Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Aug 16th 2020, 7:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Today I picked tomatoes, a little under-ripe to beat the critters. A couple of days in the kitchen and they will be fully ripe, these are "brandy boy" ....
It's good to see that you're growing imperial tomatoes in the US of A, not those communist, metric tomatoes!
Old Aug 16th 2020, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Today I picked tomatoes, a little under-ripe to beat the critters. A couple of days in the kitchen and they will be fully ripe, these are "brandy boy"

Oh boy - I'm truly salivating now! I absolutely adore good tomatoes! My grandparents grew tomatoes when I was a young boy and I'll never forget the unique flavor. Oh what a memory! They also grew 'english peas' - (pea pods) - and they were utterly delightful also ...

Old Aug 16th 2020, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
Are you missing a light in the ceiling? I only ask as the front room/office in my house doesn't have a ceiling light and it really bugs me, but not enough for me to go crawling through the room to wire one in.
LOL, yep. No idea why there is no light in this room. Not sure if and what kind of light is going in yet.
Originally Posted by Pulaski
Do you have access under or over the room? I installed the cables for surround sound in the walls and under the floor. It took some time and patience to thread the cables, but it's great having wall-mounted speakers behind the sofa without having cables trailed across the floor.
This is absolutely the way to go. Might be beyond the realms of my skills though. I'm ok trailing the wires in the same wall, but getting them from the front of the room to the back I think will require me getting someone in.

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Congrats on the new home! Have prices come down a bit due to the virus, etc?

But I may be able to offer one bit of advice. I see you have a power recliner in the middle of the room, with a power brick leading to it. I bought a similar recliner recently. And just a few weeks ago, I discovered that nearly all power recliners use the same connectors, and I was able to replace the power cord with a battery that I picked up on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Not cheap at $99, but it worked perfectly! Apparently it will run for months without a charge. Then when it runs down, you just plug it in for half a day and you get another 3 months. I actually have two recliners side by side, and the one battery feeds both of them.
As for the lighting - I find the classic 'center of ceiling' light to be very unattractive, and something only found in UK. If you are going to spend time and money on lighting, I'd put in a bunch of recessed lights around the ceiling.
Quite the opposite on house prices. I thought we had picked a real stupid time to sell. Turns out we timed it perfectly. House prices are going through the roof here. Now that people are working from home, in some cases permanently, folk are moving down here in droves from the bay area. Our place sold in a week for 15k over asking price. The recliner is temporary. This house is exactly twice the size of the old one, so we don't have enough furniture yet LOL. A nice sectional is on the way. Recessed lights are definitely in the frame, its a look I really like.

Originally Posted by Nutek
We had a 7 speaker surround (+ sub). When we moved house I chucked it in the dumpster and we just went with a sound bar. Just couldn't face all the fuss and extra hardware littering the place.

Not gonna claim the bar sounds better (it doesn't), but it isn't THAT much "worse" and it is clean, simple and fuss-free.
I keep flip flopping. I'm not an audiophile, and the simplicity of the sound bar is appealing. I do like the idea though of being able to upgrade components.

Old Aug 16th 2020, 11:13 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1

I keep flip flopping. I'm not an audiophile, and the simplicity of the sound bar is appealing. I do like the idea though of being able to upgrade components.
I upgraded my components into a sound bar.

But yeah, I know what you mean.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 1:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

All these garden pictures, oh how nice.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 3:02 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's good to see that you're growing imperial tomatoes in the US of A, not those communist, metric tomatoes!
Being born in the late 1960s I have always worked in both the Imperial and metric systems. All my school maths and science was metric, with the exception of cookery in home economics where the recipes were often still in pounds and ounces, but at home the oven was in Fahrenheit and recipes were definitely pounds, ounces, fl.oz. and pints. In my professional life lab calculations are in metric, though original dimensions of parts may be manufactured in inches. I still tend to cook in pounds and ounces, have to be careful to check which pints I am using and my US bought oven has been set to Celsius for temperature. My fruit and veg also always grow in Imperial (not standard or metric) units

Our local brew pub uses UK pint glasses as standard too!
Old Aug 17th 2020, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Being born in the late 1960s I have always worked in both the Imperial and metric systems. All my school maths and science was metric, with the exception of cookery in home economics where the recipes were often still in pounds and ounces, but at home the oven was in Fahrenheit and recipes were definitely pounds, ounces, fl.oz. and pints. In my professional life lab calculations are in metric, though original dimensions of parts may be manufactured in inches. I still tend to cook in pounds and ounces, have to be careful to check which pints I am using and my US bought oven has been set to Celsius for temperature. My fruit and veg also always grow in Imperial (not standard or metric) units

Our local brew pub uses UK pint glasses as standard too!
Don't know about you, but I convert all the various 'volumes' when cooking into ounces, then I weight everything while cooking. So ... 2 cups of flour, or 4 tablespoons of .... etc all get converted to oz first, then I start!
Old Aug 17th 2020, 8:52 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about you, but I convert all the various 'volumes' when cooking into ounces, then I weight everything while cooking. So ... 2 cups of flour, or 4 tablespoons of .... etc all get converted to oz first, then I start!
Most of my recipe books are UK, but when I use US recipes with dry goods by volume I use the cup measurement the first time and note how much each ingredient weighed on the recipe, so essentially the same as you do.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Most of my recipe books are UK, but when I use US recipes with dry goods by volume I use the cup measurement the first time and note how much each ingredient weighed on the recipe, so essentially the same as you do.
What about when you use a UK recipe book? Don't they also use weird volume references (eg, for flour)? I left UK before I ever thought about cooking much
Old Aug 17th 2020, 11:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

What about when you use a UK recipe book? Don't they also use weird volume references (eg, for flour)? .....
Anything that is "dry" in the UK is always specified by weight - ounces or grams ..... there may be a few things in small quanties, such as spices, or anything else used in very small quantiies, that might be specified in either teaspoons or table spoons.
Old Aug 17th 2020, 11:22 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Today I picked tomatoes, a little under-ripe to beat the critters. A couple of days in the kitchen and they will be fully ripe, these are "brandy boy"
Those look wonderful! I grow cherry tomatoes as they are all in pots on my deck, and they are just starting to ripen. I had frozen eight portions of pesto for the winter, and lost all except the one we ate during the power outage. So back to work yesterday and made four more packages. I’ve also made ten jars of chili pickle so far.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 12:04 am
Turning into a PA gal!

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Those look wonderful! I grow cherry tomatoes as they are all in pots on my deck, and they are just starting to ripen. I had frozen eight portions of pesto for the winter, and lost all except the one we ate during the power outage. So back to work yesterday and made four more packages. I’ve also made ten jars of chili pickle so far.
I will be making this https://theviewfromgreatisland.com/s...-pepper-jelly/ once I have ripe hot chillies. I put it into the jars hot, like jam, screw the lids down tight and wait to hear them pop sealed as they cool and then store them in the garage fridge until needed.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Farmhouse table project completed
Old Aug 18th 2020, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by newadventure
Farmhouse table project completed ...
You made that? It looks great!

What's it made from oak, or clear pine? I can't see enough detail to decide.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 18th 2020 at 5:10 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
Made from pine. Would have loved to use something like oak, but that would have been expensive and i had no idea if it was going to work or not

I can't see enough detail to decide.
Exactly - you can't see all the little mistakes from here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.