok, so that screw was really loose, the overflow cover was moving around so I tightened it as much as I could. Then I tested it again but it's still leaking but not as much.
Hmmm. It may need a new, or fatter, seal, so your plumber can work his magic by inserting a new seal up behind the tub. .... I doubt there us room to insert it though the overflow hole.

Discussion about poor quality plumbing installations would fill a whole chapter in the Encyclopedia of Crappy American Home Construction.
Old May 22nd 2017, 3:58 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I've decided that my Memorial Day weekend project is going to be a replacement of a 40 foot section of standard fencing (something ).

Couple of questions for the brain trust:

1. For each individual panel, do I go with screws or nails? (What's the pros/cons of each)? I'm thinking about hiring a nail gun to make it go quicker.

2. The section I'm replacing is on a gradual slope, how should I best handle the downwards trend? (The current fencing is totally different, being held up by ivy, so I'm not going to be able to get an idea from that).
Old May 22nd 2017, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by username.exe
I've decided that my Memorial Day weekend project is going to be a replacement of a 40 foot section of standard fencing (something http://www.thebluebook.com/webmount/...03.12%20PM.png).

Couple of questions for the brain trust:

1. For each individual panel, do I go with screws or nails? (What's the pros/cons of each)? I'm thinking about hiring a nail gun to make it go quicker.

2. The section I'm replacing is on a gradual slope, how should I best handle the downwards trend? (The current fencing is totally different, being held up by ivy, so I'm not going to be able to get an idea from that).
Are you buying panels, or buying boards and rails to assemble? You'll have a problem with panels and a slope, so I am assuming rails and boards. [2] If you have a constant gradient and/ or want a smooth top edge you should attach the boards at each end and then use a string a connected between them to give the top a constant gradient. You can do that even if the ground doesn't have a constant gradient by trimming the lower edge of the board.

Is it for privacy or is it meant to be dog proof? ..... If it doesn't need to be dog proof I'd leave a couple of extra inches above the ground to reduce the tendency to rot.

[1]In theory a screwed fence would be stronger, and you could use deck screws, potentially with a square drive - making it hard for anyone to maliciously dismantle the fence. Whether using nails or screws you have the potential to split the boards, so predrilling the boards for screws would reduce do that risk, but I suspect that nails are less likely to split the boards anyway. And yes, I would rent a nail gun. .... Well personally I would buy a nail gun!
Old May 23rd 2017, 2:19 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Are you buying panels, or buying boards and rails to assemble? You'll have a problem with panels and a slope, so I am assuming rails and boards. [2] If you have a constant gradient and/ or want a smooth top edge you should attach the boards at each end and then use a string a connected between them to give the top a constant gradient. You can do that even if the ground doesn't have a constant gradient by trimming the lower edge of the board.

Is it for privacy or is it meant to be dog proof? ..... If it doesn't need to be dog proof I'd leave a couple of extra inches above the ground to reduce the tendency to rot.

[1]In theory a screwed fence would be stronger, and you could use deck screws, potentially with a square drive - making it hard for anyone to maliciously dismantle the fence. Whether using nails or screws you have the potential to split the boards, so predrilling the boards for screws would reduce do that risk, but I suspect that nails are less likely to split the boards anyway. And yes, I would rent a nail gun. .... Well personally I would buy a nail gun!
Thank you Pulaski. Whilst it's for privacy now, it's not inconceivable that we could get new neighbors with a dog in the future. I was planning on buying the posts, rails and panels individually as I figured the panels would be awkward - will definitely get the nail gun and use the string technique. I guess I also need to hire an arbor, too.
Old May 25th 2017, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's a few hundred dollars blown on pool upkeep tools.

Will be taking on the maintenance myself partly to save money, but also to learn about it. Should be an interesting project.
Old May 25th 2017, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by tom169
Well that's a few hundred dollars blown on pool upkeep tools.

Will be taking on the maintenance myself partly to save money, but also to learn about it. ....
You're going in at the deep end? ....
Old May 25th 2017, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

You're going in at the deep end? ....
Not entirely.

I have a pool company coming out next Friday to check all the things and open it up.

After that I'll take the reins.
Old May 25th 2017, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Not entirely.

I have a pool company coming out next Friday to check all the things and open it up.

After that I'll take the reins.
I highly recommend https://www.troublefreepool.com/cont...-TFP-Home-Page

They have a huge amount of expertise and information.

Above all: stay out of the Pool Store They are there simply to separate you from your money.

Don't believe a word they say and don't use their 'free' testing. See above...

Get your own test kit from TFTestkits.net
Old May 25th 2017, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I highly recommend https://www.troublefreepool.com/cont...-TFP-Home-Page

They have a huge amount of expertise and information.

Above all: stay out of the Pool Store They are there simply to separate you from your money.

Don't believe a word they say and don't use their 'free' testing. See above...

Get your own test kit from TFTestkits.net
Thanks, will check that out!

There is a guy I follow on YouTube too who has a video that seems to cover anything.

I already bought a test kit - K2006 I think is what it's called.
Old May 25th 2017, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, will check that out!

There is a guy I follow on YouTube too who has a video that seems to cover anything.

I already bought a test kit - K2006 I think is what it's called.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.